Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 29th June 2018, 05:05 AM
efanton efanton is offline
WSB Contender
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Lowering a GSX 600f

Toying with the idea of lowering my GSX 600F.
Im 5 foot 11, but only have 30 inch inside leg. Dropping the seat height by an inch would make it so much easier, especailly with a bike thats top heavy anyway.

I believe the easiest way to achieve it, from what I can gather on the interwebs, is replace the dog bones.
Never done it before, but it appears to be a relatively simple job.

So a few questions for the guru's out there.

Will lowering the back end of the bike totally fuck up the handling, (yes I know the handling on a GSX600F already comes fucked up as standard) but even more so?

Is it really a one man job as I am lead to believe?

and finally, what about the front end, is dropping the back end by an inch going to mean having to compensate in some way at the front? If so what do I need to do?

Oh, and previous owner dumped the centre stand to fit a Scorpion exhaust. Will a trolley jack for a car or a few bricks under the frame at the front be ok while I change the dog bones?

Last edited by efanton; 29th June 2018 at 05:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29th June 2018, 07:17 AM
padraic2271 padraic2271 is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 6549
1,601 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Just drop the forks through the jokes on the front to match the rear, making sure you leave enough clearance between the front wheel and radiator when the forks are fully compressed, like when braking hard. Make sure you lower the front in some way as lowering the rear without the front will make the bike very slow to steer, on a bike that is slow steering to begin with I'd imagine.

If you can, suspend the rear of the bike from rafters of your shed, the Jack and bricks can work, but there is more chance of the bike falling over if not secure
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29th June 2018, 07:54 AM
sidegrinder's Avatar
sidegrinder sidegrinder is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,435 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

I lowered a fireblade using the kit from Lust Racing. didnt affect the handling of the bike and i didnt have to flute around with the forks either. it worked a treat too, it means i can get my foot flat down. I put the bike up on a paddock stand, put axle stands under the peg mounts then took away the paddock stand., I then strapped it down and worked away.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29th June 2018, 01:09 PM
ENGLISH's Avatar
ENGLISH ENGLISH is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
762 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by efanton
Toying with the idea of lowering my GSX 600F.
Im 5 foot 11, but only have 30 inch inside leg. Dropping the seat height by an inch would make it so much easier, especailly with a bike thats top heavy anyway.

I believe the easiest way to achieve it, from what I can gather on the interwebs, is replace the dog bones.
Never done it before, but it appears to be a relatively simple job.

So a few questions for the guru's out there.

Will lowering the back end of the bike totally fuck up the handling, (yes I know the handling on a GSX600F already comes fucked up as standard) but even more so?

Is it really a one man job as I am lead to believe?

and finally, what about the front end, is dropping the back end by an inch going to mean having to compensate in some way at the front? If so what do I need to do?

Oh, and previous owner dumped the centre stand to fit a Scorpion exhaust. Will a trolley jack for a car or a few bricks under the frame at the front be ok while I change the dog bones?
Check now that the exhaust is not proud of the frame i.e in the way of the bricks.

Car jacks are unstable . Borrow an ABBA stand if you can.

You will also need to make the side stand shorter after lowering the bike. Bending it is one option but better to get someone to cut an inch out of it and weld it back together.

In case you don't already know, you need Longer dog bones to lower the bike.

Consider having the seat reduced instead.

Last edited by ENGLISH; 29th June 2018 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29th June 2018, 02:14 PM
vinnym's Avatar
vinnym vinnym is offline
I like Bikes I do
 
Biker.ie Member No. 21686 from Sydney
2,896 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: Yamasaki Ninjablade
Modifications: Air con and a sunroof....
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Get a pair of these....


Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29th June 2018, 02:24 PM
Spoonman's Avatar
Spoonman Spoonman is offline
Break it. Fix it. Repeat.
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1842 from Westmeath
3,828 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: '87 NC24; '98 TL1000S
Modifications: TLS: M4 system, PCII, K&N, GI-pro ATRE, c/f hugger
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

At 5'11'' and a 30" inseam you're pretty much the same height as I am - I get what you're saying but I'm with English above - take a look at the saddle padding first. You only need a smidge, it's not worth fecking about with suspension.

That being said, if you're determined to go that way about it then the lads have already given you all the advice you need.

You will need to adjust the front in order to maintain the rake and hence then handling.
It is a simple enough one man job.
Don't use a car jack, get an Abba - well worth having under any circumstance.
and don't forget to have your sidestand modified appropriately.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29th June 2018, 03:10 PM
Valiant Thor Valiant Thor is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 3220
15,954 posts since May 2006
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

a set of bones is all you need , no need to bother lowering the fork if it does not suit , tis an easy job to do but you will need a fat mate to sit on her lol, .

I know a lad did a b12 and I was thinking of doing the same and bar the usual diff he said you got to be wide coming in and out of corners as the diff in the rear but that was raising the height not lowering it
all the same best of luck with it and soon some lad will come along and tell you exactly the low down
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th July 2018, 06:45 PM
efanton efanton is offline
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Not having anyone to help, a shed or yard to work in nor a suitable stand I got Noel Quinn (Tramore Road, Cork) to do the job.

As usual, no fuss, no unexpected surprises regarding price and job done in a matter of hours. Dropped the bike in about 10:30 and Noel was ringing me to pick up the bike before 14:00.
Great work done, easy to deal with, and the modest €50 charged means I will always return to Noel if I need work done. Cant recommend him or Gert enough

Have to say the seat is slightly lower than I expected. I bought the dog bones that were estimated to drop the back end by 50mm, there was another option of 25mm drop. Assuming that a lot of the drop would be lost further forward at the seat I went with the 50mm. Turns out that the bike is slightly lower now than I expected, (not a bad thing), I can plant the soles of both feet on the ground now when the bike is stationary.

Really happy, with it Have only done 100 miles or so since, but it makes a huge difference. Havent noticed any adverse stability or steering problems at all, in fact there appears to be hardly any difference at all which is a welcome surprise.

So would I recommend dropping the back end of a bike to anyone else who is short legged like me? Absolutely, never done this before, but I can guarantee I will be doing it on every bike I get from now on if I cant plant my feet on the ground while in the saddle.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11th July 2018, 06:56 PM
Valiant Thor Valiant Thor is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 3220
15,954 posts since May 2006
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by efanton
Not having anyone to help, a shed or yard to work in nor a suitable stand I got Noel Quinn (Tramore Road, Cork) to do the job.

As usual, no fuss, no unexpected surprises regarding price and job done in a matter of hours. Dropped the bike in about 10:30 and Noel was ringing me to pick up the bike before 14:00.
Great work done, easy to deal with, and the modest 50 charged means I will always return to Noel if I need work done. Cant recommend him or Gert enough

Have to say the seat is slightly lower than I expected. I bought the dog bones that were estimated to drop the back end by 50mm, there was another option of 25mm drop. Assuming that a lot of the drop would be lost further forward at the seat I went with the 50mm. Turns out that the bike is slightly lower now than I expected, (not a bad thing), I can plant the soles of both feet on the ground now when the bike is stationary.

Really happy, with it Have only done 100 miles or so since, but it makes a huge difference. Havent noticed any adverse stability or steering problems at all, in fact there appears to be hardly any difference at all which is a welcome surprise.

So would I recommend dropping the back end of a bike to anyone else who is short legged like me? Absolutely, never done this before, but I can guarantee I will be doing it on every bike I get from now on if I cant plant my feet on the ground while in the saddle.
nice one,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th July 2018, 09:23 PM
grumpy1's Avatar
grumpy1 grumpy1 is online now
complete grumpy git
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7767 from ballinspittle
2,548 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: trx850
Modifications: lowering kit to fit my sh
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by acdc
nice one,
Dropped my TRX 25mm and noticed no difference at all in riding just when stopped I was able to plant both feet. Great
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12th July 2018, 02:52 AM
sidegrinder's Avatar
sidegrinder sidegrinder is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,435 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

does the gsx stand upright on the sidestand or is there still a decent lean on it?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12th July 2018, 02:55 AM
efanton efanton is offline
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by sidegrinder
does the gsx stand upright on the sidestand or is there still a decent lean on it?
was a bit worried about that, but no alteration to the stand was required.

Worst case scenario plan was to put a blowtorch to the stand and put a slight bend in it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12th July 2018, 01:25 PM
Valiant Thor Valiant Thor is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 3220
15,954 posts since May 2006
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by grumpy1
Dropped my TRX 25mm and noticed no difference at all in riding just when stopped I was able to plant both feet. Great
I remember that 2 years back now I say, made some difference alright for you


Originally Posted by efanton
was a bit worried about that, but no alteration to the stand was required.

Worst case scenario plan was to put a blowtorch to the stand and put a slight bend in it
did you drop the front down a bit like the forks through the triple tree top, some lads say if you lower the rear suspension to lower the front too for better handling? not sure on that though bar if you lower the front you defo need to lower the rear but not visa versa
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12th July 2018, 03:44 PM
sidegrinder's Avatar
sidegrinder sidegrinder is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,435 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by efanton
was a bit worried about that, but no alteration to the stand was required.

Worst case scenario plan was to put a blowtorch to the stand and put a slight bend in it
i found no real need to alter the stand on my blade, sometimes I look twice if its standing on rough tarmac or on a hill etc,
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12th July 2018, 04:01 PM
efanton efanton is offline
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Re: Lowering a GSX 600f

Originally Posted by acdc
I remember that 2 years back now I say, made some difference alright for you




did you drop the front down a bit like the forks through the triple tree top, some lads say if you lower the rear suspension to lower the front too for better handling? not sure on that though bar if you lower the front you defo need to lower the rear but not visa versa

didnt drop the front for two reasons. First wanted to see what the handling was like with just the back dropped, then I would know if the front needed dropping or altering. Second I have two more jobs on the list before I go back to Uni, chain and sprockets, and fork seals. Made sense to leave the front alone until I did the fork seals
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
600f, gsx, lowering


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering Kawasaki ER5 roscommonroads First time bikers 8 7th May 2018 12:48 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed