Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 5th August 2018, 11:02 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 31795 from westmeath
12 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: starting preinjection2014
Default Training day mondello

How many more training days are left this year? Is there anywhere i can see the dates.. cheers
Old 6th August 2018, 12:25 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 25912
111 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: zxr 400
Default Re: Training day mondello

Originally Posted by foggyfagan
How many more training days are left this year? Is there anywhere i can see the dates.. cheers

There was one on last Monday. Doubt they will run another this year but ring and express your interest. They could run another if they get the numbers. Have you a full licence?
Old 6th August 2018, 12:31 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

12 posts since Jul 2013

Originally Posted by doyler365
There was one on last Monday. Doubt they will run another this year but ring and express your interest. They could run another if they get the numbers. Have you a full licence?
Il ring them no dont have full licence .. am hoping to get race licence do training day and few track days first
Old 6th August 2018, 10:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6693 from Kildare
376 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: S1000R

They're normally run Feb-June. The one last Monday was an extra date, assume due to interest.
Old 7th August 2018, 12:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,501 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Originally Posted by foggyfagan
Il ring them no dont have full licence .. am hoping to get race licence do training day and few track days first
You're caught in a bit of a quandary now. You should do the training day, trackday, licence assessment day in that order, but the licence assessment day is usually run early in the year, well before the first race in march, and it can be difficult to get a licence unless you have done some trackdays first. Plenty have failed the assessment. You need to show that you know where you should be on track, (i.e. following a consistent line) and also setting a reasonable pace. Both are difficult if you have never been around the track before. There is usually only one assessment day done per year, so timing for you is critical. Keep in touch with Mondello. Dates for next year haven't been discussed yet.
Old 7th August 2018, 04:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,608 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Training day is good but if you have half a brain and engage a bit with the marshals at regular track days you'll be fine I think, just do novice group the first one and like said, ask the marshals and tell them what your plan is
Old 7th August 2018, 05:30 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by kwackquack
Training day is good but if you have half a brain and engage a bit with the marshals at regular track days you'll be fine I think, just do novice group the first one and like said, ask the marshals and tell them what your plan is
Can't do a trackday without a race licence, or a full road licence, or the training day cert. You'll learn some basic stuff on the training day in a calmer atmosphere than a full on trackday. Training day are also an opportunity for the marshals to see that you can actually ride a bike since all you would have is your provisional licence.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:23 AM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

12 posts since Jul 2013

Yea il wait for training day and work me way from there might be safer than going on track day and getting over excited and wrecking the bike ��.. cheers anyway
Old 8th August 2018, 05:59 PM
Supporter

Nothing to be afraid of on a normal trackday either. The throttle works both ways. Most folks on their first few days are afraid of appearing slow, but to be honest, in 14 years of trackdays, I've never ever noticed who was the slowest or who was quickest in any group. Talk to the marshals and ask them to show you round. They will spend all day in a one to one session with you if you want. Just go up to garage one and ask. Any of them will do it. Ask them questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Nothing is as stupid as having them pick you up off the track because you were embarrassed to ask for information. Talk to them, That's why they are there.
Old 8th August 2018, 08:48 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5835 from Cork
31 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: R1

I don't have much interest in doing track days but interested in doing one of the training days, would it help road riding?
Old 8th August 2018, 09:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6693 from Kildare
376 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: S1000R

Originally Posted by CatchMe
I don't have much interest in doing track days but interested in doing one of the training days, would it help road riding?

Yes it will. I did the one last week with no intention of ever doing track days, purely to improve my skills on the bike. Morning session is classroom based then some slow speed stuff in the car park: riding around a cone, figure of 8, slalom and brake testing. Afternoon is out on track, we had one instructor to two riders. This was the most enjoyable part and probably what I got the most from. Instructor gives feedback after each session.

Only problem now isnít Iíve caught the trackday bug
Old 9th August 2018, 09:57 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5835 from Cork
31 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: R1

Originally Posted by DaveD
Yes it will. I did the one last week with no intention of ever doing track days, purely to improve my skills on the bike. Morning session is classroom based then some slow speed stuff in the car park: riding around a cone, figure of 8, slalom and brake testing. Afternoon is out on track, we had one instructor to two riders. This was the most enjoyable part and probably what I got the most from. Instructor gives feedback after each session.

Only problem now isnít Iíve caught the trackday bug
thanks, i'd be up for that

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
day, mondello, training