Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th October 2017, 05:18 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
27 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust
Unhappy Spill this morning

So lads, on m50 this morning and had a spill. I'm OK and bike damage is front and rear brake lever, right blinker and some scuffing on the body and a little chip from the ring mirror shroud.

Basically I'm in lane 3 and cage pulls out to lane 2, I gently roll on a little only to have the cage swerve back into lane 3 while deploying the brakes. I can only assume the cage had someone coming hot from behind in lane 2 and panicked.

I hit the brakes hard and the front started to wobble. I scrubbed off as much speed as possible before ditching into the center median (so as not to be collected by traffic).

The cage that caused it went on his merry way and never bothered his bollox to stop to check even. Taxi behind stopped lane 3 so I could move bike etc. 2 bikers stopped (one I work with, the other works in same building I think.

Then when we are pulling out from the right median, I match speed and indicate left to rejoin lane 3.......some fuckwit starts trying to match my speed and not let me out. I was seconds from claiming his wing mirror the cunt.

Anyway, bike in getting fixed and I have a rattle can with suzuki blue matched to the bike, just to tidy it up. My first bike and 5 months riding and finally I come off. I managed to come down to 50kmh from maybe 70-80 when it all went wrong thanks to fuckwit 1.

Lesson learned, when cages pull out to let you pass, ensure cagers lane is clean for cages. If not , cages is likely to panick and swerve back in. My fault for allowing this to happen.

Be safe out there
Old 10th October 2017, 05:54 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,008 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer
Default Re: Spill this morning

Shitty thing to happen but you walked away so I guess it was a good one
Old 10th October 2017, 05:55 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 31868
65 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: SV650S 1st gen aka Curvy

Happens to the best of us, not a doubt about it. Take a deep breath, chillax, get your parts sorted and hop on back on the bike. Rethink how you could avoid the whole situation (if possible) and learn from it.

Others will probably give you more valuable advise, but as a daily user of M50 I can only tell you to stay even more defensive and always observe other lanes to get more spacial awareness. Easier said than done but doable, riding in M50 traffic is often a 3 lane affair even if you dont change anything.

Hey I broke my screen parking today (!!), not a good day for SVs.
Old 10th October 2017, 06:21 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

27 posts since Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Weevil 2.0
Happens to the best of us, not a doubt about it. Take a deep breath, chillax, get your parts sorted and hop on back on the bike. Rethink how you could avoid the whole situation (if possible) and learn from it.

Others will probably give you more valuable advise, but as a daily user of M50 I can only tell you to stay even more defensive and always observe other lanes to get more spacial awareness. Easier said than done but doable, riding in M50 traffic is often a 3 lane affair even if you dont change anything.

Hey I broke my screen parking today (!!), not a good day for SVs.
Wreck a Suzuki day
I've been thinking and battling with myself since the fall this morning trying to piece it all together.
Old 10th October 2017, 06:38 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37486
16 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Kawasaki Z 750

Don't worry about the bike.
At least you are grand and nothing major happened.
Fair play to the 2 bikers and the Taxi driver offered you some help.
Old 10th October 2017, 07:16 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
8,842 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S

Would a dashcam have helped at all?
Old 10th October 2017, 07:35 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

27 posts since Jul 2017

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Would a dashcam have helped at all?
I don't think so. Car didn't hit me, just was undecided on his lanes and caused me to brake hard, which led to the front end coming a bit loose etc. So don't think it would have helped. I must rig a cam up to my lid for commuting. It's like the wild west during rush hours.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:45 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Originally Posted by GONKO
I don't think so. Car didn't hit me, just was undecided on his lanes and caused me to brake hard, which led to the front end coming a bit loose etc. So don't think it would have helped. I must rig a cam up to my lid for commuting. It's like the wild west during rush hours.
Exactly: if not specifically for this time, the next time we may not all be so lucky that no one is hurt due to someone else's actions.

I'd really like it to be "standard practice" for everyone to have dashcams, not just bikers. Every commercial vehicle should have one - and I can't understand why any company that has vehicles wouldn't have them, to cover their own ass. Private owners should want to protect themselves in the case of an incident, too - insurers should give discounts to anyone who uses one, to protect themselves and lower insurance premiums for everyone.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:02 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
1,880 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

Sorry to hear about the spill but glad you survived it. I fookin hate the M50 and have to use it a lot to get to work. My only saving grace is that I have an employer and job that allows for very flexible hours. So I avoid the busy time like the plague.
I filter rather aggressively cause I personally find that if you sit there, the cagers get twitchy. You can see them gawking at you in the mirrors once they hear you and then they expect you to make a dumb move while they forget to pay attention to the road and their own driving.
Anyway, lesson learned and you've already moved on so good on ya!
Old 10th October 2017, 09:10 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
190 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Exactly: if not specifically for this time, the next time we may not all be so lucky that no one is hurt due to someone else's actions.

I'd really like it to be "standard practice" for everyone to have dashcams, not just bikers. Every commercial vehicle should have one - and I can't understand why any company that has vehicles wouldn't have them, to cover their own ass. Private owners should want to protect themselves in the case of an incident, too - insurers should give discounts to anyone who uses one, to protect themselves and lower insurance premiums for everyone.
that's a double edged sword, and I hope it never becomes standard practice or part of the terms of any policy. Eventually they would demand that a camera be used at all times or else your policy is null and void.

What happens if you make a genuine mistake that results in an accident, even a very minor one, and the insurance company demands a copy of your video footage?

Best left the way it is, where you can volunteer footage in pursuit of a claim, but not be obliged to do so.

Last edited by efanton; 10th October 2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34628
779 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: st1300
Modifications: Tax

Glad your alright. I use m 50 every day and it can be a pain in the sphincter at the best of times. Your blessed that you drove away and are fine. Some pox bottles hate to see bikes progressing when their stuck in traffic.
Count your lucky chickens.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,009 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Glad you're ok but it is obvious that you need a louder can :-)
Old 10th October 2017, 10:54 PM
FUMB AS DUCK

Biker.ie Member No. 26031 from Cill Chainnigh
5,043 posts since Apr 2011
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Rizla GSXR
Modifications: Too many

You're in one piece that's the main thing you lived to tell the tale
Old 11th October 2017, 09:28 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10631 from Tallaght
1,163 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: VFR 800 / CB1000 RA

At least your ok & not much damage. Back on board & try learn from it.
M50 is madness at times. Every evening for about 3 weeks i was filtering through huge tailbacks. Might start going back through town.
Old 11th October 2017, 09:40 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37188 from Dublin
16 posts since Apr 2017
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Akrapovic, r/h clutch

Originally Posted by efanton
that's a double edged sword, and I hope it never becomes standard practice or part of the terms of any policy. Eventually they would demand that a camera be used at all times or else your policy is null and void.

What happens if you make a genuine mistake that results in an accident, even a very minor one, and the insurance company demands a copy of your video footage?

Best left the way it is, where you can volunteer footage in pursuit of a claim, but not be obliged to do so.
Hear hear...does your riding conform to the rules of the road every time? How do you feel about a driver taking exception to something you've done and submitting their footage to the cops? (Happening in the UK now). Brilliant to have if you're in the right, but I hate the thought that you're permanently under surveillance...
Old 11th October 2017, 10:03 AM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Originally Posted by discoblade
Hear hear...does your riding conform to the rules of the road every time? How do you feel about a driver taking exception to something you've done and submitting their footage to the cops? (Happening in the UK now). Brilliant to have if you're in the right, but I hate the thought that you're permanently under surveillance...
As you said, that happens now, and I feel fine with it. Of course no one is perfect. But if I was doing something ridiculously stupid in public, on a motorbike, and it's on video, then that's my responsibility, isn't it?

For the overall improvement in behavior of all road users, I'm willing to put up with the bother of being recorded by anyone's dashcam.

Also, you are already probably aware, we all are, more or less, under "permanent surveillance", in the public domain. There are cameras everywhere, in fact, practically one in every person's hand.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:05 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,217 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

..driving the M50 is a bit like playing Russian roulette. I really admire anyone who is riding that road on a regular basis.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:19 PM
FUMB AS DUCK

Biker.ie Member No. 26031 from Cill Chainnigh
5,043 posts since Apr 2011
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Rizla GSXR
Modifications: Too many

Originally Posted by discoblade
Had an Innovv C3 bullet cam hard wired into my SV 650s. Nice and dscreet under the nose cone, recording unit under the seat.
Wired an inline switch onto the dash, records continuously and overides old files nonstop, I flick it on the switch at the dash while commuting and off when im lit up

Footage
Old 11th October 2017, 09:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,033 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: 2003 Yamaha FZS600 (foxey

There is an accident or two on M50 almost every day. The tailbacks and slow moving traffic is mental. I usually end up filtering the whole length of it every time I go to work - M1 to Dundrum exit, and back in the evening. It's super hard to stay focused when you are continuously filtering like that for 30-40 mins. Wrecks my head and fouls my mood every single time. M50 is the main reason why I am working from home more and more often, luckily employer is cool(ish) with that so far.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:17 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8221 from Walkinstown
366 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: 05 SV650S
Modifications: GSXR Front End, Viper Can

Originally Posted by GONKO

I hit the brakes hard and the front started to wobble. I scrubbed off as much speed as possible before ditching into the center median (so as not to be collected by traffic).
Did you actually come off the bike? In some cases the concrete barrier is right up against the traffic lanes so you got very lucky if you ended up there and didn't get injured yourself!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
morning, spill