Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Old 11th September 2017, 11:01 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 6024 from Limerick
115 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: 929 fireblabe and 1977 RD250
Default Vat/VRT advice new bike from uk

I'm buying a new gasgas ec250 in UK, I can't source one here.
My problem is the vrt/ros website says Vat must be paid if bike is new or less than six months old.
No uk dealer will sell excluding VAT, does this mean I'll be caught for vat ink and then again here.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 12th September 2017, 07:22 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23635 from Galway
2,390 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: MT-09 Tracer
Default Re: Vat/VRT advice new bike from uk

You can claim back the UK VAT once you have paid it in Ireland...
VAT should be charged only once but the UK dealers don't know you and won't take a chance.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:41 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 15235
77 posts since Apr 2009
Default Re: Vat/VRT advice new bike from uk

Originally Posted by Bruce
You can claim back the UK VAT once you have paid it in Ireland...
VAT should be charged only once but the UK dealers don't know you and won't take a chance.
You can try and claim the VAT back from the UK. The dealer needs to say its being exported and give you a form check HERE

The issue is that most dealers don't know how to execute this and they are reluctant to do something they don't understand. The other problem you have is that dealer buy in the bikes and register them straight away so they have paid the VAT on the bike so they are even more reluctant to try and reclaim the VAT for you.

You will need to get the dealer to order a brand new bike and not register it or be very clear on when they register it for you.

On the Irish side if the vehicle has less than 6000KMs or is less than a year old you pay the VAT on this side. The VRT is paid on the CC of the bike. You need to do it within 10 days of the vehicle entering the state.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Tags
advice, bike, vat or vrt

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed