Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 9th September 2017, 02:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,202 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450
Default Re: Should I wear an L vest?

Wear the vest - whatever about the impact on other road users/hassle from the plod, it'll give you more motivation to get your full license, and a proper sense of achievement once you finally do get it
Old 9th September 2017, 03:29 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36432 from Clare
130 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Yammie XJ750D
Modifications: Motad system ebc brake di

Originally Posted by bandit_eile
Hi all, just passed the lgbt and got myself a bandit. thanks for all the advice and guidance on these forums - this is my first proper post but I am sure there are lots more like me learning loads from the forum even if they say nothing.

I'm interested in views on whether it makes sense to wear an L vest. I know it is the law. And in general, I follow all the safety advice, the law, etc. I plan on keeping myself very safe and in check while on two wheels.

But - there seems to be a school of thought out there that wearing an L vest invites trouble. And my experience of cage drivers while wearing one while with my instructor hasn't been great - although I can't say if any one incident is because of the vest.

Thoughts? Or am I being dumb - it's the law so do it?

I one that wore the hi vis and never stopped feel more visible with it on
Old 9th September 2017, 07:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,570 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS
Modifications: A hand that waves!

Sure nobody sees hiviz vests anyway. Waste of time safety wise IMO. Wear it though and do the test. You'll be grand
Old 9th September 2017, 07:55 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 33777 from Dublin
91 posts since Sep 2014
Motorbike: BMW F800GS Adventure

Wore mine all the time when I was a learner. Never had an issue. Would prefer to have it on than be stopped without it.

Since passing test, sometimes I wear hi-vis and sometimes I don't, but noticed that I seem to have fewer issues of people pulling out in front of me when I have it on.
Old 10th September 2017, 10:47 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2683 from The seventh ring...
2,387 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: FZS 1000, ZXR-R

Originally Posted by pedrosixfour
Passing the l.B.T. doesn't qualify you for a full licence. It merely suggests you are competent enough to take to the road, as a learner on a motorbike, unaccompanied.

You must wear an L vest until you sit (& pass) your full test. Then, if you haven't held a full licence in any other category prior to passing your motorbike test, you are required to wear an N vest for two years. If like me you already have a full driving licence for more than two years then, once you pass your bike test, you are free to ride without the N vest.
Ah right. I thought OP said he passed a test.
Old 10th September 2017, 12:25 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 25437 from cork
921 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: CBF600sa
Modifications: a few

Like others have said wear the L vest, not worth points on your licence. If it helps get a few people to back off from you, great. I wrote mine every time I went out, and even after passing, I wear a Sam brown belt when out on bike (feels weird when I forget!) and if weather is poor, hi-vis vest. Congrats on getting on the road. Practice with your bike (maybe even go out with instructor for a lesson) to get used to her. Best of luck.
Old 10th September 2017, 01:28 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
12 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

I personally found wearing my L other drivers were more aggro towards me. And when filtered to the top of a line of traffic it was like the start of a grand prix. Since not wearing it, I don't experience anything negative, apart from the odd cage trying to block you filtering on the m50 in rush hour. As it is now I'm running the risk of points , but I do feel less danger without the L vest.

I experienced the same in the cage with my cousin learning. In my cage, no probs. In his car with the L plates, total disrespect and lack of regard shown.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:40 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
934 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

While I was guilty of not wearing it as often as I should, I would advise on using it (do what I say, not what I do I guess).

Now, I didn't feel any difference from wearing it to not wearing it... if you're making progress and riding safely, you won't have any issues. On the other hand, if you're a bit scared and doing 40km/h on a 80km/h country road, you will get some angry cagers weather you have the vest or not. If you show the vest and least some will understand instead of thinking that you're being an asshole.

Wear it, don't risk it. Take it handy at your own pace and don't let anyone to put you of your game. If you have a hater on your tail, try to let them pass (if it's safe to do so) and let them move on with their hater life.

Ride safe and enjoy it!

Rami
Old 11th September 2017, 10:23 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37521 from Swords, Co Dublin
33 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: Honda XL600V

I can't comment on riding a bike with an L plate but from hopping from my cage (No L plates) into my girlfriends (With L plates) I notice a change in the behavior of other drivers. I've noticed that they pull out in front of you, don't let you out and go to great lengths to try and overtake for fear of being stuck behind the "Slow learner driver". A brilliant one I notice on motorways is when I am overtaking a cage, they glance in the side mirror, see a 1 litre Arosa with L plates overtaking them and proceed to speed up, they must figure they aren't going fast enough if an L plater car is plowing by.
Old 11th September 2017, 10:53 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,763 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

Originally Posted by Blanka
I have an L vest there I can post to you if dusty rhodes can't find his. The advice I'd give is if you think someone in a [email protected] is up yer arse and being aggressive just pull over and leave them go. It might seem like the wussy thing to do because the natural reaction when you think your life is being threatened is to let the red mist descend but you're on a bike and they're in a two tonne steel box so the consequences are a lot worse for you if something goes wrong so don't react leave them go.

Imo, this is the best advice in this thread, be safe rather than worrying about your image.
Didnt have L vests in my day so cant really comment thru experience but if its the law and you don't follow it then be aware of the consequences such as points etc., also - be it cages or bikes if i see an L plate then i give that driver a little more room and a little more leeway than if i see a twat on the road, id suggest that its safer to have it rather than not have it, ok some cunts might try to get in front of you cos they have no patience or are late for something but i think tthey are the minority rather than the majority, they just are more noticeable due to their wanker behaviour.
Unless you have to, id also suggest staying off the road at peak times as this is the period of most danger when people are rushing, under pressure and stressed out making them more aggressive and dangerous, not saying to only go out when its quiet but just to be aware that , as a learner, there are good times and bad times to be out there.
Good luck anyway and finally remember that all those gods on R1's, gixxers and the like that you see flying around and performing incredible feats all started out wobbling around like the rest of us
Old 11th September 2017, 09:38 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36265 from In my shed
218 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: K3 GSXR1000
Modifications: tax

Wore mine for about 2 weeks , constantly had cages up my hole and cutting me off , started to drive to work with my backpack covering it soon after and was treated completly different :)

Up to you at the end of the day , if stopped its points and a fine so just get the test out of the way ASAP :)
Old 12th September 2017, 09:03 AM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37605
11 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600

Originally Posted by Blanka
I have an L vest there I can post to you if dusty rhodes can't find his.
Hey blanka - could I take you up on that? happy to pay postage etc. I'm on 0 8 6 0 4 2 9 9 4 8

thanks!
Old 12th September 2017, 04:50 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
279 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

It's a given that some people will treat you differently, and that some of that people will not be very nice. Just pure statistics.

But if you don't trust cagers at all then does it really matter that much.?

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
vest, wear

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed