Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 7th August 2018, 04:09 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,909 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)
Default shim od sizes

Can anyone give me a bit of info here.
I want to buy some shims and on wemoto there are 8 uk pounds each which is very expensive for a tiny bit of metal so

I am looking at shim packs with 3 of each size and 140 total shims in the box.
It lists all the bike it will do and gsxr's and busas etc but that box is 80usd and 15 shipping and 15 approx import tax.
They are American made by Hot Cams.
i dont trust the chinese ones on ebay even there are expensive at 3.90 each but there is another American made box of shims but half the amount of the Hot Cams ones and has
44 shims of all sizes and costs 35USD with free shipping US only so I can use the addresspal an post usa address as straight delivery is 30usd.

My question is this pack does not have the list of motorcycles they are compatible with
the description is this 9.48mm O.D. Adjustable Valve Shim Kit

so If I go for the Hot Cams big kit , It would be 2 weeks before I could have the money scraped up to buy them and mayby sell a few for a fair price to offset the cost or buy the other small box next week from America too. which I would prefer and they have other sizes od too.

I would prefer to get the smaller box with all the sizes but what is the OD for my bike a busa and other bikes like the gsxr's etc would prob be the same size.

I tried wemoto there 8 each before delivery and the info button does not give any spec size and I want to have a box of them that I can keep and will last for many years.

thanks

edit: the smaller box is made by weisco, the lads that do the bigger cylinders

Last edited by acdc; 7th August 2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 7th August 2018, 04:19 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,854 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: shim od sizes

Just buy the ones you need. You'll only end up with a partial box of shims you'll never use if you buy them. It's not like it's something you'll be doing regularly.
Old 7th August 2018, 04:30 PM
ACDC
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Just buy the ones you need. You'll only end up with a partial box of shims you'll never use if you buy them. It's not like it's something you'll be doing regularly.
thanks Gixxer but it will over time work out better I think to have a box of them.
Like I need 3 defo , I checked , but 4 more than likely as my feeler guage is donkeys old and I will be getting a new good one not a chinese piece of shit, and 4 shims from wemoto is 32 pounds and 9pounds shipping is 41 which is 45euro so I would be saving buying the box , it makes since , even if they sat there after I used 3-4 for years
any if some lad is stuck there be a shim there for him
Old 7th August 2018, 04:45 PM
ACDC

I made an offer on the big box for 60USD (delivery is 15) he came back with an offer of 72USD so I might take that, take it out of the rent money and square it up before the end of the month
Old 7th August 2018, 04:49 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5655 from Dublin
1,091 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: BMW

I thought the same about buying the box. I now have a box of shims for about six years that don't fit any bike I now own. They were for my ZZR1100, which I reckon would fit your requirements.
Old 7th August 2018, 04:57 PM
ACDC

Originally Posted by dukeNblade
I thought the same about buying the box. I now have a box of shims for about six years that don't fit any bike I now own. They were for my ZZR1100, which I reckon would fit your requirements.
Ill check there mate on the big box there is a vehicle pull down youke.

have a look at there just a few shims lol for 900euro
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Ge...from=R40&rt=nc

the way I figure it , most lads and myself one time included are shit scared of doing that job , on the bandits I was shocked when our own chopper said to me on here they needed doing every 3500 miles , but least the bandit ones like the old school gsxr 1100 oil burners had the lugnut type and they were pis easy to ajust and get at because of the location of the air box etc, 60mins at most to do.

on the other bikes where you have to take off the tank, the airbox , dissconect the fast idel and trottle and pull out the bank and heat shield and coil sticks and plugs etc etc lol before you even get near the head and hope that you dont round the head on the allen key head bolts and then check them , tdc etc etc pull out cams if they need shims is,
a job that most lads will not do and will not be wanting to hand over a small fortune to a mechanic and in the end your bike will suffer.
I cant afford to pay a mech so like all the other jobs I can put it off like the head bearings and wait till the steel balls are popping out of the head riding down the road , this time Id rather the prevention over the cure as a burned or dropped valve is end game for your engine.

I have no idea when the valves were last checked before me , afaik it could have been 10 years or never, my gsxr1100 fell victim to this I suspect and had to ket her go for 700euro.
its not a hard job, its just a well time consuming job and you need a day, plenty of patients and a wall chart to mark the measurements etc and take plenty of pics of the way things are as you go and can look back on when reassembling.

and the best is the knowledge in your own head that that job is (knock wood) done and you can drive with confidence.

well thats how I see it anyway

Last edited by acdc; 7th August 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 7th August 2018, 05:11 PM
ACDC

here sorry for my ramble but this is the link , they fit hundreds of models

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/362016765920...torefresh=true
Old 7th August 2018, 06:08 PM
Supporter

they are what I have, a box of hot cams shims.
Old 7th August 2018, 06:33 PM
Buswald's Finest

Biker.ie Member No. 21188
4,691 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: same as my friend iano

out of interest, are the edges slightly chamfered or a sharp 90?
Old 7th August 2018, 07:37 PM
Supporter

i'll have a look at the weekend when I at my Wexford gaff.
Old 7th August 2018, 07:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9750 from Cork
2,144 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: ZX12R,GSXR11,Vmax,Monkey
Modifications: Loads

Don't buy the box - really is a waste of money. I bought a set ages ago used them once and gave them away. They were for an fzr1000. If they're the same as what you're looking for gimme a shout and I'll get em back for you to use
Old 7th August 2018, 08:31 PM
ACDC

cheers i dont know exactly the sizes i need just that i will need 4 as I said i just checked the clearances with the guage and 3 were too tight and 1 no friction

Originally Posted by I polished one off to a dude
out of interest, are the edges slightly chamfered or a sharp 90?
dont know didnt take the cams off

sound but I will need to get the exact sizes first but appreciate it and will message you

Originally Posted by ciderking
Don't buy the box - really is a waste of money. I bought a set ages ago used them once and gave them away. They were for an fzr1000. If they're the same as what you're looking for gimme a shout and I'll get em back for you to use
I will sleep on it , 2 lads so far said its a bad idea and id be stuck with it but the way i was looking at it was it would work out the same as buying 4 from wemoto
Old 7th August 2018, 10:09 PM
complete grumpy git

Biker.ie Member No. 7767 from ballinspittle
2,545 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: trx850
Modifications: lowering kit to fit my sh

Originally Posted by acdc
here sorry for my ramble but this is the link , they fit hundreds of models

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/362016765920...torefresh=true
Dont forget custom charges. THEY WILL CATCH you
Old 7th August 2018, 10:10 PM
ACDC

Originally Posted by ciderking
thanks lads, Ill sort ye out beer tokens for them, I wont be taking her off again till the weekend after next so I will have the sizes I need, and Ill send ye the shims im taking out up to ye.

the lad above mentioned if the shim is ok like 90deg edge or bate , if there bate what exactly does that mean , not good news as I thought it was the valve wearing not the shim??
Old 7th August 2018, 10:11 PM
ACDC

Originally Posted by grumpy1
Dont forget custom charges. THEY WILL CATCH you
Ebay does that for you when buying from America and you pay at checkout , it shows up on the sale page the import charges which were 19:USD on them but cheers for the reminder.

see the part below the price
Click the image to open in full size.

so in other words Ger the fuckers get you lol before the item has even got a stamp on it
years back it was hit and miss, I got an airtech rear 300usd and no import ask from the postman, these days you would not get a mars bar without duty

Last edited by acdc; 7th August 2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 8th August 2018, 01:09 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 34990 from Wicklow
400 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: 2006 ZX10R

The biggest problem with buying those boxes is you only get 3 of each size. Usually most existing shims will be around the same size, up or down a size or two. The sizes you'll need will be mostly the same, up or down a size or two. If you have 16 valves, but only 3 of each size in the box, chances are it won't have enough of what you need, and loads of sizes you have no use for.
Old 8th August 2018, 01:47 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31692 from Athlone
366 posts since Jun 2013
Motorbike: NC23, 29, 35, RS125
Modifications: Speed Holes

Could you organise a shim swap with a local dealer or charitable mechanic in the area for the price of a pint or two?
Old 8th August 2018, 02:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9750 from Cork
2,144 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: ZX12R,GSXR11,Vmax,Monkey
Modifications: Loads

Originally Posted by acdc
thanks lads, Ill sort ye out beer tokens for them, I wont be taking her off again till the weekend after next so I will have the sizes I need, and Ill send ye the shims im taking out up to ye.

the lad above mentioned if the shim is ok like 90deg edge or bate , if there bate what exactly does that mean , not good news as I thought it was the valve wearing not the shim??
Mine are 7.48mm diameter. I've just bought some for the Vmax for 2.50 from wemoto but they're the bigger shim - 26mm
Old 8th August 2018, 04:57 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,715 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: FJ1100

Have you checked your valve clearances already? Last bike I did needed 6 of the same size shim so a box with 3 of each wouldn't have worked
Old 8th August 2018, 06:46 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
758 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard

Accurately check the gaps and procedure in line with the workshop manual..

If some need thicker and others need thinner you might get away with just swapping them around.

If not , maybe call a breaker or workshop to see if they keep any used ones lying around.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
shim, sizes