Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th December 2018, 02:19 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37865
6 posts since Dec 2017
Motorbike: Honda CBR 600
Post Buying a Motorcycle without V5 Log Book

Iíve just stumbled into a situation and Iím looking for someone who can help me with a advice.
Iím looking to purchase a motorcycle from an auction in Bristol UK, now the motorcycleis listed without V5 logbook(was probably lost or stolen) Iíve contacted DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing ) and they told me that I have to apply for an export certificate in order for me to register the bike in Ireland,(which will take 4 weeks to receive it), but what I donít know is, if the bike has no V5 can I bring it in Ireland? and then wait for the export certificate?Will I need the V5 log book when I bring the bike on the ferry? The only paper work I will get with the bike is probably a receipt from auctioneer. Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 02:31 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,325 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights
Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle without V5 Log Book

You don't need a V5 to register a bike here. You just need the Cert of Permanent export issued from the DVLA.
Be sure you do your checks beforehand to make sure it isn't listed still as stolen, or the old owner may decide to claim it (rightfully) back.
Use cazana or the vehicle smart app.
DVLA do everything in 5 week blocks. I think it must take the local postie 5 weeks to climb up the hill to their HQ or something.
Old 8th December 2018, 02:34 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
45 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Triumph Tiger 800
Modifications: Leovince,arrow map

You can import any cage/bike into Ireland without V5, where you will be stuck is when you go to register it. You have 30 days to complete the registration process, if not you face penalties, you will most likely still be ok for another few days before you will actually get fines. Your best bet would be to see if the auction site can hold the bike, most do not so your next option would be to import and face the fines, they are not too bad as far as I know. Or forge a transport receipt saying it was only brought in a week ago etc when you go for VRT.
Don't get too hung up on British bikes being cheaper, if you keep an eye out you will probably see an Irish bike for near the same money unless it's a new model/rare.
Old 8th December 2018, 04:51 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,149 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: R1, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

Originally Posted by seano
You can import any cage/bike into Ireland without V5, where you will be stuck is when you go to register it. You have 30 days to complete the registration process, if not you face penalties
feck all penalties for bikes usually, took me 2 months to register my last bike, i asked in the centre and they said they dont bother with fines for bikes unless very expensive or in country years.
Old 8th December 2018, 06:21 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 9674 from westmeath
1,108 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: big bang r1 racebike
Modifications: 1 pint of petrol

Receipt should be fine at the boat,but they probably wont ask. To save some time you could fax the v756 form to the dvla in Swansea.
Old 8th December 2018, 09:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,627 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..

Check up on that certificate of export - I think I ran into bother trying to register a cage I bought in the North last year. From memory they wouldn't issue a Certificate of Export to a non UK address.

Seriously - I'd be slow to hand over any monies until you know exactly how the export/import & re-register process is going to work, and what needs down to get the right paperwork.
Old 8th December 2018, 09:06 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,325 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights

They won't issue a V5 to a non UK address but they will issue a cert of permanent export.
Old 8th December 2018, 10:46 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 9674 from westmeath
1,108 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: big bang r1 racebike
Modifications: 1 pint of petrol

Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
Check up on that certificate of export - I think I ran into bother trying to register a cage I bought in the North last year. From memory they wouldn't issue a Certificate of Export to a non UK address.

Seriously - I'd be slow to hand over any monies until you know exactly how the export/import & re-register process is going to work, and what needs down to get the right paperwork.
Yes they will send a cert of permanent export here,I have done it several times.
Old 9th December 2018, 12:23 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

6 posts since Dec 2017

Originally Posted by Dirtyshirt View Post
You don't need a V5 to register a bike here. You just need the Cert of Permanent export issued from the DVLA.
Be sure you do your checks beforehand to make sure it isn't listed still as stolen, or the old owner may decide to claim it (rightfully) back.
Use cazana or the vehicle smart app.
DVLA do everything in 5 week blocks. I think it must take the local postie 5 weeks to climb up the hill to their HQ or something.
Perfect, will do, they gave me the reg number and vin number for the bike and i'll have that verified before purchase, thanks again
Old 9th December 2018, 12:29 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

6 posts since Dec 2017

Originally Posted by seano View Post
You can import any cage/bike into Ireland without V5, where you will be stuck is when you go to register it. You have 30 days to complete the registration process, if not you face penalties, you will most likely still be ok for another few days before you will actually get fines. Your best bet would be to see if the auction site can hold the bike, most do not so your next option would be to import and face the fines, they are not too bad as far as I know. Or forge a transport receipt saying it was only brought in a week ago etc when you go for VRT.
Don't get too hung up on British bikes being cheaper, if you keep an eye out you will probably see an Irish bike for near the same money unless it's a new model/rare.

Thanks for advice, Iíll keep that in mind, the bike is at an auction so if ill get the right price will be a good deal. In regards with the transport , I have a week to take the bike out from the auctioneer park before i get charged extra, so after my calculations I shout have the have the certificate export within four weeks.(thatís what they told me at DVLA) fingers crossed. Thanks again
Old 9th December 2018, 12:31 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

6 posts since Dec 2017

Originally Posted by bikes View Post
Receipt should be fine at the boat,but they probably wont ask. To save some time you could fax the v756 form to the dvla in Swansea.
Thanks man, appreciate the tip. I'll try see if would go faster
Old 9th December 2018, 12:34 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

6 posts since Dec 2017

Originally Posted by -alan- View Post

Iíve spoke with DVLA over the phone already, they said that they will send the certificate with no problem, is just a case of waiting , hope it wont be more than 4 weeks. Thanks

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
book, buying, log, motorcycle