Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 11th October 2017, 01:31 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37685 from Carrigaline
22 posts since Sep 2017
Motorbike: Bicycle, Hayabusa swap.
Default Paying for & Delivering a bike.

Im looking at a roadworthy, fairing, headlightless rs50 on donedeal for the cheap price of 250 euro. I want to see if i can make a small streetfighter build and have it as my first bike so i can get to work and school without having to get the bus / cycle. I looked up AnyVan and got quotes for 130-200 euro.

I just have one problem. Last thing i want to happen is to have a wheel and a frame delivered, and 500 euro missing from my wallet.

Any advice?
Old 11th October 2017, 01:49 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 30476 from Cork
268 posts since Nov 2012
Motorbike: Honda CB500F
Modifications: None
Default Re: Paying for & Delivering a bike.

Spend a good bit more , you are only buying trouble .
Old 11th October 2017, 06:00 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,210 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

Buy a Trek Madone 1.2 you will save a fortune on petrol and insurance and tax and get very fit into the bargain
Old 11th October 2017, 09:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32347
241 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: still dreamin.....
Modifications: 5 day rambler...

If your really set on one I'd say look up north or across the water (say,look at the gum tree adds for Liverpool and the surrounding area and get the ferry across in cage)
Ye won't find anything half roadworthy for that money and you'll be putting at least that into it just to make it safe to drive (as in the tyres will likely be 5/6 years old so fucked,brakes likely fucked,fork seals shot, chain and sprockets probably shagged...theres the purchase price again.)
Just get yersmelf a 50cc auto in decent nick for about 6/700 and be done with it.

(That said I think I seen one in city spares done deal for is a few weeks back...)
Old 11th October 2017, 09:47 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,440 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

Get a 50cc moped for your first bike - it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than the RS50.
Did you checkout how much insurance would be on the RS50? If not, then that is madness - always see how much you'll pay for insurance before you buy!!
Old 11th October 2017, 11:19 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,029 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

To answer the question on your post, the lads at anyvan are legit. I've used them a few times and they'll usually pay for the things up front and you pay upon delivery.

It's easy enough to find someone with a good reputation and will get you sorted.

Now, I would agree with the lads above in saying that it does sound like you'll be going down a rabbit hole.

Buy a cheap working bike to get yourself started, something like a bandit. Forget about buying something cheap and making a fortune by flipping it after a bike wash, that only happens on the TV shows you're watching. Many people with 20 years of experience have advised you otherwise, there must be a reason for it.

Do you have your license yet? Haven you rang a few insurance companies to see if they'll even insure you? Get ahead of the game because chances are that you'll be paying more for insurance than the bike itself.

Cheers,
Rami
Old 11th October 2017, 11:58 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6387 from Dublin 16
1,466 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: '07 TDM 900,'00 Cub90, RGV250 (in a box)
Modifications: 900 has a scottoiler/centre stand/high screen/L.E.

Originally Posted by RTV
To answer the question on your post, the lads at anyvan are legit. I've used them a few times and they'll usually pay for the things up front and you pay upon delivery.

It's easy enough to find someone with a good reputation and will get you sorted.

Now, I would agree with the lads above in saying that it does sound like you'll be going down a rabbit hole.

Buy a cheap working bike to get yourself started, something like a bandit. Forget about buying something cheap and making a fortune by flipping it after a bike wash, that only happens on the TV shows you're watching. Many people with 20 years of experience have advised you otherwise, there must be a reason for it.

Do you have your license yet? Haven you rang a few insurance companies to see if they'll even insure you? Get ahead of the game because chances are that you'll be paying more for insurance than the bike itself.

Cheers,
Rami
That post deserves a thumbs up.
All good advice there Rami, good man.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, delivering, paying