Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 5th July 2018, 09:11 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38144
41 posts since Apr 2018
Default Done VRT, am I gonna be OK?

Iíve done the VRT today, to my disappointement they do not give you the reg. number straight away but rather he said you get a text when the Revenue is ready and then go there again (theyíre open 2 days/week) to pay and get the plate. This can take up to ten days so July 15th perhaps.

One thing that bugs me is that on the receipt, they copied the mileage from the odo so it is in miles instead of km, but as you can see it just says "Odometer: 4252" (which is 6840 km!). I am afraid some big head at the Revenue will add VAT because of the ď6000 rule" (?).

Second thing, 4 days ago I got a letter from the insurance dated June 27 (insurance started June 16th) saying I have 12 days to change plates. Otherwise itíll be cancelled.
June 27 + 12 days = ~July 9th deadline, but I might not be able to get my new reg. no. before then (?).
Iíve just mailed them the VRT receipt to show that Iíve done it.

Should I be worried about these two issues??

See documents: Link to Photo (830 kB)
Old 5th July 2018, 09:14 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 33197
1,446 posts since May 2014
Motorbike: zx10
Modifications: a few
Default Re: Done VRT, am I gonna be OK?

Just email the insurance company the vrt receipt
Old 5th July 2018, 10:36 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,127 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: R1, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

your best to ring them in a few days as they dont always text
Old 5th July 2018, 11:20 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 3193 from 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
2,640 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: Yer aul wan
Modifications: Sphincter tightener

Originally Posted by Paravians
but as you can see it just says "Odometer: 4252" (which is 6840 km!). I am afraid some big head at the Revenue will add VAT because of the ď6000 rule" (?).

Just tell 'em that the ODO is miles. (Don't think it will even be an issue).
They say 10 days just to cover themselves, but in reality I think I only had to wait 3 days and I got the text. I think they've a fairly quick turnaround because the sooner they get in touch, the sooner they get paid.

Insurance company should be happy with receipt, again, just ring 'em.
Old 5th July 2018, 11:32 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,713 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Iíve done the VRT today, to my disappointement they do not give you the reg. number straight away but rather he said you get a text when the Revenue is ready and then go there again (theyíre open 2 days/week) to pay and get the plate. This can take up to ten days so July 15th perhaps.

One thing that bugs me is that on the receipt, they copied the mileage from the odo so it is in miles instead of km, but as you can see it just says "Odometer: 4252" (which is 6840 km!). I am afraid some big head at the Revenue will add VAT because of the ď6000 rule" (?).

Second thing, 4 days ago I got a letter from the insurance dated June 27 (insurance started June 16th) saying I have 12 days to change plates. Otherwise itíll be cancelled.
June 27 + 12 days = ~July 9th deadline, but I might not be able to get my new reg. no. before then (?).
Iíve just mailed them the VRT receipt to show that Iíve done it.

Should I be worried about these two issues??

I was through the process recently and i got my registration before i left the centre, find any paperwork they gave you and , read thoroughly, the reg number is probably there....did you pay a vrt amount on the day.

The last six digits of the frame/chassis is your pin to road tax the bike and two weeks after paying rod tax your log book will arrive, sounds like you got a muppet at the office, some staff are only in training and mix rules for cages with bikes......

No need to be worrying about insurance once everything is legit, my insurance gave me a month to get plates changes....but i had them in two days...........................................good luck
Old 5th July 2018, 11:38 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

41 posts since Apr 2018

Yes I told him that the odo is (obviously) in miles when he asked me to turn on the ignition, even mentioned that 4252ml=6840 km. Yet he wrote a generic 4252 on the receipt.

I am probably overworrying... a habit I've formed the hard way when dealing with public services.
Old 5th July 2018, 11:42 PM
Novice Racer

41 posts since Apr 2018

Originally Posted by The Road Runner
I was through the process recently and i got my registration before i left the centre, find any paperwork they gave you and , read thoroughly, the reg number is probably there....did you pay a vrt amount on the day.
I didn't pay a cent, the document in the link above is the only paperwork I got. No reg number. They specified that now, one must wait for the documentation to get into the Revenue system and after some days, you get a txt to get there again (no need to bring the bike he said), pay and get the reg.
Old 6th July 2018, 12:28 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,713 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

I didn't pay a cent, the document in the link above is the only paperwork I got. No reg number. They specified that now, one must wait for the documentation to get into the Revenue system and after some days, you get a txt to get there again (no need to bring the bike he said), pay and get the reg.
This is ridiculous

I have never experienced this , i have cleared dozens of bikes, im thinking now the problem is the mistaken mileage reading, lookss like you are getting set up for the vat hit......do not pay this extra money , just make them aware of their error....
Old 6th July 2018, 12:36 AM
Novice Racer

41 posts since Apr 2018

I think it's like PADDYOT said, since they KNOW odo mileage is in miles for any vehicle imported from the UK, obviously. So even if he wrote 4252 on the receipt (as 'odometer reading'), the Revenue will figure out the conversion to km. They cannot be so STUPID... in fact I even felt condescending when pointing out that it was in miles to the inspector.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:00 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23635 from Galway
2,685 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: MT-09 Tracer, SV650

That only happens when they can't identify the bike...
Bonneville is surely on their system but Bonneville SE probably isn't...
They're too dumb to figure it out so refer it head office...
Would be surprised if you don't hear from them today...
Old 6th July 2018, 09:04 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35531 from Cork
112 posts since Nov 2015
Motorbike: Husky TE300i
Modifications: Zero

This normal, I wouldn't panic at all.

They tend to do it on alot of the newer vehicles also being VRT'd. Wait until you get the call, they'll tell you the figure owed and then send another text as a reminder. Its a case of just pop back and pay then. If its more then what you think you should pay, appeal it once paid.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:28 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31434 from Dublin
357 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: KTM 990 SMR, KTM 690

Originally Posted by Bruce
That only happens when they can't identify the bike...
Bonneville is surely on their system but Bonneville SE probably isn't...
They're too dumb to figure it out so refer it head office...
Would be surprised if you don't hear from them today...
Me neither! Few issues with various KTMs. My SMR wasn't on their system so it's now an SMT!
Old 6th July 2018, 07:18 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,312 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights

Yes I told him that the odo is (obviously) in miles when he asked me to turn on the ignition, even mentioned that 4252ml=6840 km. Yet he wrote a generic 4252 on the receipt.

I am probably overworrying... a habit I've formed the hard way when dealing with public services.
You aren't dealing with the public service, you are dealing with a private company who do the job on behalf of Revenue.
Old 10th July 2018, 02:51 PM
Novice Racer

41 posts since Apr 2018

Just to confirm in case it happens to someone else, that I have received the text message ('your registration fee is now available') 2 days after the VRT, so I've been there today and they didn't charge any VAT (despite my worry about the generic "Odometer: 4252" on their receipt).

I've also changed my insurance details (online) with the new reg no. and tomorrow I will be able to pay the motor tax (online) and finally be done.

To conclude, I must say that after reading so much about importing from the UK, I thought it wasn't so easy (and no ferry receipt either), also thanks to the huge help from this forum of course!
Old 12th July 2018, 10:54 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35672
511 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Ducati 899 Panigale

Originally Posted by The Road Runner
This is ridiculous

I have never experienced this , i have cleared dozens of bikes, im thinking now the problem is the mistaken mileage reading, lookss like you are getting set up for the vat hit......do not pay this extra money , just make them aware of their error....

It happened to me a few months ago qhwn i imported my bike, if its not on the system or the clowns cant find it takes a nice month for revenue to sort it in my case
Old 12th July 2018, 11:47 PM
Novice Racer

41 posts since Apr 2018

Perhaps they don't want to take risks: when we walked to the bike the guy noticed "Bonneville SE" on the side panels - and he even asked me - so this is the "SE" huh? (it actually says "Bonneville 865" on the V5... because of course the only difference with the SE is the colour scheme), hence (I presume) the wait.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
gonna, vrt