Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 11th October 2017, 04:35 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37722
6 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: Bsa A10
Default Getting a registration for an old yoke.

I bought a basket case Bsa 650 A10 years ago and never did much with it. I have started to put it back together and i got to wondering how do you register an old bike with no paperwork ?

I have a reg plate and log book for an old scrapped Triumph tiger cub. Is there anyway i could get that number switched to the Beeza ?
Old 11th October 2017, 07:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,370 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches
Default Re: Getting a registration for an old yoke.

Second half first - not much hope of that working out well

First half second - Get in touch with some of the clubs, maybe you can decode the existing frame number to get a manufacturing date etc ... without at least that level of documentation (or ideally and old registration number for it), you'll have trouble not getting a 172 / 181 plate or whatever on it, and having to pay the requisite VAT / VRT too !!

The IVVMCC may be in a position to advise, they're usually good with stuff like that
Old 11th October 2017, 08:09 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5461 from Dublin
1,055 posts since May 2007

The IVVMCC have a machine dating officer who'll do you up a letter confirming what the bike is and the year of manufacture. He'll then tell you how to register the bike.

Forget putting the book and plate from another machine on it, theres too much of that dodgy crap going on
Old 11th October 2017, 08:46 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

6 posts since Oct 2017

Thanks all. I wasn't going to do anything dodgy, but the log book and plate for the old triumph are no further use as the bike was broken up years since. I don't fancy a 171 d number on an old machine much.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:27 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,337 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by triumph
The IVVMCC have a machine dating officer who'll do you up a letter confirming what the bike is and the year of manufacture. He'll then tell you how to register the bike.

Forget putting the book and plate from another machine on it, theres too much of that dodgy crap going on
Im 4 months waiting for a datjng cert ffs .pissed me off enough i diddnt renew my membershit to the club yet
Old 12th October 2017, 03:28 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

6 posts since Oct 2017

I was a member of that club years ago and gave up on it. It was very cliquey, if you weren't one of the old boys, you were nothing. Does it have to be the ivvmcc or is there another way ?
Old 12th October 2017, 03:48 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 33474
73 posts since Jul 2014

I think can get dating cert from BSA owner club in UK. should work not sure. 100%
Old 12th October 2017, 03:53 PM
spanner spinner

Originally Posted by datareactor
I think can get dating cert from BSA owner club in UK. should work not sure. 100%
Yup that should do
Old 12th October 2017, 05:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9671 from Dublin
458 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: BMW & Kawasakis
Wink Re: Getting a registration for an old yoke.

Originally Posted by chopper
Im 4 months waiting for a datjng cert ffs .pissed me off enough i diddnt renew my membershit to the club yet
Hope you're not referring to me there Chopper!!
Old 12th October 2017, 05:13 PM
Supporter

458 posts since Apr 2008

Originally Posted by datareactor
Not sure that UK cert will work. As you know I was dating officer of IVVMCC up to last year and while you can verify the age through the BSA Owners club AFAIK you will need a cert from a recognised club like IVVMCC or VJMC. Check first with the NCT crowd as when you have the dating cert you will have to bring the bike to them ideally to show that it runs
the dating cert if ok with NCT means you get an age related reg like 56D or ZV TBH not sure if ZV's still being issued had heard that you had a choice. After you have your reg then you can proceed to tax it but you will need to have it insured - that sounds like its a long way - maybe declare it off road.
Sure you have my email address? - did you get to Leopardstown?
Plenty of cliques to choose from

Last edited by DUBLINCHRIS; 12th October 2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:06 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch // D15
136 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Not aimed at the OP directly, I think the biggest fear in getting an engine or frame no' without title would be when your completed machine is to be taxed. If either no' is registered on the wrong database (stolen) you will lose the completed machine. I appriciate you need the vintage plates first to tax the bike.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:48 PM
spanner spinner

Originally Posted by DUBLINCHRIS
Not sure that UK cert will work. As you know I was dating officer of IVVMCC up to last year and while you can verify the age through the BSA Owners club AFAIK you will need a cert from a recognised club like IVVMCC or VJMC. Check first with the NCT crowd as when you have the dating cert you will have to bring the bike to them ideally to show that it runs
the dating cert if ok with NCT means you get an age related reg like 56D or ZV TBH not sure if ZV's still being issued had heard that you had a choice. After you have your reg then you can proceed to tax it but you will need to have it insured - that sounds like its a long way - maybe declare it off road.
Sure you have my email address? - did you get to Leopardstown?
Plenty of cliques to choose from
Doesnt have to be club .moreso an authority. Ie danfay can do yamaha dating certs , priory can do suzuki certs etc etc . The vintage clubs are all getting the info from old factory records anyway so it shouldnt natter who gives the dating cert as long as they are known to be an authority on such things
Old 12th October 2017, 10:17 PM
Supporter

458 posts since Apr 2008
Post Re: Getting a registration for an old yoke.

Doesnt have to be club .moreso an authority. Ie danfay can do yamaha dating certs , priory can do suzuki certs etc etc . The vintage clubs are all getting the info from old factory records anyway so it shouldnt natter who gives the dating cert as long as they are known to be an authority on such things
Yes the NCT people will deal with approved issuers of the certs problem is if there is no dealer - VJMC & IVVMCC are approved issuers of certs. Yes the clubs will refer back to Owners clubs etc in UK and other places. One problem with UK clubs is they don't understand the difference between the very thorough requirements of the DVLA and like the VJMC in the UK are reluctant to issue even basic age confirmations to clubs like IVVMCC - believe me I have dealt with most of the owners clubs and they just don't get that all I needed was a confirmation of the date of manufacture of the particular machine. Remember the detail I was able to get for you for I think your Starfire?
With the date of manufacture I was able to issue the certs - remember at the bottom of the cert it states....the cert is issued on the basis of the best information available. That can be a very open ended get out clause.
When going for a new old log book where the normal hand over paperwork was not completed - e.g. when there was no log book - I would fill out the relevant form and get any local dealer to verify the engine and frame numbers then go to a commissioner for oaths and get signature and form verified. Post form to relevant licensing authority and wait a week or so to receive in the post a "new" "old" brown log book - have done this numerous times - oldest bike being 1957 when initially told there was no record or old log book.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:20 PM
Supporter

458 posts since Apr 2008
Smile Re: Getting a registration for an old yoke.

The local dealers are reluctant to issue a cert for bikes they no longer deal with - its just too much trouble - Ask M50 Honda to date a 1960's Honda
As for a BSA!!
Old 12th October 2017, 10:30 PM
Supporter

458 posts since Apr 2008
Post Re: Getting a registration for an old yoke.

Originally Posted by me2
Not aimed at the OP directly, I think the biggest fear in getting an engine or frame no' without title would be when your completed machine is to be taxed. If either no' is registered on the wrong database (stolen) you will lose the completed machine. I appreciate you need the vintage plates first to tax the bike.
With all the "old" bikes I dated never had a problem. The NCT people just issue a reg number based on the dating certs. With the reg number you progress to taxing the bike. The NCT people only have a database for recognised makes. If your bike is not on the data base then with a dating cert they will create an entry on their database.
If you have a reg number you don't need a dating cert - you can proceed as per my post above and apply for the tax book. With the old bikes it is highly unlikely that you would lose the machine. I did one for myself where I had a reg number and when I went to local authority I discovered that the reg number on my machine did not not match the engine and frame numbers held by local authority for that machine. After validating the two sets of engine and frame numbers the local authority was able to "correct" the "error" on their files and issue me with a "new" old brown log book - so now I have a log book with the engine/frame and reg no. all matching
Old 14th October 2017, 02:35 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 12933
536 posts since Oct 2008

Was it registered in Ireland and u just don't have the book ? If it's was registered here it's handy enough to get ... I only got a log book in the post the other day after sending off the forms .. and I didn't even no the reg all I had to go on was the chassis number.. rang Shannon and your one on the phone was very helpful... I think it only took about a week and half , and the book arrived ��
Old 14th October 2017, 07:42 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

6 posts since Oct 2017

No i believe the bike came in with an irish lad who was working and living in london for years, decided to come back to Ireland. Nearly certain it was never on the road here.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:52 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 3046 from Dublin
22,920 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: ZZR

Gimme the frame number, a mate has a hpi account and it might still be registered.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
registration, yoke