Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Jack Kennedy takes BSB title    
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 5th August 2018, 10:49 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,872 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS + my missus
Modifications: A hand that waves!
Default Re: Opinions please

Originally Posted by mjfitzpa
Hi all Iím back biking after a 26 year lay off I purchased a bmw r1200gs it was all going great , took to it again no problem. Put couple thousand miles on it but was worried about it having no history of been serviced for some years although the guy I bought it from said it was done . Anyway I decided to bring it to a bmw workshop and asked him to service it and change the oil in final drive . He recommended not to change oil in it as bearing was worn and it would leak but he had final drives for sale and he could fit one of them we agreed a price and he done the work . When I paid him and picked up the bike he told me the abs sensor wasnít a match but to give him a few day heíd sort it with his tech guy, 3 weeks later he said leave bike in for a few hour to sort it . That was three weeks ago the final drive and sensor wouldnít match I asked him to put original drive back on and he still canít get the abs working , wants to buy the bike now but only offering trade price and I cannot get a replacement for that price and we cannot agree on price for newer bike , he doesnít seem interested in fixing mine anymore. What do I do now no bike load of hassle.
Right a couple of things. the final drive and gearbox oil is supposed to be changed every 18-24 months. Any mechanic who knows anything would suggest changing ALL the fluids. At least you know where you are starting from in terms of service schedules. New oil would not make the final drive leak . And for him to then sell you a replacement final drive to fix a non existent problem? I'd be back to him immediately. Get your original final drive off him. Shove the new one up his arse and demand your money back or you will name and shame him publicly and bring him to court.

Personally, I'd do this before you name him. It can only be one of a number of people. But, maybe the mechanic has his side to the story.

Best of luck but it sounds like someone is shafting you. (pun intended)
Old 5th August 2018, 10:52 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by BigDiggity
You gave him a fully functional bike and paid him to service it and carry out work... now your bike is no longer fully functional and heís been paid... and heís offering to give you a shit price for it because he canít fix it.... horseshit. Donít stand for that at all.
This sums it up.
Old 5th August 2018, 12:17 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,852 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Not very community-minded.
But true, nonetheless. As you went on to point out.

So to summarise the jist of this thread...

OP wants advice from the community on how to minimise the impact of a bogus mechanic on just himself.

OP won't advise the community who that bogus mechanic is, when doing so would likely minimise the impact of that bogus mechanic on the many members of that same community?

"...he not a registered bmw dealer. but it only make of bike he deals with..."

How many mechanics around fit that description? I'd be pretty sure any BMW owner watching on here will likely know every independent BMW guy out there.

OP - less selfishness, more altruism. Pronto!

Forget about shaming - name the mechanic dude, or think about fucking off.

1. Help the community, not just yourself.

2. Allow this mechanic to defend himself and salvage his reputation.

3. Allow other customers of his to comment on their experiences with him.
Old 5th August 2018, 12:57 PM
Supporter

Not very community-minded.

So to summarise the jist of this thread...

OP wants advice from the community on how to minimise the impact of a bogus mechanic on just himself.

OP won't advise the community who that bogus mechanic is, when doing so would likely minimise the impact of that bogus mechanic on the many members of that same community?

"...he not a registered bmw dealer. but it only make of bike he deals with..."

How many mechanics around fit that description? I'd be pretty sure any BMW owner watching on here will likely know every independent BMW guy out there.

OP - less selfishness, more altruism. Pronto!

Forget about shaming - name the mechanic dude, or think about fucking off.

1. Help the community, not just yourself.

2. Allow this mechanic to defend himself and salvage his reputation.

3. Allow other customers of his to comment on their experiences with him.
Did you have a LOT of coffee this morning? In fairness to the OP he just asked a question and is looking for advice. How you construe this to mean he is being selfish is a little bit beyond me
Old 5th August 2018, 02:08 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
891 posts since Apr 2008

Hadn't had coffee yet...

You own a GS. You're no Veblen sucker, so you want an independent BMW mechanic you can trust. You choose a guy. He shafts you. You later realise it's the same mechanic that previously shafted another biker.ie. Would you have liked to have been aware in advance that that mechanic was a shafter?

OK so OP isn't quite selfish, and he wants to hang off naming mechanic to give him the opportunity to make good, but afterwards - whether he makes good or not - he might let us know who it is? Fair enough?

Last edited by Phaedrus; 5th August 2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 5th August 2018, 02:29 PM
Supporter

Hadn't had coffee yet...

You own a GS. You're no Veblen sucker, so you want an independent BMW mechanic you can trust. You choose a guy. He shafts you. You later realise it's the same mechanic that previously shafted another biker.ie. Would you have liked to have been aware in advance that that mechanic was a shafter?

OK so OP isn't quite selfish, and he wants to hang off naming mechanic to give him the opportunity to make good, but afterwards - whether he makes good or not - he might let us know who it is? Fair enough?
I totally agree but ya gotta give the lad time to get the whole thing in action. I've met you a few times and you are as sound as but you came across a small bit mental in your previous post i think it's a shame the OP does not have the part of the country he lives in in his bio. That would give us something to work with
Old 5th August 2018, 03:46 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
891 posts since Apr 2008

Now I'm scared.... Is Frank your real name?

For context, I'm currently contemplating independent BMW guys to do some work on my GS (get over it Gixxer )

So right now OP's situation is of significant interest to me.

In other words, I'd love to avoid his experience.
Old 5th August 2018, 03:53 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Now I'm scared.... Is Frank your real name?

For context, I'm currently contemplating independent BMW guys to do some work on my GS (get over it Gixxer )

So right now OP's situation is of significant interest to me.

In other words, I'd love to avoid his experience.
You didn't need to advertise in your bio that you own a GS, it was already quite evident
Old 5th August 2018, 04:21 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
891 posts since Apr 2008

Don't tell me you know me in the real world too...

Anyway, OP - do update on how you get on.
Old 5th August 2018, 10:23 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 25794
58 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: yamaha

welcome back
Old 5th August 2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,651 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Is it a lad on Done deal in south dublin with only bmws for sale?
Old 5th August 2018, 10:46 PM
Resident gynaecologist

In fairness, everyone selling BMWs is a fucking chancer!
Old 6th August 2018, 09:54 PM
mehhh

Biker.ie Member No. 35950 from Galway
427 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: RSV4, Duc 916, VFR 800

Hadn't had coffee yet...

Too much shaft talk in this - you sick punning bastid
Old 6th August 2018, 11:09 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38107 from Co Derry
36 posts since Mar 2018
Motorbike: S1000r
Modifications: Usual

Makes sense.Fair play to you.
Old 7th August 2018, 07:14 PM
Reformed Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 7498
183 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Honda/BMW
Modifications: wheels

Chancer and incompetent.
Naming can bring solicitors....
Old 8th August 2018, 11:02 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38470
3 posts since Aug 2018
Motorbike: Bmw r1200gs
Modifications: None

Thank you all for your comments don't know if it was posting on here or going to take the bike elsewhere that done the trick , but he worked all weekend and got the abs fixed ,so I have the bike back now and ready for the Ulster Grand Prix at the weekend , I was just asking for your opinions on here , not trying to form a posse or lynch mob . The guy can do the work and it was just my experience there. It's just a pity it took 3 weeks and us to fallout for the job to get done. He was disappointed I posted on here so he must be a member so if he wants to respond fire away .main dealers from here on for me .
Old 9th August 2018, 12:45 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
492 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

As well he wasn't arsed to come here to reply to the thread, in fairness it would only have been an
"I said / he said" pantomime season fuckfest. Since he did fix the bike there must be some good in him. Glad ya got sorted in the end, happy motoring.
Old 9th August 2018, 08:30 AM
Supporter

Sorry but the whole story stinks. Not you mjfitzpa but your experience. You don't change the final drive because of a worn seal. You change the seal. Was it leaking when you brought it in? If not, how did the mechanic know it was worn? You can tell if a bearing is worn or on it's way out by putting the bike on the center stand and doing a few checks. Then you replace the bearing. I've done it myself. The pinion bit is a cnut to do granted but it can be done with the right tools. Fitting an abs sensor does not take all weekend.

I think you are doing the guy more damage by not giving all the relevent info, should you know it.

Anyway, like I said, the whole thing stinks.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:17 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,549 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Sounds to me like he fucked something up in the first place, couldnt be arsed to fix it and tried to fob you off, that didnt work so he tried to buy it cheap off you, that didnt work and when he realised it was going public he then did what he should have in the first place and fixed your fuckin bike, wouldnt be going to him again in a hurry.
Old 13th August 2018, 01:02 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by mjfitzpa
He was disappointed I posted on here so he must be a member so if he wants to respond fire away.
I bet he was, and I think we all know who it is

I still think it's shit to use this place as leverage, even if the independent BMW mechanic is a wanker.

Last edited by Gixxer; 13th August 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
opinions