Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 9th August 2017, 02:29 PM
sconzer44 sconzer44 is offline
Novice Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7191
43 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: Honda
Modifications: None
Default Luas track O'Connell St

I almost came off scooter turning left at top of O'Connell St onto Parnell St. Scooter momentarily caught in Luad tracks. Just to let people know its something to watch out for.

Sconzer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th August 2017, 03:02 PM
nednedned's Avatar
nednedned nednedned is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from meath/Dub
1,876 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

hope they didn't look for ticket money.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th August 2017, 05:51 PM
hornethead's Avatar
hornethead hornethead is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 19332 from Dublin
985 posts since Nov 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM SMT 990,BMWs
Modifications: Akra cans, remap,
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Report it to the luas works, this is going to be an constant issue and if its reported enough they will do something about it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th August 2017, 06:03 PM
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Biker.ie Member No. 6566 from Me Gaff
12,108 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

yea gotta be careful had a slip or 2 on them meself when its raining
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th August 2017, 10:07 PM
FuzzyWuzzyWazza FuzzyWuzzyWazza is offline
ISB Contender
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5294 from Dublin
257 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Honda Deauville
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

yeah they are absolutely lethal in the wet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th August 2017, 10:20 PM
Frisco's Avatar
Frisco Frisco is offline
............
 
Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,508 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by hornethead
Report it to the luas works, this is going to be an constant issue and if its reported enough they will do something about it
Do what about it? The tracks are lethal but they can't make them grippy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10th August 2017, 12:59 AM
efanton efanton is offline
Clubman
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
185 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by Frisco
Do what about it? The tracks are lethal but they can't make them grippy
the danger is crossing the tracks at an angle, if you can go directly across them (perpendicular) then there is not much risk at all, unless you happen to be be breaking. THEY CAN do something about this, either by routing the rails so that no traffic need to cross at an angle, or by widening the road and marking it with lanes that are designed to be safer for motorcycles and bicycles. Its not rocket science but there is a cost, a cost of course that the contractors and government will avoid if they are let get away with.
The RSA are constantly on bikers backs about us being safer riders, how about them enforcing proper road and tramway design as well?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10th August 2017, 08:36 AM
Japcati's Avatar
Japcati Japcati is offline
Biker.ie old-skool
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35355
5,128 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by sconzer44
I almost came off scooter turning left at top of O'Connell St onto Parnell St. Scooter momentarily caught in Luad tracks. Just to let people know its something to watch out for.

Sconzer
They put up warning signs for the lycra brigade so thats that sorted.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th August 2017, 08:53 AM
renniks's Avatar
renniks renniks is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,338 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by efanton
THEY CAN do something about this, either by routing the rails so that no traffic need to cross at an angle, or by widening the road and marking it with lanes that are designed to be safer for motorcycles and bicycles.
fat chance of that happening at this stage

easier for two wheelers to recognise that the lines are there, and drive accordingly
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10th August 2017, 09:00 AM
T_Bone T_Bone is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37419 from Wicklow
33 posts since Jun 2017
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Tram tracks are lethal for bikes and motorbikes.
I was holidaying in France about 30 years ago on a Kawasaki 440 LTD and got stuck in tram tracks in Bordeaux that were running with the road (not perpendicular). Once the front wheel got stuck it just wasn't comin out again
no matter what I did.
Myself and the GF were soon sliding down the road alongside the tracks with traffic beside us at about 40mph.
Extreme caution required around tram tracks. I'll never forget that painful lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10th August 2017, 09:43 AM
The comb over kid's Avatar
The comb over kid The comb over kid is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
1,885 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by sconzer44
I almost came off all over my scooter turning left at top of O'Connell St onto Parnell St. Scooter momentarily caught in Luad cracks. Just to let people know its something to watch out for.

Sconzer
Cheers for the heads up
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10th August 2017, 10:35 PM
Frisco's Avatar
Frisco Frisco is offline
............
 
Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,508 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6
Default Re: Luas track O'Connell St

Originally Posted by efanton
the danger is crossing the tracks at an angle, if you can go directly across them (perpendicular) then there is not much risk at all, unless you happen to be be breaking. THEY CAN do something about this, either by routing the rails so that no traffic need to cross at an angle, or by widening the road and marking it with lanes that are designed to be safer for motorcycles and bicycles. Its not rocket science but there is a cost, a cost of course that the contractors and government will avoid if they are let get away with.
The RSA are constantly on bikers backs about us being safer riders, how about them enforcing proper road and tramway design as well?
It would be impossible for them to lay the tracks so that every bike going in every direction at every junction crosses the tracks at 90 degrees. There will always be tight points where they can't make roads wider too. The tracks to be fair are well laid out and it's obvious where they are so just be aware and ride accordingly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
luas, oconnell, track



Support Biker.ie


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed