Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 17th October 2018, 03:39 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,476 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS
Default Re: 27 to 30k strl for the 2018 goldwing.

Originally Posted by renniks View Post
No need for an automatic for cruising - once you get up to speed, you wouldn't be changing gear anyway. More useful for stop-start commuting in heavy traffic I'd say
That's true, way more practical for commuting in heavy traffic. But even when cruising 'muricans do prefer their automatics.

If you're crusing in europe, you can't go too far without going through a small town and having to use all them gears
Old 17th October 2018, 07:19 PM
Back in Cumblowus O-H-I-O

Biker.ie Member No. 19826 from Columbus OH USAUSAUSA
2,190 posts since Dec 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZRX1200,YPVS,FJ1300
Modifications: SupaDuke,Kaw 636

Originally Posted by RTV View Post
That's true, way more practical for commuting in heavy traffic. But even when cruising 'muricans do prefer their automatics.

If you're crusing in europe, you can't go too far without going through a small town and having to use all them gears
Automatics on a bike are an answer to a question not asked even here in the states. Yes auto is pretty much standard in cages, who cares

I have a FJR1300A, I bought quickly for a transcontinental trip and while awesome in every way for that , it has that semi auto transmission which sucks in heavy stop and go traffic, guess that is why I got it cheap. When starting from cold in the morning, it's like riding a big moped with a slipping clutch. I hate it so much I am selling the bike at a loss so I can get one with a clutch. Never again.. Thank goodness I have other bikes. Pity, really wanted to like it, but couldn't

Last edited by GreenRex; 17th October 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 17th October 2018, 07:48 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,295 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Originally Posted by GreenRex View Post
Automatics on a bike are an answer to a question not asked even here in the states. Yes auto is pretty much standard in cages, who cares

I have a FJR1300A, I bought quickly for a transcontinental trip and while awesome in every way for that , it has that semi auto transmission which sucks in heavy stop and go traffic, guess that is why I got it cheap. When starting from cold in the morning, it's like riding a big moped with a slipping clutch. I hate it so much I am selling the bike at a loss so I can get one with a clutch. Never again.. Thank goodness I have other bikes. Pity, really wanted to like it, but couldn't
The fjr system is crude compared to a dct, still requires input from the selector, and it's really an afterthought with loads of over complicated garbage strapped onto an otherwise standard gearbox and clutch setup. Sound good on upshifts with a set of pipes on them though. And I found it handy if you wanted to change gear mid corner, particularly in the wet

If you're bothered to try there's an awkward way of bleeding the system, and then you run it through a gear adaption. Will definitely improve or fix the slip you're getting but the clutch pack might be worn too far already.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
2018, 30k, goldwing, strl