Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 1st August 2018, 04:33 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps
Default RSA - Anti Biking Regime

Ive been biting my bit for the couple of years.

and the more you see in the media, the more you realise we are being painted as a nuisance, a danger and the list goes on and on.

you can sit back and do ***k all, but seriously, it needs to stop. And if they had their way, we'd be off the road and banned. You only have to look at some of the comments in social media slating bikers on a whole.

The RSA in my opinion have been spurting anti biking rhetoric from day 1. ( Murdoc from the RSA has a hardline attitude to motorcycles in general , from what i have seen and read over the last while. She went off on one last year, i called the RSA and i couldnt get her at all, not once i might add )

from the herald yesterday

https://www.herald.ie/news/bikers-wa...-37173422.html

[IMG]Motorcyclists are being urged to take extra care on the roads over the bank holiday weekend. The Road Safety Authority (RSA) has launched an appeal to motorcyclists to exercise caution, with 70pc of biker deaths in 2017 happening in the second half of the year. RSA chief executive Moyagh Murdock said the majority of bikers on Irish roads are responsible people. "Every year around this time we do see an increase in people killed and injured on the roads, and in particular motorcyclists are vulnerable," she said. "Last year, in the last six days of July, we saw five motorbikers killed." This year, five out of seven bikers were killed on a Sunday. "There are a small cohort out there who take chances and there are devastating consequences,"

Ms Murdock said. Stephen Murphy, an instructor with the RSA, said there are four main "killer behaviours" that take the lives of bikers. These include overtaking a line of traffic while not realising a car is turning right up front; overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic; and coming in too fast to a bend and ending up on the wrong side of the road. "

The fourth one is related to other motorists because other motorists don't take the appropriate observations, especially at junctions," said Mr Murphy. There was a particular issue with social or recreational motorcyclists, who might take their bikes out only one day a week. "Unfortunately, we have a lot of casual riders," said Mr Murphy. "You have motorcyclists who come out on the weekend, Saturday and especially Sunday. "They're riding very power- ful machines and they're not getting the practice or the experience in on them."

Protective Assistant Garda Commissioner David Sheahan said: "I have been at the scene of an accident where a motorcyclist lost his life. It was not pretty, it was not nice. "It is very hard to go back to families afterwards and try to give them the message that their loved one has been killed in a road traffic collision." Bikers have been urged to ease off the throttle and to wear personal protective equipment. Car drivers have also been reminded to be aware of motorcyclists and to "look and look again" for them while on the roads.[/IMG]

and have a listen to this "instructor" ( 40 seconds in ) who is an RSA Instructor and seems to know it all ?? He more or less apportions ALL BLAME on the motorcyclist and nobody else in the case of an accident.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018...5-road-safety/

Old 1st August 2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,676 posts since Dec 2011
Default Re: RSA - Anti Biking Regime

Fairly balanced in my view. Telling motorcyclists to have caution in keys areas is not making us out to be maniacs. And they top off the link with a guarda saying motorcyclists in the main are safe riders...and he urges motorists to look out for motorcyclists at junctions and so on.

What's the problem with that?

Last edited by green grass; 1st August 2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 1st August 2018, 04:52 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

ive no bother ppl being told to be safe etc, but banding about stats saying we're mostly to blame ourselves is utter bollox.

im all for safety and all that, but id like to them each of them on the back my bike for 2 weeks commuting and see what cnuts we have to put up with.
Old 1st August 2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,676 posts since Dec 2011

The Chief Executive of the RSA said that while most bikers behave responsibly,*there are some who are riding motorbikes with complete disregard for their own safety and the safety of others.

"Bikers who put on their helmet and think they are on a race track -*I would urge these motorcyclists to ease off the throttle," Moyagh Murdock said.

That all sounds ok to me. Sur only this week on this very site we had a example of the type of rider been referred to.
Old 1st August 2018, 05:27 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
723 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Just common sense imo...i dont feel we're being picked on ..as said the shit that was posted this week plus the recent fatalities makes for bad press..

BASA...i know the lad in Greece was not on his bike, but the press couldnt help reveal that he WAS a biker, also his brother was killed off a bike...just sayin..
Old 1st August 2018, 05:31 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5156 from Dublin
357 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: CBR600F4i
Modifications: None yet

Didn't read it all, but having 5 bikers killed in 6 days is 5 too many

We obviously need to be more aware cars are gonna pull out, the surface in the corner might have grit, slurry, diesel etc.

The cages really need to be properly trained on how to share the road with other users, attention on junctions, doing uturns, aggressive driving, frequent retesting the over 70's, guards on the m50 ....

The councils need to improve the road surfaces and stop gritting. They should open the bus lanes and remove vat on protective gear.

But yeah, saying it's all our fault is the easy way out
Old 1st August 2018, 05:45 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
885 posts since Apr 2008

Well balanced. Plenty of content acknowledging that most bikers behave well. Good comments about cagers looking out for us too.

Hard to defend ourselves as a group when there are those among us seemingly hell bent on creating the impression that we're reckless lunatics...
Old 1st August 2018, 08:12 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
503 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by Duke RR
ive no bother ppl being told to be safe etc, but banding about stats saying we're mostly to blame ourselves is utter bollox.

im all for safety and all that, but id like to them each of them on the back my bike for 2 weeks commuting and see what cnuts we have to put up with.
but its the truth. Just because you might be a careful and safe rider doesn't mean every other rider is. The point is there is a very small minority of bikers out there that either shouldnt be on a bike in the first place or really need to slow down and concentrate on what they are doing. It really is a small minority, 20 deaths out of all the bikers on the roads last year. But here's the point, nobody notices you, me or the dozens of other bikers they see each week riding safely and responsibly, but I guarantee they notice the clown pulling wheelies, filtering through traffic at 100kph, taking bends too fast and generally acting the maggot

I commute about 40 miles each way every day and some of the things I have seen other riders doing is simply shocking. I see car drivers and cyclists just as bad.

20 riders were killed last year. How many riders on the roads? I would guess about 5000. Thats a 0.4% fatality rate, far far too high in my opinion. Many of those riders died through no fault of their own, but a good proportion died because they were going too fast, were doing something stupid or had consumed alcohol or drugs.

So if the RSA are ranting on about road safety and the high fatality rate of bikers so what. If it saves one bikers life its worth putting up with. The problem though is the bikers these adverts and articles are aimed at are most likely the ones least likely to listen. If you are not the rider they are trying to get through to just carry on as normal

Last edited by efanton; 1st August 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1st August 2018, 08:22 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,344 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

Nanny State, get out and ride, the RSA is full of................Shipoooooooooo
Old 1st August 2018, 09:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
397 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

This "balanced view" accomplishes nothing except reinforce cagers views. Of course if they pull out on someone its not their fault. It must be one of the crazy ones.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35571 from Dublin
811 posts since Dec 2015
Motorbike: Bimota YB9 SRI
Modifications: Wear and Tear!

We should all get a voucher every year when we renew our tax for a free track day so we can practice some serious bike control......

Half joking wholly in earnest. I been riding a long time and learned a huge amount about bike control through trackdays.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:20 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,397 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

Personally, I think it's a reasonably balanced press release ... we do see more motorcyclists killed on warm, dry Sundays, than we see on cold, wet winter evenings ... wonder why that might be?

If you go back and look at the MAIDS report, or the stats from any EU country for the last 10 years or so, there's a trend
* Fatalities on all modes of transport are dropping, including on motorbikes
* Nearly half of all motorcycle serious / fatal accidents are caused by another driver

However that means that about half are likely caused by the rider (only a tiny portion are caused by mechanical failure).
Rider causes can include road surface not being race-track perfect, but the rider not adjusting speed / course etc to allow for that.
It includes overcooked corners with a tree or an oncoming truck in the way of the rider's escape route.
It includes reckless filtering where the gap becomes too narrow and the rider panics

And many other stupid things ... we've all seen them on the roads (and if you haven't, odds are you're the one doing it while we're watching !)

That's the hard truth.
About 15-20 motorcyclists a year die on Irish roads ... we can reduce that by half simply by being slightly more copped on .. I know it's not popular - we all want to be doing 200mph with our hair on fire etc.

And yes, there are other gripes (VAT etc, which is an EU problem), or road surface quality (which is everyone's problem) etc ... it doesn't mean we should ignore the things we can directly control ...
Old 1st August 2018, 10:54 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22402 from West Meath
275 posts since Jun 2010
Motorbike: Fireblade

Originally Posted by efanton
b How many riders on the roads? I would guess about 5000.
Based on what? I know this comes across as being real picky but you can't just go around making up numbers like that.

From what I can find on the CSO there were 38,000 bikes registered in the country in 2016, obviously plenty not in use so hard to come up with a figure of how many are being used not to mention multiple bikes with one owner etc. etc. (Some interesting stuff on the cso about new bikes and imports registered etc.)

I think people far over estimate how much everybody else cares about motorcyclists, nobody gives a shit about ya, nobody wants to ban bikes, they just don't care that much.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from Dubzland
2,165 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager

There was an artical in the paper today. Asking bikers to slow down
Over the bank holiday.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:21 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,146 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

If you read between the lines, it's not really well balanced at all.... Sure it's a nice thought to encourage the poor vulnerable motorcyclists to be safe, BUT, if they happen to be involved in a collision, then it must have been speeding or wreckless driving. That is the view the average motorist will have, because it says so in the news, even some statistics to back it up like. Bullshit campaign, with bullshit artists backing it.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:50 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,826 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by J_K
From what I can find on the CSO there were 38,000 bikes registered in the country in 2016, obviously plenty not in use so hard to come up with a figure of how many are being used not to mention multiple bikes with one owner etc. etc.
My back of napkin statistical calculations indicate you should divide that figure by 3 for the amount of people with more than 1 registered bike, then subtract 3500 for the number of registered bikes unused and currently sitting in showrooms for sale, then take away 52% from this amount to account for motorcycles written off and scrapped while the owners retain their log books, then divide that figure by 4 for an accurate reflection of everyday bikers currently using their motorcycles more than twice a week - and when you take 5% of that final figure - this indicates beyond all reasonable doubt, there's around 100 headcases tarein' round the country ruining it for everyone else.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:08 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
503 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by J_K
Based on what? I know this comes across as being real picky but you can't just go around making up numbers like that.

From what I can find on the CSO there were 38,000 bikes registered in the country in 2016, obviously plenty not in use so hard to come up with a figure of how many are being used not to mention multiple bikes with one owner etc. etc. (Some interesting stuff on the cso about new bikes and imports registered etc.)

I think people far over estimate how much everybody else cares about motorcyclists, nobody gives a shit about ya, nobody wants to ban bikes, they just don't care that much.
I did know there were over 30,000 registered bikes in ireland.

I also know that more than half are not used for commuting.

then take away the bikes that are used by bikers that only use their bikes at the weekends, and then only when it dry, the so called weekend warriors

then subtract those bikes that are in showrooms

finally take away those bikes that are 'projects' or 'being restored' that although resgistered never see a road.

So did I pull a figure out of the air? YES. But given the above I would say about 5000 or so would be a pretty fair guess, it certainly would not be as much as 10,000 bikes used every single week.
Old 2nd August 2018, 06:13 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 36041
411 posts since Apr 2016
Motorbike: BMW F650
Modifications: Air freshner

Originally Posted by efanton
I did know there were over 30,000 registered bikes in ireland.

I also know that more than half are not used for commuting.

then take away the bikes that are used by bikers that only use their bikes at the weekends, and then only when it dry, the so called weekend warriors

then subtract those bikes that are in showrooms

finally take away those bikes that are 'projects' or 'being restored' that although resgistered never see a road.

So did I pull a figure out of the air? YES. But given the above I would say about 5000 or so would be a pretty fair guess, it certainly would not be as much as 10,000 bikes used every single week.
Yes if even 10,000 used every week.
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:34 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
348 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Have no problem with this report. This is a yearly ocurrence with the usual crackdown on a bank holiday weekend. Anyone who is a regular Sunday spinner (myself included) who frequents all the regular bike haunts will know the risks some take.
I have seen suicidal overtakes of 5 cars and blind bends and just the regular tear arsing about the place. Havent got a problem with it as we are all big boys and girls and know the risks etc etc.
Its just when I hear on certain fellas going off on one refusing to acknowledge the role bikers play in their own accidents. Its not always some cager who didnt see ya, its sometimes down to speed, pure and simple or speed in the wrong context to be more exact.
Of course its nanny stateism but the likes of Moya Murdock have to be SEEN to be doing something in order to justify big pay cheques. Guards are totally under resourced, will have a couple of check points speed cameras etc and then after the weekend normal services can resume. Instead of the wailing and gnashing of teeth I just see bike accidents as an unfortunate side effect of risky behaviour.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:12 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31434 from Dublin
325 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: KTM 990 SMR & KTM 690

Imagine how much blood pressure would have been reduced if heed wasn't taken of what comes out in the media.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
anti, biking, regime, rsa