Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th October 2017, 10:28 PM
Quantum Mechanic

Biker.ie Member No. 7493 from Mallow
5,782 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: TLR,Z900,CB200,CD200,Pan
Modifications: They sometimes work
Default DRL's=Dangerous running lights

Very nearly rear ended a cage on the mallow killarney road. I have come across this a few times lately, cage with front drl's on and nothing at the back, a line of traffic coming the other way and i just copped it in time. why the fuck don't the back lights come on as well, this was a brand new korean job and a stupid cunt in it with no fuckin idea. This should be stopped before someone dies.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:30 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,815 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl
Default Re: DRL's=Dangerous running lights

yup, seen this a few times as well, bloody dangerous, thick cunts forget to turn on their lights or leave it to some automatic system that should but doesn't work.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:44 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
153 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Suzuki SV650 K5
Modifications: Quite a few

That's progress and, apparently, improved safety for ya.

It beggars belief that a set of lights on the back don't come on as well. What the actual fuck were they thinking.

I've had to alert several driver's that they were driving with nothing lit at the back as their poxy DRLs were doing such a bang up job of showing them the way home.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:51 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,687 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

This......this......is the bain of my poxy life.

Pulled over one foggy morning and genuinely tried to get the head of the RSA on the phone......wasted my f*****ng time.

The 4 wheeled yokes should have the rear lights on all the time, therefore taking the decision out of the fuckin numptys hands.

I can't switch the rear lights off in my V***o........even if I fuckin wanted.

Rant over.

Jaysus I needed that.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:02 PM
Quantum Mechanic
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 7493 from Mallow
5,782 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: TLR,Z900,CB200,CD200,Pan
Modifications: They sometimes work

Originally Posted by cracker boy

I can't switch the rear lights off in my V***o........even if I fuckin wanted.

I have one of them as well, you can turn all drl's off with the dealer software, have a cracked copy for mine
Old 9th October 2017, 08:28 AM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,687 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Originally Posted by the landshark
I have one of them as well, you can turn all drl's off with the dealer software, have a cracked copy for mine
I actually think the Swedes where right and all the 4 wheelers should be like this.

DRL's are on the modern yokes.....no rear lights but the dash lights are on......the numptys don't realise they have no "proper" lights and are pretty much invisible to following traffic in poor conditions.......Arrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

(this bothers me,in case yis can't tell)
Old 9th October 2017, 10:26 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31692 from Athlone
341 posts since Jun 2013
Motorbike: NC23, 29, 35, RS125
Modifications: Speed Holes

Never realised until now about the drls. I thought it was the rear lights on a new black Korean yoke not working. I nearly went into the back of it. Must be something wrong if DRLs are good enough for driving at night. Surely in a world with computer controlled wipers and anti child running down abilities they can put in a sensor to sense nighttime and put on some rear lights.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:56 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
27 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

I've only seen the DRL's not lighting up the rear lights on Korean scrap. On other cages, particularly German made ones, all lights are usually on.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:11 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,370 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

Nope - stopped a guy in a black Landy Discovery recently with the DRLs on and nothing at the rear ..

This is despite the damned thing having auto-lights available but he didn't trust it - and had 'em turned off-off !!

It's an epidemic these days in the pale, a rare night I don't catch at least a few ... IME it's been down to the backlit dashboards on most modern cages ... saw similar (no lights at all) on earlier Honda cages where the dash was backlit and folk used to the concept that "dash lit == lights on"

Have to wonder sometimes!
Old 9th October 2017, 11:13 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25426 from CORK, like, boi.
238 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: r1200r, klr650, tzr125,++
Modifications: pipe,slippers, cappucino

Originally Posted by GONKO
I've only seen the DRL's not lighting up the rear lights on Korean scrap. On other cages, particularly German made ones, all lights are usually on.
At least once a week, down here in Langerland, I come across someone driving (after dark) with no lights at all on.
This is in the city and suburbs, so, yeah, there's street lights so they can see where theyre going, and the rest of us can see them, unless they're between 2 street lights.....
But hold on a sec, if they have no lights on at all, wouldn't the fact that they can't see the dashboard or the speedometer sort of tip them off that they have no lights on?
So no lights on and not copping it because they obviously don't look at the speedo.....isnt that at least careless driving , or driving without due car and attention?

OK, rant over.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,217 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

Originally Posted by GONKO
nah ... I think its most modern cages now. Followed a rental from Cork airport to Kinsale one night - only using DRL's ... no rear lights on ... he had to hold the high beam light with his hand ... eventually stopped in Kinsale and told him his light are off, turns out he was a tourist, not used to the cage and thought the lights where broken. ...
Old 9th October 2017, 01:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
958 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Vintage MX, Bandit 600
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by davelr
Never realised until now about the drls. I thought it was the rear lights on a new black Korean yoke not working. I nearly went into the back of it. Must be something wrong if DRLs are good enough for driving at night. Surely in a world with computer controlled wipers and anti child running down abilities they can put in a sensor to sense nighttime and put on some rear lights.
Lot of them have the auto lights, but people know better and switch them to the off position instead of auto ! Automatically switches between dipped and main beam too. Lot of yokes have tft screens on the dash, so are lit up all the time. I was disappointed on my own yoke that the rears weren't on daytime as well. As previously mentioned, maybe the dealer can adjust it so that the rears come on as drls also. I will be onto mine.
Old 9th October 2017, 01:38 PM
FUMB AS DUCK

Biker.ie Member No. 26031 from Cill Chainnigh
5,043 posts since Apr 2011
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Rizla GSXR
Modifications: Too many

I've seen the squad cages driving around town with DRLs no back light countless times i used to think it was a stealth thing but it's clear now the dopes behind the wheel of the hyunscrap i40 are oblivious to it altogether
Old 11th October 2017, 06:01 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 9615 from Naas
1,136 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: r1150rockster
Modifications: nothing silly

Thank God I'm not alone in this!!! Un....real!!! Even on cop cages the same! Honest to God I think this traffic situation is going worst each day. Plus punthers either drivng like loons on country road (most of them on the phone, like they miss the f..kin Life) or driving 50-60 km/h just because...

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
drldangerous, lights, running