Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 4th January 2018, 11:44 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,576 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Exclamation Helmet safety Ratings

Following on from another thread here, I think it's interesting that the Arai RX7 Corsair only got a 3 star rating, with really bad side protection, and that the new (and highly regarded) Shoei GT Air is almost just as bad, probably due to Bluetooth connectivity or something.

BMW System 6 Evo - 3 stars, and some Schuberth's down to 2 stars, Shark and some of the cheaper brands seem to be fairing pretty well.

Looks like a lot of people who listened to that old brainwashing mantra from the 1980's ( 10euro head buys a 10euro lid ) might still be alive if they'd actually researched this instead of listening to all the shyte coming from racing paddocks and sponsors with vested interests.

I realise that aerodynamics and deafening wind noise are major considerations, especially at 190mph speeds / in races and that comfort / minimised double vision is everything, but there should really be more emphasis on these sharp ratings (and less spoofing / pontification / perceived 'status' of the much more expensive brands ) when it comes to biker safety.

And yes, side protection is hugely important when you're being hopped off the road, trees, walls and other vehicles at high speed like a rag doll, and yes - all the racers 'can' be wrong (with choosing just arai/shoei) - they're not exactly Harvey Einstein's with PHD's riding around those race tracks at high speeds, and there's plenty of them 6ft under as a result.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...del=All&type=1
Old 4th January 2018, 12:12 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37486 from Wexford
55 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Kawasaki Z 750
Default Re: Helmet safety Ratings

While I did my lgbt last year my instructor told me about the website as I asked him for advice in regards of safety gear.

He also mentioned that he had 2 lads doing the lgbt few months back and both turned up with new helmets.
One lad had a Replica sort of thing helmet and the other lad turned up with a 100€ helmet as that was all he could afford.

Both went onto the Sharp website and guess which helmet had more stars??

Its one thing to check safety standards before a helmet purchase but at the end fitting, design and of course $$$ will decide the final call on it.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,362 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

yeah but Arai have really nice paintjobs plus they're expensive, street cred gives way more safety than ratings
Old 4th January 2018, 12:21 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 7708 from Dublin
239 posts since Dec 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 2012 Suzuki DL650
Modifications: Stabilisers

Just goes to show you that paper won't refuse ink and the marketing guys have no shortage of ink.

Great time to see this as I was thinking about a new flip up lid. Have a SHoei XR-1000 at the moment and its in great nick but a pain with glasses and sunglasses so a flip with sun visor would be my choice.

The Caberg ticks those boxes and are well priced - looks like thats the brand to look at if I can figure out how the sizing compares.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:08 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,662 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6

The sharp test has been criticized in the past and isn't perfect but as a benchmark it's a great resource.

I remember Arai coming out with the clip on external flip up sun visor that turned into a peak/sail when up claiming that internal visors reduced safety. Funny now when the likes of HJC can do internal sun visors with a 5 star rating for €150.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:25 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 18960 from Dublin
621 posts since Oct 2009
Motorbike: Ducati Monster 750
Modifications: cans, powdercoating, lots

Originally Posted by DAK
Just goes to show you that paper won't refuse ink and the marketing guys have no shortage of ink.

Great time to see this as I was thinking about a new flip up lid. Have a SHoei XR-1000 at the moment and its in great nick but a pain with glasses and sunglasses so a flip with sun visor would be my choice.

The Caberg ticks those boxes and are well priced - looks like thats the brand to look at if I can figure out how the sizing compares.
I have a caberg duke - great lid, flip up, built in visor and comes with a pin lock. I also wear glasses and get where you're coming from..it's my second caberg and can't say how good they are in a smack, but for town driving and speeds up to 150 km per h I've never had a problem. Cost me 300 euro and it's the tri colour one. Prob cheaper up north. I'd recommend it!
Old 4th January 2018, 01:30 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Biker.ie Member No. 4265 from Moving to Taormina again
17,897 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Xmax Tmax Bigmac!
Modifications: auto - fast as fcuk !

Originally Posted by Admin
Following on from another thread here, I think it's interesting that the Arai RX7 Corsair only got a 3 star rating, with really bad side protection, and that the new (and highly regarded) Shoei GT Air is almost just as bad, probably due to Bluetooth connectivity or something.

BMW System 6 Evo - 3 stars, and some Schuberth's down to 2 stars, Shark and some of the cheaper brands seem to be fairing pretty well.

Looks like a lot ofpeople who listened to that old brainwashing mantra from the 1980's ( 10euro head buys a 10euro lid ) might still be alive if they'd actually researched this instead of listening to all the shyte coming from racing paddocks and sponsors with vested interests.

I realise that aerodynamics and deafening wind noise are major considerations, especially at 190mph speeds / in races and that comfort / minimised double vision is everything, but there should really be more emphasis on these sharp ratings (and less spoofing / pontification / perceived 'status' of the much more expensive brands ) when it comes to biker safety.

And yes, side protection is hugely important when you're being hopped off the road, trees, walls and other vehicles at high speed like a rag doll, and yes - all the racers 'can' be wrong (with choosing just arai/shoei) - they're not exactly Harvey Einstein's with PHD's riding around those race tracks at high speeds, and there's plenty of them 6ft under as a result.

we had a big thread about this here a few yrs ago if im not mistaken, cant find it though. Arai are mad money, design hasnt really moved on etc, but marketing comes into play here. Not a bad lid, but they are not what id be looking for any more. But those rating for the bwm and schubert are low, no matter what way you shape it up as these helmets are crazy money too.

side pod thing is a joke, the fittings are exposed and they are a bastid to get off sometimes when the grease has worn out, plus side pods are horrendous money, can be huge percentage of actual helmet cost - get the boat arai.

i switched to shark a couple of yrs ago, speed r & race r pro. I like their comfort and finish is good along with safety ratings. Im pretty hard on gear and the speed r is everyday use, few scrapes etc, but its still hanging in there.

Originally Posted by DAK

Shark specifically make room for ppl wearing glasses, and its pretty trick design internally, just clever. Supposed to work ok too. Speed R has an inner visor too.
Old 4th January 2018, 02:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 7708 from Dublin
239 posts since Dec 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 2012 Suzuki DL650
Modifications: Stabilisers

The Shoei is fine with glasses, its just take them off put on lid, put on glasses through visor, smudge glasses, take off, clean and try again.

I just think the flip would be handier and manes I'm not bring regular glasses and sunglasses when just messing around or heading into town.

I found a Caberg Duke online in UK for £124 with free UK delivery so would have it in with parcel motel for around €150. jusst two things with it - its white but that grand I suppose and I see they aren't a D ring strap, some sort of quick release? What are they like?

Last edited by DAK; 4th January 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 02:19 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 16858 from dublin
286 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: R1 , GSX 1100, FZ1
Modifications: 80's kit

The safest helmet you can buy is the one that fits best, there is no connection between helmet price and safety because there’s been no safety innovation in helmets in decades.
Old 4th January 2018, 02:25 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,068 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Some of the Arai ratings are really bad. It's another reason I wouldn't own another one.
It's pretty shit when Halfords own brand helmets score higher than most Arai
I have the Shoei X-spirit 2, which gets a nice 5 star rating
Old 4th January 2018, 02:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,203 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by Admin

Looks like a lot ofpeople who listened to that old brainwashing mantra from the 1980's ( 10euro head buys a 10euro lid ) might still be alive if they'd actually researched this instead of listening to all the shyte coming from racing paddocks and sponsors with vested interests.

Well... you're putting all eggs in the same basket, they're high and low rated helmets among all brands according to that site. Schubert for example has everything from 2 stars to 4 starts in their line up and the same will apply to cheaper brands where they do have a few good ones and a few terrible ones.

I think ratings go down when then have things like sun visors or the ratchet style tie down, and other accessories as you mentioned.

The important thing here is to educate people and let them decide what they prefer and have options.

No one in his right mind will think that a flip up helmet is as safe as a full face and yet, lots of people will buy one. I actually had one and I consciously made the call as I liked the idea of the flip up, I ended up not using it at all and moved to a full face.

Marketing is a powerful thing for sure and most probably a lot of people buy just because of the brand, but I'll say that most bikers will buy comfort over any other thing. I chose Shoei because it was the best fit for my small nugget, they do different shell sizes where other helmets will just put more lining and making you carry around what would feel like 30kg worth of head proctection.

In other words, not everything is as black and white. Not all cheap helmets are brilliant and not all expensive helmets are shite and the best way to approach this is to make a intelligent decision and know where to make the compromises according to budget and personal preferences.

Cheers,
Rami
Old 4th January 2018, 02:52 PM
Road Racing Rules

Biker.ie Member No. 3488 from Inverness/Dub
2,900 posts since Aug 2006
Motorbike: <-- its over there
Modifications: carbon fiber washer

Sharp ratings have been around 10 years or more now, Im not sure if its given helmet manufacturers the kick they needed. True some lids have improved but havnt changed too much. I reckon there will always be cheap/expensive and good/bad with no price to put on each but can the sharp test be trusted.
Shark have brought some new things the game and Ive tested an rsr pro with a faceplant and it worked fine, good thick visor too.
Was looking at a new rx-7, at least that has the full stars, when will arai ever change basic design and get a more streamlined lid?
Old 4th January 2018, 02:57 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,662 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6

Originally Posted by RTV
Well... you're putting all eggs in the same basket, they're high and low rated helmets among all brands according to that site. Schubert for example has everything from 2 stars to 4 starts in their line up and the same will apply to cheaper brands where they do have a few good ones and a few terrible ones.

I think ratings go down when then have things like sun visors or the ratchet style tie down
There is no €150 5 star Arai so no it's not just comparing the worst of one with the best of the other.

The hjc is-17 has a sun visor, costs €150 new on fcmoto and has a 5 star rating so no accessories don't necessarily reduce the rating despite what marketing departments claim
Old 4th January 2018, 04:36 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 18960 from Dublin
621 posts since Oct 2009
Motorbike: Ducati Monster 750
Modifications: cans, powdercoating, lots

Originally Posted by DAK
The Shoei is fine with glasses, its just take them off put on lid, put on glasses through visor, smudge glasses, take off, clean and try again.

I just think the flip would be handier and manes I'm not bring regular glasses and sunglasses when just messing around or heading into town.

I found a Caberg Duke online in UK for £124 with free UK delivery so would have it in with parcel motel for around €150. jusst two things with it - its white but that grand I suppose and I see they aren't a D ring strap, some sort of quick release? What are they like?
The chin strap works like a seat belt of a cage- clip in it and press a button to release. V straightforward.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:54 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,068 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by jmorris
The chin strap works like a seat belt of a cage- clip in it and press a button to release. V straightforward.
There's a reason you're not allowed that type of fastener on the track.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:43 PM
Chief Physician
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,576 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by knightrider
The safest helmet you can buy is the one that fits best, there is no connection between helmet price and safety because there’s been no safety innovation in helmets in decades.
The argument, and with some validity, by a former and well-regarded member of biker.ie who is no longer with us ( who had a shelf full of Arai's ) was to go for a customised fit with different padding if, for instance a common complaint associated with Arai's, it were too tight around the forehead yet fine everywhere else.

Realistically - that probably entailed removing half the actual width of padding in a very important area of the helmet, so trying on loads of different 'standard' sized helmets at say a motorcycle show, and disregarding logos/brands/gimmicky tag-lines/influential racer marketing just to see what's a good fit is probably a better option, - and then (assuming it had a good Sharp rating) buying that instead.

Arai's marketing can be (probably deliberately) deceiving, because it's only their most expensive RX-7 'V' helmet which has a 5-star safety rating, yet most people would assume the Arai RX-7 GP / Arai RX-7 Corsair to be the same, after all they're called an Arai RX-7 ?, yet these only have a 4 and 3 star rating respectively.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:06 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
132 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof

my understanding was the padding is for comfort and noise and its the actual shell size and foam that decides your fate in an accident with a big impact
Old 4th January 2018, 08:58 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 16822
282 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 600 k10

I listened to a fantastic interview with Gary Johnson after his TT crash. He had just moved from Arai to Bell. Said it was a big move that he was an Arai man since he was 6 on motocross Bikes. Went off at 100mph broke lots of stuff totalled the bike and ended up way off the road.

He said in the past he has much smaller crashes and didn’t know where he was after the accidents. This Time with the bell he was perfect but his forehead was all bruised!!! Spoke about flying to America for a custom fit (said he even paid for half his fight) got the helmet sent to him and said he didn’t like it. Felt like wearing a brick!!

Spoke to bell and they reassured him that it had 30% more eps and minimal padding. He won the Supersport tt wearing it and said it was brilliant no buffeting at high speed and then obviously it got a real test in the Stock 1000 race!!
Old 4th January 2018, 09:53 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,093 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by DAK

Consider a flip up lid the same as an open face from a safety point of view and make your decision then. I've glasses too and use a shark, never had a problem fitting any pair of spectacles into any helmet, including MX helmets with googles, since I was 12.....
Old 4th January 2018, 11:51 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 13819 from kerry
336 posts since Jan 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono

I recently bought a Shark carbon spartan, had a gp tech before that, nice helmet, good safety score an all but the visor mechanism was not great. Bought the spartan well before they were sharp tested and assumed they would score pretty good given the score that most shark helmets were getting, just spotted a few weeks ago they tested it and it only scored 3, a little bit disappointed .

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
helmet, lids, rating, ratings, safety, sharp

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed