Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 3rd August 2017, 09:09 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,266 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud
Default Re: The future of motorcycles?

Originally Posted by Fred Flinstone
Instant torque, almost no maintenance required.
How are those disadvantages?

I'll admit, I've never been on an electric bike.

Main problems at the moment are batteries and charging times. Those technologies will have drastically improved in 20 years time.

Any advance in technology is met with resistance.
People don't like change.
Originally Posted by chopper
Nooooo.your wrong .the main problem os the lifetime of the batteries and the cost of them . An ice engine could last 40 years easy if looked after . It will always have some resale value . An electric yoke with a dead battery pack is wrote off . Resale value on electric vechicles goes down the tubes as they get on .
Did I not just say the main problem is batteries?

Most people on here are talking like fossil fuels will last forever.
There's also only about 200 years of uranium left for nuclear power at current rates of usage.
Hydrogen requires electrolysis.

Do you have an alternative to electric then?
the way you wrote it did not give the impression you were talking about longevity or price so imo NO .. you did not say the same as i had said ffs .
i gave an opinion on the present problems with battery powered vehicles (i diddnt even fucking slate the pox's of yokes )and somehow in order to have this opinion i should have to come up with a viable alternative to the internal combustion engine? .
are you fucking trying to wind me up
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from meath/Dub
1,860 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager

Scientists Develop a Better Graphene Battery

POWERING The Future
The Spanish company Graphenano has introduced a graphene polymer battery that could allow electric vehicles to have a maximum range of a staggering 800 kilometers (497 miles). The battery can also be charged in just a few minutes.

The company notes that the battery is designed for a number of uses, and could be put in houses, bicycles, drones, and even pacemakers. Dubbed Grabat, the batteries will be manufactured in Yecla, Spain and will have an energy density of 1,000 Wh/kg (for comparison, lithium batteries generally have a energy density of 180 Wh/kg). Grabat will also have a voltage of 2.3 V.

If that’s not enough, the battery could discharge and charge faster than a standard lithium ion battery (almost 33 times that of lithium). It also does not exhibit memory effect, a phenomenon in which charging a battery multiple times lowers its maximum energy potential.

Best of all, independent analyses by TÜV and Dekra have demonstrated that the batteries are safe and are not prone to explosions like lithium batteries, and tests conducted by the company have shown that, after being short-circuited, the battery is able to return to work with 60% of the load.

The company expects to have prototypes as early as mid-2016, with commercial batteries being produced by the end of the year.

Last edited by nednedned; 3rd August 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:22 PM
spanner spinner

Originally Posted by nednedned
Scientists Develop a Better Graphene Battery

POWERING The Future
The Spanish company Graphenano has introduced a graphene polymer battery that could allow electric vehicles to have a maximum range of a staggering 800 kilometers (497 miles). The battery can also be charged in just a few minutes.

The company notes that the battery is designed for a number of uses, and could be put in houses, bicycles, drones, and even pacemakers. Dubbed Grabat, the batteries will be manufactured in Yecla, Spain and will have an energy density of 1,000 Wh/kg (for comparison, lithium batteries generally have a energy density of 180 Wh/kg). Grabat will also have a voltage of 2.3 V.

If that’s not enough, the battery could discharge and charge faster than a standard lithium ion battery (almost 33 times that of lithium). It also does not exhibit memory effect, a phenomenon in which charging a battery multiple times lowers its maximum energy potential.

Best of all, independent analyses by TÜV and Dekra have demonstrated that the batteries are safe and are not prone to explosions like lithium batteries, and tests conducted by the company have shown that, after being short-circuited, the battery is able to return to work with 60% of the load.
what will they cost to produce, whats the typical life span of them ?, whats the overall environment impact , ie from harvesting materials to produce all the way to disposal .
i suppose in reality the main decider here is going to boil down to the total environmental impact and the cost per mile and longevity of these batteries .
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:28 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,141 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
Surprised its taken so long, would have to be a tech company with no ties to oil companies to really kick it on by themselves.
It's actually oil companies that are driving development of EV tech.They know the writing is on the wall so they're looking for the next big thing.
Shell sponsor a big electric race in the us every year.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from meath/Dub
1,860 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager

It will happen. Cause the price of go juice will sky rocket
as more electric hits the roads.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:46 AM
child prodigy

Biker.ie Member No. 2469 from Ballycraic
11,021 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: 865 Tractor
Modifications: 8-ball choke knob

I'm going to piss-off a lot of new energy pioneers and built a chrome custom lowrider using a portable lecky genny to recharge the batteries
Old 4th August 2017, 03:58 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
941 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Vintage MX, Bandit 600
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by Vjmc.Cork
It's actually oil companies that are driving development of EV tech.They know the writing is on the wall so they're looking for the next big thing.
Shell sponsor a big electric race in the us every year.
That's not how I've read it. The major player is a 10yr old start up company whos done nothing but shake up solar, space and EV. In the same 10yr period, not much has come from ALL those big cage and oil players with hundreds of billions to play with. Imagine what VW could have achieved with all the money it spent on fines from diesel gate ?
I don't believe for a single second that a big oil company or country would willingly help its own demise, they've done nothing but buy up, stifle and sit on new tech. Neanderthal behavior and we know'ish what happened them.
Its in the cage companies best interest to develop as people will still want their personal conveyance.
Old 4th August 2017, 08:14 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36518
134 posts since Aug 2016

the way you wrote it did not give the impression you were talking about longevity or price so imo NO .. you did not say the same as i had said ffs .
i gave an opinion on the present problems with battery powered vehicles (i diddnt even fucking slate the pox's of yokes )and somehow in order to have this opinion i should have to come up with a viable alternative to the internal combustion engine? .
are you fucking trying to wind me up
Batteries and chargers are two distinct objects. Are your cataracts clouding up on you?
Old 4th August 2017, 08:37 AM
Come on, lick my battery

Biker.ie Member No. 2361 from Cobh
3,782 posts since Oct 2005
Motorbike: Vmax, XS750, MT
Modifications: Lots

Batteries and chargers are two distinct objects. Are your cataracts clouding up on you?
Not any more, batteries now come with built-in management systems to control their own charging - not distinct objects anymore (unless you're playing with an AA)
Old 5th August 2017, 11:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 19332 from Dublin
980 posts since Nov 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM SMT 990,BMWs
Modifications: Akra cans, remap,

Electric is coming, no doubts and the technology is getting better and better by the day. Ive sailed on Diesel Electric ships with technology that will slowly move down to the automobile sector in time, the motors are so efficient and so responsive.
Dieselgate was a massive mess up, one that hasnt even shown its full head yet, Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Honda electric have technology up their sleeves that will leave the europeans speechless!
Old 7th August 2017, 05:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,283 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

Originally Posted by hornethead
Electric is coming, no doubts and the technology is getting better and better by the day. Ive sailed on Diesel Electric ships with technology that will slowly move down to the automobile sector in time, the motors are so efficient and so responsive.
Dieselgate was a massive mess up, one that hasnt even shown its full head yet, Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Honda electric have technology up their sleeves that will leave the europeans speechless!
My dad was saying he saw a thing about electric planes on tv. Two seater with battery pack the size of a briefcase, range of 90miles. Planes would be the last thing I'd think of being all electric, but there is the weight saving of no fuel, and probably less weight for the electric motor vs standard engine
Old 7th August 2017, 06:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31694 from Galway
2,010 posts since Jun 2013
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Triumph Tiger

Originally Posted by renniks
My dad was saying he saw a thing about electric planes on tv. Two seater with battery pack the size of a briefcase, range of 90miles. Planes would be the last thing I'd think of being all electric, but there is the weight saving of no fuel, and probably less weight for the electric motor vs standard engine
If it was the same documentary I was watching the batteries in the plane had a rather nasty habit a doing a Samsung and bursting into flames. They solved it by putting waterjackets around m....to quench the flames!! Not exactly confidence inspiring
Old 7th August 2017, 08:35 PM
Supporter

980 posts since Nov 2009

Originally Posted by hooch
If it was the same documentary I was watching the batteries in the plane had a rather nasty habit a doing a Samsung and bursting into flames. They solved it by putting waterjackets around m....to quench the flames!! Not exactly confidence inspiring
Sure the new Boeing dreamliner have that as standard now after the initial ones caught fire, safe out now.
Remember you walk around with a lithium ion battery either in your pocket or up to your face all day and all is good.
Once the japs come out with their technology we will be commenting on the thread in a few years saying we just did 400km and didnt have to pull over once for juice!
Old 7th August 2017, 09:40 PM
spanner spinner

Originally Posted by hornethead
Sure the new Boeing dreamliner have that as standard now after the initial ones caught fire, safe out now.
Remember you walk around with a lithium ion battery either in your pocket or up to your face all day and all is good.
Once the japs come out with their technology we will be commenting on the thread in a few years saying we just did 400km and didnt have to pull over once for juice!
In a few years equates to after im dead.even then ill have shown the grandkids how to make juice outta spuds to keep the fjs burning through the night .the nightrider will live again
Old 7th August 2017, 10:25 PM
Supporter

980 posts since Nov 2009

In a few years equates to after im dead.even then ill have shown the grandkids how to make juice outta spuds to keep the fjs burning through the night .the nightrider will live again
Well see the upside is lads like yourself Chopper will be able to charge a fortune to all the lads with 'rare' motorbikes to fix them will everyone else runs around on batteries.
Its happening with Steam engines now, all the old boys well retired are being asked to fix stuff and charging whatever they want and its being paid, a mechanic that can tune a carburettor will be worth a fortune in a few years.
Old 7th August 2017, 10:26 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2029 from Donegal
14,965 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: TLR, FJ, XS650, TZR125
Modifications: Hatchet Holster

the nightrider will live again
Remember him when you look to the night sky
Old 10th September 2017, 01:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,203 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

"So how'm I going to do this..?"

For everybody who's ever wondered how best to break the 'new bike' news ..
watch and learn :)
Old 10th September 2017, 02:05 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
172 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by padraic2271
I'm no fan of electric bikes, mainly due to the lack of noise, but that is just what we are used to. Already electric bikes have great performance, just look at the lap times of the TT zero machines, by 2040 they should have figured out how to make lighter batteries and faster charging options. A teenager growing up in 2040 will look back at the ICE like we look back on steam engines - old, inefficient technology
Old solutions for new problems.
We will just have to go back to using the playing card and a clothes peg hopping of the rear spokes just like we did when we were kids
Old 10th September 2017, 05:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 12050 from sixmilebridge co clare
6,730 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: fireblade
Modifications: a moxy loads of stickers

Electric motor is better than the ice in almost every way(much as nearly everybody in this thread loves the ice including myself)
We just have the minor problem of batteries and how we produces the electricity to charge them.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:11 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,141 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
future, motorcycles

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed