Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 3rd July 2018, 09:31 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 36354
269 posts since Jul 2016
Default Gsx650f or....?

Hi, thinking about picking up 2009 gsx650f over the weekend but still hesitating about xj6 or maybe something else, anyone has any experience with those? Seem to tick all my boxes and general reviews are pretty good but would like to listen some more opinions. It's gonna be my second bike I had cbr250r before but that was long time ago, i had a chance of riding er6n and liked it but as I am over 6f and just shy of 110kg it was bit too small on the other hand cbf600 bored the shit outta me and didn't like a look of it at all. Liking the look of gsx650f the most but would consider Diversion or something else, budget is around 3k but could stretch for perfect bike. Love gixxers and r6 but insurance ppl don't want to see me on those just yet. Appreciate any input.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:20 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 36518
222 posts since Aug 2016
Motorbike: GSX-R750, CB500
Default Re: Gsx650f or....?

You should also consider hornet 600, fz6, bandit, SV650.

Gsx650f is basically a faired bandit.

Hornet will have the most power of the above, not sure how it would suit someone of your stature.

SV650S is a great sport bike and would prepare you well for a Gixxer or r6 down the road, torquey v-twin which works really well in the real world and sounds good too.

FZ6 is a do it all bike with a detuned r6 engine.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:31 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Im riding a GSX600F at the moment. Great all round bike but it comes with some limitations.

They can be slightly more difficult to control at very low speed (U-Turns etc).
They are a relatively heavy bike, and if getting yer knee down is your thing, then forget it. They tend to be a bit top heavy, like all Bandit variants but with all those fairings dropping them gets expensive.

If you want a bike thats ideal for commuting, will happily do a bit of touring, and are fast enough to lose your license in no time at all with a bit of effort then a GSX-F ticks the boxes.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:05 AM
ISB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Fred Flinstone
You should also consider hornet 600, fz6, bandit, SV650.

Gsx650f is basically a faired bandit.

Hornet will have the most power of the above, not sure how it would suit someone of your stature.

SV650S is a great sport bike and would prepare you well for a Gixxer or r6 down the road, torquey v-twin which works really well in the real world and sounds good too.

FZ6 is a do it all bike with a detuned r6 engine.
It is indeed refreshed bandit s, but that doesn't put me off, hornets and fazers don't really float my boat I think i am more about fully faired bike, something maybe like vfr800 but lighter and with more forgiving engine, I don't really know what to think about sv650, I like the look of those fully faired clean examples but I thought that inline 4 is the way to go for first bigger bike cause they are more predictable. Thanks for that, I think what I really need is for someone to throw some shit on gsx650f, otherwise seem it's all I need from the bike.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:11 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by efanton
Im riding a GSX600F at the moment. Great all round bike but it comes with some limitations.

They can be slightly more difficult to control at very low speed (U-Turns etc).
They are a relatively heavy bike, and if getting yer knee down is your thing, then forget it. They tend to be a bit top heavy, like all Bandit variants but with all those fairings dropping them gets expensive.

If you want a bike thats ideal for commuting, will happily do a bit of touring, and are fast enough to lose your license in no time at all with a bit of effort then a GSX-F ticks the boxes.
Hi, I hope to do some touring once I get a grip on it, definitely not for commuting, as we don't really have any traffic in Clare on my work commuting times. I want to start working on my riding techniques as I am at a very beginner level so again I want to do short coast runs, some parking gymkhana and in close future I wanna fit some givis and tour as much as possible.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:13 AM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

why not go for a para twin engine, more character than an IL4.

A versys 650 would be ideal for what you need and not a bad bike at all.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:21 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Duke RR
why not go for a para twin engine, more character than an IL4.

A versys 650 would be ideal for what you need and not a bad bike at all.
I am sure I would love the engine, look not so much i was sitting and revving ninja 650 with same engine and I liked it, but unfortunately the model I like is slightly over my price range and nothing around South West too.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:50 AM
Buswald Inmate

222 posts since Aug 2016

I find inline fours kind of dull. I surprisingly have found that CB500's parallel twin has more character than my GSX-R750 even thought it only makes a fraction of the power.

Street triple would be out of your budget, but I'd say it beat anything else as a sporty naked.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:58 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

I find inline fours kind of dull. I surprisingly have found that CB500's parallel twin has more character than my GSX-R750 even thought it only makes a fraction of the power.

Street triple would be out of your budget, but I'd say it beat anything else as a sporty naked.
Yeah everyone seem to praise them, not really faired but gotta say there is something magnetic about this aggro naked look, but I don't think I need such a weapon yet. More I read the more I think gsx650f is what I am looking for, I know many experienced guys may find linear power and lack of punch dull, but maybe that's what gonna keep me out of trouble when I fuck up somewhere(sure I will). Thanks for input Fred, if you are really Fred :)
Old 4th July 2018, 01:36 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by Lukasz
Hi, I hope to do some touring once I get a grip on it, definitely not for commuting, as we don't really have any traffic in Clare on my work commuting times. I want to start working on my riding techniques as I am at a very beginner level so again I want to do short coast runs, some parking gymkhana and in close future I wanna fit some givis and tour as much as possible.
I got to be honest here

THe GSX600F was my first bike over 500cc.
If I was buying again, I probably would choose a different bike as my first +500cc bike. They are a great bike on the open road, but its very unforgiving at low speed and probably not the bike to be learning new techniques on.

Its definitely not the bike to choose if you have any aspirations of doing motorbike gymkhana. You will be dropping it frequently to begin with.
If you really want to do this you need a more nimble bike and the GSX-F or any other Bandit variant is not the best choice.

As for luggage, you can get the Givi rack for a top box which I have, but NOT for panniers. I searched high and low for options for panniers on my bike and the only real solution is the soft panniers that you throw over the pillion seat. There simply is no manufacturer making pannier racks for the GSX-F any more, your only hope is secondhand or modifying a rack for a similar bike.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:04 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36603 from Drumcondra
56 posts since Sep 2016
Motorbike: ER-6F, KZ1000, GTR1400
Modifications: Furry dice

I learned on a GSX650F and didn't warm to it at all. Bought an ER6F and never looked back. There's not much between them in a physical sense but I found the ER seating position more comfortable although it's more vibey than the GSXF. My wrists were always numb within minutes on the GSX but not the ER. The GSX is a great bike but just not for me. I'm 6'2 and 93kgs.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:20 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by efanton
I got to be honest here

THe GSX600F was my first bike over 500cc.
If I was buying again, I probably would choose a different bike as my first +500cc bike. They are a great bike on the open road, but its very unforgiving at low speed and probably not the bike to be learning new techniques on.

Its definitely not the bike to choose if you have any aspirations of doing motorbike gymkhana. You will be dropping it frequently to begin with.
If you really want to do this you need a more nimble bike and the GSX-F or any other Bandit variant is not the best choice.

As for luggage, you can get the Givi rack for a top box which I have, but NOT for panniers. I searched high and low for options for panniers on my bike and the only real solution is the soft panniers that you throw over the pillion seat. There simply is no manufacturer making pannier racks for the GSX-F any more, your only hope is secondhand or modifying a rack for a similar bike.
Ok regarding gymkhana, probably my semantics failed here a bit, just wanna get decent manoeuvring skills so i wont make a clown on myself on some meet up :), I 've seen ppl killing it on Harleys so I guess I'll be ok on gxs, thx for the info on panniers, gonna have to look into it. I really like a look of em and I can oversee slight bit of obeseness over road appearance.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:27 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Obesity* lol
Old 4th July 2018, 02:32 AM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by scarebus03
I learned on a GSX650F and didn't warm to it at all. Bought an ER6F and never looked back. There's not much between them in a physical sense but I found the ER seating position more comfortable although it's more vibey than the GSXF. My wrists were always numb within minutes on the GSX but not the ER. The GSX is a great bike but just not for me. I'm 6'2 and 93kgs.
Hmm that's interesting cause I found er6n bit small, wondering is there anything between er6n and f regarding dimensions. Seat in gsxf looks wider and comfier too, If I find ninja 650 in my budget I'll give it a thought too, thx.
Old 4th July 2018, 03:00 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,909 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

...SV650S is a great sport bike and would prepare you well for a Gixxer or r6 down the road, torquey v-twin which works really well in the real world and sounds good too.
But in the real world they eat crankshafts, and because of this the engines are so scarce that they cost the price of a bike if you can find a decent one.
Old 4th July 2018, 11:13 AM
Buswald Inmate

222 posts since Aug 2016

That's a shame, not many other Japanese sports v-twins around.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:40 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29619 from Cork City
2,113 posts since Sep 2012
Motorbike: ZZR1100, Bandit 650SA

Originally Posted by Lukasz
More I read the more I think gsx650f is what I am looking for..
You won't go far wrong with a GSX650F. They are a good, comfortable reliable and
very economical bike.

They are a bit heavy, but still lighter some similar sports-tourers.

As an alternative, you could consider the GSF650SA Bandit. If you go for
the 1250cc version, The GSX and GSF are available in a GT version
with matching box and panniers. The 1250 should be reasonably
easy to insure (Group 14).
Old 4th July 2018, 03:24 PM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Confusion
You won't go far wrong with a GSX650F. They are a good, comfortable reliable and
very economical bike.

They are a bit heavy, but still lighter some similar sports-tourers.

As an alternative, you could consider the GSF650SA Bandit. If you go for
the 1250cc version, The GSX and GSF are available in a GT version
with matching box and panniers. The 1250 should be reasonably
easy to insure (Group 14).
Thanks for that, can't wait to give gsx650f a go on Saturday, as to light faired bandits, like fazers wouldn't be my first choice look wise. Gsx1250fa is nice, not sure about having 1.2 liter bike as first bigger machine though
Old 4th July 2018, 03:42 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
285 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: gsxr 1000

How old are you and how many years of no claims bonus do you have? Surprised you wouldn't be able to insure an r6
Old 4th July 2018, 04:13 PM
ISB Contender

269 posts since Jul 2016

35yo zero ncb

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
gsx650f

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed