Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 11th September 2017, 01:27 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 33097
44 posts since Apr 2014
Motorbike: Tard
Modifications: Termi
Default Re: helmet lifespan

The 5 years thing is a load of bollocks imho. So a courier that uses his helmet day in, day out has 5 year lifespan on the materials in his helmet? But a sunday driver that keeps his on the shelf in his wardrobe in the bag and puts up 300km a year has the same lifespan? And if he was unlucky enough to buy a lid from a shop that had it in stock for 2 years because it was a poxy colour and they couldn't sell it only has 3 years? Do me a favour..
If your 800 arai deteriorates that much from sitting on a shelf people really need to be asking arai some serious questions.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,029 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: 2003 Yamaha FZS600 (foxey

If it still fits well, it's good enough.

Down with all the marketing hype.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:53 PM
I Will If I Like.

Biker.ie Member No. 3434 from West Mayo
4,026 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: Shadow 750 ACE

The essential safety feature is the foam inside to decelerate your noggin slowly, avoiding brain, not skull, damage. Or so I've read.
The shell would seem to be relatively unimportant if that's the case.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:57 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,160 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda ST1100 CBS-TCS
Modifications: Some christmas lights

To me it's like this.
If you leave plastic garden furniture outdoors all the time, one day you'll sit on it and it'll break under you.
Why take the chance on the same happening with a helmet?
Had an Arai FV that I kept in its bag, in its box, after I sold the bike. Bought it in 1998. Used regularly until selling then bike in 2001. Used it any time I took something for a test drive. Back in the bag, in its box on top of the wardrobe until I bought next bike in 2005. By then padding on back of the neck had perished and foam lining was starting to come away from the interior. As I say, that was a mid to high end Arai.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:28 PM
I Will If I Like.

Biker.ie Member No. 3434 from West Mayo
4,026 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: Shadow 750 ACE

Originally Posted by Dirtyshirt
To me it's like this.
If you leave plastic garden furniture outdoors all the time, one day you'll sit on it and it'll break under you.
Why take the chance on the same happening with a helmet?
Had an Arai FV that I kept in its bag, in its box, after I sold the bike. Bought it in 1998. Used regularly until selling then bike in 2001. Used it any time I took something for a test drive. Back in the bag, in its box on top of the wardrobe until I bought next bike in 2005. By then padding on back of the neck had perished and foam lining was starting to come away from the interior. As I say, that was a mid to high end Arai.
With obvious degradation like that I would not hesitate to change it.
I'd be fucked if I'd throw good money after bad on an Arai.
They've been placed 10th. in a safety list(2017) of lids behind Shark, nitro , caberg etc.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:53 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,197 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Originally Posted by Gixxer
It reminds me of when I used to be working on cages. Service intervals were 6000 miles across the board. Then one company raised it to 9000 miles, without changing anything about the engine or service parts used. Then suddenly everyone started jumping on the 9000 miles bandwagon, because surely an engine that only needs servicing every 9000 miles must be far superior to one that needs servicing every 6000 miles, right?
I think service intervals are every 12k miles or more now.

It's like shampoo... "Wash rinse and repeat"
It was the shampoo manufacturers who came up with the totally unnecessary 'repeat' bit, to sell more of their product.
Then one company had a great idea. "Let's remove the 'repeat' bit from our bottles and call it wash and go!" So they did, and charged more for it, because it was obviously far superior to the stuff you have to apply twice, right?

It's all marketing wank, perpetuated by gullible consumers.
Fine rant that man

On a (semi) serious note, the comparison between having to change your oil and change your lid is a good one. Too soon and all you're doing is lining the pockets of the retailers and manufacturers, leaving it too long can cost you in other ways. As for how long is too long - I came across this:

“The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.”

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
helmet, lifespan

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed