Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Old 7th July 2018, 11:17 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35626 from Dublin
208 posts since Dec 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: BMW F800GS
Default Touring-harddrives

Planning a reasonable size trip and was thinking how do lads manage their video content when doing long distance touring (1-4 weeks).

Hard drive and laptop ??

Id be fairly clued in with YouTube etc and and have many videos already live but they are generally a few minutes long. Id be thinking of capturing hours of footage to bring home and then create the video at a later stage
Old 7th July 2018, 11:45 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
167 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof
Default Re: Touring-harddrives

Have a few SD cards and at the end of every day or two cut your rushes, 15 mins max of all the good content from that day but just loosely cut with handles either side. Then bin the rest of the footage. Your trip will end up being 50GB of footage and much more managable to edit than 500GB where you would have to watch through tens of hours of footage
Old 7th July 2018, 11:49 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,578 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

USB OTG - All half-decent phones have it now.
Old 7th July 2018, 07:45 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

208 posts since Dec 2015

Cheers
Old 7th July 2018, 08:32 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
472 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by frozen
Have a few SD cards and at the end of every day or two cut your rushes, 15 mins max of all the good content from that day but just loosely cut with handles either side. Then bin the rest of the footage. Your trip will end up being 50GB of footage and much more managable to edit than 500GB where you would have to watch through tens of hours of footage
sort of agree.

Definitely multpile SD card's (one for each day or couple of days).
Dump a copy each night to a USB drive or laptop. Gixxer's suggestion of using USB OTG makes a whole lot of sense. Who wants to risk carrying a Laptop on a long trip and with their chargers, accessories and case/bag to protect them, thats space that could be used otherwise.

The important point here is you want a duplicate copy of everything and I totally disagree with deleting anything until you get home and have the time to do things properly and without rush. If you watch RichyVida on youtube you will know that he used to dump everything to a laptop each night and then wipe his SD card. He lost an entire days footage from his laptop, had wiped the SD card before he realised his HDD had gone for a walk, spent a small fortune trying to get the data recovered and still he did not get it all back. All on a trip of a lifetime that he probably will never be able to do again.

Deleting any coverage is something that should be done once your trip is over. Its so easy while working in less than ideal circumstances to delete something that you did not mean to do. You meant to delete the first 10 minutes and then find out you deleted everything after the first 10 minutes. Absolute nightmare. SD cards a pretty cheap now, even for class 10.

Last edited by efanton; 7th July 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 7th July 2018, 09:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
384 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Ok.

If you value your data you will have a backup or you don't have data.
If you value your backup you will verify it, or you don't have one.

That's time.

I can't see any other way other than two external drives, stored separately, and a laptop or a usb otg hub so that you can use your mobo to move footage around.

That being said... after recording for a bit you will notice that pressing the rec button is not free (not just in battery time but also in your editing time) and will become more discening. Which IME brings its own nuances... are you riding for the ride or are you riding for the rec?
Old 7th July 2018, 10:43 PM
Clubman

167 posts since Sep 2015

Originally Posted by efanton
sort of agree.

Definitely multpile SD card's (one for each day or couple of days).
Dump a copy each night to a USB drive or laptop. Gixxer's suggestion of using USB OTG makes a whole lot of sense. Who wants to risk carrying a Laptop on a long trip and with their chargers, accessories and case/bag to protect them, thats space that could be used otherwise.

The important point here is you want a duplicate copy of everything and I totally disagree with deleting anything until you get home and have the time to do things properly and without rush. If you watch RichyVida on youtube you will know that he used to dump everything to a laptop each night and then wipe his SD card. He lost an entire days footage from his laptop, had wiped the SD card before he realised his HDD had gone for a walk, spent a small fortune trying to get the data recovered and still he did not get it all back. All on a trip of a lifetime that he probably will never be able to do again.

Deleting any coverage is something that should be done once your trip is over. Its so easy while working in less than ideal circumstances to delete something that you did not mean to do. You meant to delete the first 10 minutes and then find out you deleted everything after the first 10 minutes. Absolute nightmare. SD cards a pretty cheap now, even for class 10.
I know what you're saying, grand like. That's what a lot of people seem to do, keep 28 days worth of 5 hours footage (maybe way more more), @ 40mbps that's 5MB/s * 60 * 60 * 5 = 90GB * 28 = 2.5TB

if you are talking about having more than one copy then you are bringing around at least 5TB of storage, and if you want 5TB then it'll be mechanical drives which don't like vibrations and motorbikes.

Compare that to cutting rushes, if you have 15 mins of rushes a day you could have 2 copies of those and even upload rushes to dropbox every now and again when you get good internet. You will notice on day 2 that your angle is shit or you have way too many or not enough of X or Y type of coverage or that the thing you're doing where you put the camera down and ride past looks shit etc. Or your microphone placement isn't good if you have one in the helmet. ETC. ETC.

Or else you get home with 140 hours of clip0001 clip0002 clip0003 all 15 minutes long and you can't remember when anything happened and you forget all the little moments or wtf you were even doing in half the clips. and it takes you 3 months to dig through all of it properly instead of slapping down all your rushes and cutting them down over 1 or two days. And you'll probably have better content because you start shooting for the edit since you are looking at what you shot every day..

I don't really know what you mean by it being so easy working in less than ideal situations to delete something you need. Warzone reporters are able to feed rushes to evn, I think someone on a motorbike trip can handle it from a tent or B&B.

reading back this sounds like I give a shit, I don't, anyone can do it whatever way they like, but the only way I'd recommend someone film a 4 week long motorbike trip would be to cut it as they go along.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:02 PM
Clubman

167 posts since Sep 2015

I know what you're saying, grand like. That's what a lot of people seem to do, keep 28 days worth of 5 hours footage (maybe way more more), @ 40mbps that's 5MB/s * 60 * 60 * 5 = 90GB * 28 = 2.5TB
my maths is fucked up there but you get the gist not going back changing it

pretend I said 10 hours footage a day and 2 cameras or something
Old 7th July 2018, 11:29 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
472 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

I get your point, of having so much footage that it becomes a clusterfuck to wade through and sort out when you got home. Its a trade off which ever way you look at it.

I don't really know what you mean by it being so easy working in less than ideal situations to delete something you need. Warzone reporters are able to feed rushes to evn, I think someone on a motorbike trip can handle it from a tent or B&B.
You havent brought a laptop with you, so you end up having to use the poxy little menus on your camera to do stuff. easy to make a mistake. Or you did bring a laptop but you are camping and the fecking battery keeps dying when your doing stuff. Your tent doesn't have a mains socket so now you are stuffed. Even if you get lucky and theres loads of mains sockets at the campsite or B+B the WIFI is so shit that you cant upload anything that more than a few MB's in size. Thats what I meant by less than ideal. If my laptop battery was low or the WIFI was so bad that I might not be able to upload then better not to mess around at all.

Last edited by efanton; 7th July 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:42 PM
Clubman

167 posts since Sep 2015

Yeah I see what you mean. Bit of a meet in the middle job I'd say
Old 8th July 2018, 10:55 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
354 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

I'm heading off to Europe in a wee while and came up against the same problem. I'll have a GoPro camera, a dji Mavic drone and a digital camera with me. I don't plan to run the GoPro the whole time - I'll just record a short clip when something of interest is worth recording, and maybe do some ride-bys of the whole group etc. The drone will only be used on a few occasions but still the cards will fill up. I'll shoot in just 1080, no need for 4K resolution whe it' most likely going to end up on YouTube.

I've opted to bring along a Windows 10 tablet with me. Smaller and lighter than a full on laptop and can be charged with a normal micro usb charger. I'll purchase a few 128Gb (or even 256Gb) pendrives - they are pretty cheap these days, and copy all my footage from the cards each evening. To be dead safe I might double up on the copies (that just depends on available storage). Tablet is also handy for viewing the footage and for route research during the trip. Happy days.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:14 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,762 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Enjoy the holiday, don’t mind the 2.5tb of footage, which will be mostly Shyte, like how exciting can it get on a BMW ?
Old 8th July 2018, 11:16 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,578 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by Admin
Enjoy the holiday, dont mind the 2.5tb of footage, which will be mostly Shyte, like how exciting can it get on a BMW ?
Good point
Old 8th July 2018, 04:38 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

208 posts since Dec 2015

Ah come on ladies, you telling me you don’t want watch a few videos on utube. Nothing like looking back in a few years and laughing especially if there’s a few fuck ups
Old 9th July 2018, 09:31 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
354 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

The only thing that puts me off this approach is that the last thing I want to be doing on my trip is editing of any sort. Not while I could be out admiring the pussie (aka senoritas, frauleins, mademoiselles) over a few beers. Editing is poxy even at home, so when time is precious, it's the last thing I'll be at. I do get where yer coming from though - makes sense to strip all the shite out asap. My approach is to just be choosy as to what I record in the first place. There's a risk of missing the unexpected if the camera's not running 24/7, but running my trip around the task of recording it isn't for me.
Old 9th July 2018, 04:09 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4559
488 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: GPZ500, VF500, SV650
Modifications: Feet forward on VF & GPZ

I use a dash cam and a couple of SD cards. About 3 hours recording per card. Automatically overwrite set up so unless something interesting happens, I don't save it. When something does, I swap cards and save that section to a separate device that evening. I used a small netbook with 320 GB hard drive, but I can see that this won't suit many people. Charging, carrying the extra stuff, newer netbooks have very small hard drives so you'd need an external large capacity drive with one of those.
Quality from my dash cam is poorer than a GoPro or equivalent, but good enough for a record of what, when and where stuff happens. Dash cam runs when the ignition is on so I don't forget to turn it on or off and don't have to charge batteries for it. Not foolproof and reliability perhaps not as good as it could be but it works most of the time and being a cheap device is not a temptation to thieves when I leave it permanently on view fixed to the bike.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:47 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,267 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

I use a Gnarbox and a 1tb external HDD plugged into it.

Takes up fuck all room and is more than enough space to dump footage to.

If you get decent internet you can also move to files Dropbox, but I've always found wifi speeds in hotels in Europe to be absolutely shocking.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Tags
touringharddrives