Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 1st August 2018, 02:13 PM
Finally graduating from2T

Biker.ie Member No. 20467 from North County Dublin
4,071 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: NSR 250s, R6 13s
Modifications: Loud can
Default Re: Thinking of swapping a bandit for gsxr 600

Yamaha R6 gets 230-250km until fuel light comes on. 17.5 litre tank (I think). Bandit seems way worse on fuel?
Old 1st August 2018, 06:06 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38109
24 posts since Mar 2018

Originally Posted by Motomong
Love commuting on the R6. Fits thru the tightest gaps
I'd love an R6 there just out of my price range at the moment. The gsxr I'm looking at is a k3 and is within my budget.
Old 1st August 2018, 06:11 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

24 posts since Mar 2018

Originally Posted by positron
If you want to reduce your fuel bill - look at Honda NC750 - it's a perfect city commuter bike, with front storage, great fuel efficiency and upright riding position. It's also a million miles away from a sports bike - so that might not be ideal.

If you plan on commuting all year round, and something slightly more sporty, perhaps have you considered a BMW F800ST? They are very efficient on fuel - I get 4.2 l/100km on my F800GT (which is very similar to ST); Or in other words a tank is about 15 litres (20 euro to fill) and I get about 300 km per tank. It has plenty of poke for city as well as motorway use, decent amount of fairing etc. Yes, it's a BMW but sure nothing is perfect.
My two dream bikes I'd like to own are a Honda vfr 400 nc30 and a Honda vfr nc750 but there just so expensive my mechanic has a few of them and there well out of my budget. Is that BMW belt or shaft driven? I'd rather stay away from BMW to be honest my mechanic always advises me to stick with Suzuki or honda since I daily commute on my bike there the most reliable brands he said and not much maintenance with them.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:38 AM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,699 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by Ianmoore
My two dream bikes I'd like to own are a Honda vfr 400 nc30 and a Honda vfr nc750 but there just so expensive my mechanic has a few of them and there well out of my budget. Is that BMW belt or shaft driven? I'd rather stay away from BMW to be honest my mechanic always advises me to stick with Suzuki or honda since I daily commute on my bike there the most reliable brands he said and not much maintenance with them.
the bmw generally would have a shaft drive no messing around with chain maintenance but on the other side maintenance if your paying a lad would be more expensive than a jap 4.
dont put too much faith in your mechanics advice on which bike to buy as you will be riding her and best of luck with your search, the bandit 6 is a grand bike both for learners and lads driving for donkeys , Id love to have a b6 as a winter hack second bike.
very reliable , easy to maintain and not too hard on the wallet and they have a bit of poke too, you could always try a gearing change and drop a tooth on the front and go up 2/3 on the rear sprocket
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:58 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

24 posts since Mar 2018

Originally Posted by acdc
the bmw generally would have a shaft drive no messing around with chain maintenance but on the other side maintenance if your paying a lad would be more expensive than a jap 4.
dont put too much faith in your mechanics advice on which bike to buy as you will be riding her and best of luck with your search, the bandit 6 is a grand bike both for learners and lads driving for donkeys , Id love to have a b6 as a winter hack second bike.
very reliable , easy to maintain and not too hard on the wallet and they have a bit of poke too, you could always try a gearing change and drop a tooth on the front and go up 2/3 on the rear sprocket

I definitely understand what your saying there is no harm in trying out something new to see if it works for me or not but from just reviews and test driving one shaft driven BMW bike I didn't like it because every single person I know that drives bikes said you loose 33% power to the back wheel compared to chain and sprocket is only 8% and if a shaft drive ever goes it's an expensive fix compared to new chain and sprocket.. My own bandit is staged 3 dynojetted and have an advancer in as well so there is plenty of poke if I to open it up a bit. Thank you for your opinion and advice it has helped open my mind about what next bike I should get.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:41 PM
ACDC

I definitely understand what your saying there is no harm in trying out something new to see if it works for me or not but from just reviews and test driving one shaft driven BMW bike I didn't like it because every single person I know that drives bikes said you loose 33% power to the back wheel compared to chain and sprocket is only 8% and if a shaft drive ever goes it's an expensive fix compared to new chain and sprocket.. My own bandit is staged 3 dynojetted and have an advancer in as well so there is plenty of poke if I to open it up a bit. Thank you for your opinion and advice it has helped open my mind about what next bike I should get.
and same as , I never knew you lost a massive 33% of power on a shaft drive I thought there was no loss, learn something new every day
she sounds like a sweet bandit, stage 3 and all
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,113 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: F800GT

NC750 was never an expensive bike to buy or to run - it's like 7k new. It's very sitty-uppy and not ideal for motorway runs in my personal view, even the NC750x with hand guards, but they are very popular commuters.

BMW F800S/ST/GT are all belt driven. You are right about service and maintenance, could be expensive (so I have been told, will find out in next few months for myself). However belt means no messy weekly chain maintenance business in dark freezing winter days - unavoidable if you commute all year round. I know, because I have been commuting on a Fazer 600 for 8 years. These belts last 30-40k kms, and F800S/ST belt can be bought for 100-150 there abouts and changing the belt can be DIY'ed in less than 30 mins, based on videos on youtube. These bikes might be less reliable than a Honda, but comes with goodies as well - ABS, heated grips etc. Anyway, as you can probably tell, I like it so far. :)
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:33 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,392 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by Dub Duke
Yamaha R6 gets 230-250km until fuel light comes on. 17.5 litre tank (I think). Bandit seems way worse on fuel?
Ya, the R6 starts the heavy drinking above 8k rpm. On a sensible commute it's actually very decent on fuel.
Old 4th August 2018, 03:13 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

24 posts since Mar 2018

Just wanted to let ye guys know I went for the gsxr 600 in the corona colour way with a full delkevic exhaust system got it for €500 with my own bandit
Old 4th August 2018, 06:32 PM
ACDC

Just wanted to let ye guys know I went for the gsxr 600 in the corona colour way with a full delkevic exhaust system got it for 500 with my own bandit
mighty stuff, well wear
Old 5th August 2018, 12:39 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 36041
411 posts since Apr 2016
Motorbike: BMW F650
Modifications: Air freshner

Just wanted to let ye guys know I went for the gsxr 600 in the corona colour way with a full delkevic exhaust system got it for 500 with my own bandit
GSXR are legendary, best of luck with it
Old 9th August 2018, 08:41 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
196 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

I'd love an R6 there just out of my price range at the moment. The gsxr I'm looking at is a k3 and is within my budget.
Ah no I was just referring to commuting on a sports bike. I see a good few gixxers on my commute regularly

Originally Posted by RTV
Ya, the R6 starts the heavy drinking above 8k rpm. On a sensible commute it's actually very decent on fuel.
It's cheaper than the bus

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
600, bandit, gsxr, swapping, thinking