Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 17th August 2017, 03:38 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37502 from Balbriggan
16 posts since Jul 2017
Default Slow learner

Currently going through lgbt and its the first new skill i'm learning in over a decade. Seems that I got slow and clumsy after my 20s. Laid her on her side (almost gently, mind you) while practicing slow control and generally felt that the 600cc is out to get me. Didn't feel in control at all and almost called quits, but while on the road in the Belgard general area one of you fine gents gave me a nod. I might have nodded back, at least I know i wanted to- while also shitting my pants.
Anybody around here who has made it after a less than average start?
Old 17th August 2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,129 posts since Dec 2011
Default Re: Slow learner

It's tough coming out in the lgbt community.....but shitting your pants will only discourage lads who may want to ride ya.
Old 17th August 2017, 04:05 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

16 posts since Jul 2017

Makes a decent lube though
I'll grow up to be a biker one day. Might even start a yearly ride down on Great George's St.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:37 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,047 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Low speed riding isn't easy. Even the motorbike riding Gods on here were wobbling around when they started. It can be even more intimidating if you're starting out on a heavy bike. There's a good chance you will drop it a few times while you're learning so crash bars/bungs would probably be a good idea and would give you peace of mind that you're not going to do much damage if you do drop it. Some lessons from a pro might help also. Rubadub on here is a good instructor if you want to do a few lessons. The more seat time you have the more comfortable you will get so stick with it and keep practicing.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,900 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

Originally Posted by Blanka
Low speed riding isn't easy. Even the motorbike riding Gods on here were wobbling around when they started. It can be even more intimidating if you're starting out on a heavy bike. There's a good chance you will drop it a few times while you're learning so crash bars/bungs would probably be a good idea and would give you peace of mind that you're not going to do much damage if you do drop it. Some lessons from a pro might help also. Rubadub on here is a good instructor if you want to do a few lessons. The more seat time you have the more comfortable you will get so stick with it and keep practicing.
This, spot on, also practise is your best friend , go to a deserted carpark and keep trying.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:53 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

16 posts since Jul 2017

Thank you, gentlemen. I do not own a bike, I dropped one of the school's. I wobbled on 125-500-600. The middle one went down, and the big bandit actually feels friendlier than the smaller ones. Right now I think I might buy one and build some skill/confidence in parking lots and on back roads. Gotta say though, scary as it is, nothing felt better. Ever.
Old 17th August 2017, 06:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,259 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

Not long and you'll be.....

Click the image to open in full size.

One day at a time and plenty of practice.....Get the confidence up and its like a duck to water...

Best of luck fella....
Old 17th August 2017, 08:30 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,011 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

We all have good days and bad days, if you were off the two wheels for a while, it might take you a little while to bring the confidence back.

Agreed with the lads above that the low speed is the most difficult, you might need a little bit of open road to clear the head and re-gain the confidence.

Try to relax and enjoy it, it's just a matter of time :)

Cheers,
Rami
Old 17th August 2017, 08:48 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
2,267 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

Take it handy lad,give it a bit of time and you will be grand.
Don't forget the return nod and you will be fine
Rubadub aka Tony in here got me too a level too pass my test so
A few lessons from him will set you right.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:47 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
37 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

I'm a new rider too and I remember shitting myself first time going out. lgbt was a scare feat, but battled through it. I remember then a good few days later going to pick up my first bike and absolutely bricking it, nursing it home. A week or so passed and I felt rusty as fuck and I remember going out for that first ride on my own. I got the bike to the garden gate sitting on it, feeling the clutch, throttle.....just feeling everything and thinking WTF am I doing on this 2 wheel thing that wants to kill me. But....i then thought to myself, I control you, I'm the master of you (the bike) and off I went, scared shitless mind you. Once you get a few journys under ya you will be grand. I still need to practise the slow speed turns properly. But if in doubt in a slow turn, stop the bike and get a foot down. And I mean in doubt, don't wait for the machine to lose you and drop it. I had to do this recently at a round about entrance where some cage being driven by Michael Schumacher himself decided to plough through. So I had to deploy the anchors, deal with some wobbles and foot down. Had I not done this and tried to keep it upright, she would have been dropped.

But it's all learning. Think countersteering if a gentle bend is getting away from you. Sorts the bike right out. And always always ride within your limits. And when you do decide to push on a little, for the sake of all that is holy, do it in baby steps.
Old 18th August 2017, 07:39 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,288 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Originally Posted by Phatty McFatt
while on the road in the Belgard general area one of you fine gents gave me a nod.
Hang in there Phatty. You're way ahead of me already - I never get a nod from the fkrs round here
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:23 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 25437 from cork
926 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: CBF600sa
Modifications: a few

I threw myself in at deep end when I started. At time, had learner permit before I.b.t. Was mandatory so got few lessons and first one was in rain, instructor saying "you sure? we can reschedule". Nope says I - rains in Ireland so good practise. but he reminded me after that all he heard was me laughing in helmet going round carpark at 20km/hr! Some friends found me a bike in Dublin, got her and my first trip on road other than 1 lesson before was driving her down to Cork. Took all back roads and few hiccups (might put that up as a blog someday) and got her home 10+hours later. The first few outings on my own were nerve wrecking but never been happier!
Someone more local may be able to point you in direction of local meets that can get you meeting like minded peeps and help you boost your confidence. :-) in no time you'll be spinning around and glad you put in the practice. Best of luck :-)

Last edited by Captain Louis Renault; 23rd August 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:23 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

16 posts since Jul 2017

Thank you Cap'n and everybody. Looking back it does seem I got too tense and it simply made act silly altogether. On a different note, I am now looking for a Bandit or a similarly sized, user-and-insurance friendly A cat. bike, mechanically sound enough to carry me around until I am ready to commit myself to the test and possibly a new machine. I don't mind turning it in as scrap metal a year from now, just needs to keep going without major work and investment until then. On Dingle deal I saw stuff ranging from 1.3k to 4k. Any recommendations? Mind you I am 6'2" and heavy, albeit not fat
Old 25th August 2017, 03:55 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37600 from Dublin
2 posts since Aug 2017

I think it's completely normal to panic at the start, just like with every new skill. But you will get over it eventually
Old 25th August 2017, 08:30 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6580 from A lay by somewhere.
1,070 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Your father.

Don't feel too bad, I dropped my bike during my driving test. Passed anyway, so I can only assume I was out of sight of the tester...
Old 25th August 2017, 09:15 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
14,620 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzukkkkkkk

Originally Posted by pillphil
Don't feel too bad, I dropped my bike during my driving test. Passed anyway, so I can only assume I was out of sight of the tester...
thats priceless defo assume it was out of sight of the tester
Old 12th September 2017, 08:52 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

16 posts since Jul 2017

Ladies and gents, I listened to the sound of reason and bought a bike that is not as big as my ego. Small Marauder, 125. Bought her this morning from dave5 or dave05 or some other combination of dave and alphanumericals. Ended up doing about 50 miles altogether (through Dublin and then home to Balbriggan). Most of that through heavy rain. She's really a lot of fun and trully forgiving, as I saw myself making the same mistakes as I did on the Bandit but with the small engine the outcome was not as dramatic. I have learned a lot today, I guess.
The seller has been a true gentleman and scholar, I wish his thread was still up so I can highlight it. Anyways, it feels good riding. Even a small cruiser. In the rain.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:18 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37339 from Macroom Area
79 posts since Jun 2017
Motorbike: Aprilia Pegaso
Modifications: stockings and beautysalon

I was the first and only in my driver school who made it to drop all 3 bikes which the teacher had (learned in Germany) The first was a 125 some-I-don't-know-shopper. Dropped her while tried to learn to drive slow - like you did.
The second was a BMW F650. Just tried to park her and the next thing I saw was my cursing teacher, lifting the bike off of me.
The last was a BMW 850. Same procedure, tried to park her and couldn't hold her. My teacher wasn't really impressed....

What I learned: never give up...
I just loved it too much, so I kept driving and shitting my pants for a while. Got better after a while, so keep going.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:44 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
283 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Good man, great idea that 125. One thing that I feel needs to be drilled into people's mind is that their first bike will not be their last.

... and if I can ride anyone can
Old 15th September 2017, 09:36 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

16 posts since Jul 2017

She's really an awesome little bug. After about 120 km on her i went to the pumps to top up for a longer ride. Well, mainly out of curiosity, to see where I was fuel wise. So the stuff I replaced after 120 km cost me 4 euro. I could not believe it. 3 litres burnt for 120 km? My 1.5 VVT SX4 would have drunk that in 50 km. Delighted

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
learner, slow

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed