Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Join Us! Mobile Version Racing Section Mark Forums Read Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 11th August 2017, 11:24 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26395 from limerick
1,042 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CBF 600 :)
Modifications: Carbon Stubby,lobotomy :P
Default Re: Motorbikes vs public vs conscience...

Originally Posted by Mr Snapped Banjo String
If you have to explain it... they wouldnt understand...
Forget what other people think about you and youll never be happier... you like bikes... how did you get started in them... some one older probably took you for a spin on theres... thats how kids learn... are they dangerous... probably.. getting more dangerous by idiots on phones not paying attention.... do you do wheelies with your son on the bike...?? No i guessed not... cause i know when i had my son on my bikes i took alot more care than when im driving on my own... i was alot more conscious of having a younger pillion.... but to a person who doesnt love bikes... they will just never understand the concept...
Never mind what people say or think about you and youll sleep just grand at night.... you know your going to do everything in your power to keep your kids safe.... except wrap them in bubble wrap... theyve got to have a life and experiences... motorcycling to some who loves it is the best feeling in the world..... ride on... bring your kid pillion... and fuck the begrudgers and nay sayers.....
That's the spirit
Old 11th August 2017, 11:28 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 35671
942 posts since Jan 2016
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Ducati Diavel

Originally Posted by The Windy City Rumbler
That's the spirit
Well that's my answer there in a nutshell
Old 11th August 2017, 11:50 PM
Supporter

942 posts since Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Mr Snapped Banjo String
If you have to explain it... they wouldnt understand...
Forget what other people think about you and youll never be happier... you like bikes... how did you get started in them... some one older probably took you for a spin on theres... thats how kids learn... are they dangerous... probably.. getting more dangerous by idiots on phones not paying attention.... do you do wheelies with your son on the bike...?? No i guessed not... cause i know when i had my son on my bikes i took alot more care than when im driving on my own... i was alot more conscious of having a younger pillion.... but to a person who doesnt love bikes... they will just never understand the concept...
Never mind what people say or think about you and youll sleep just grand at night.... you know your going to do everything in your power to keep your kids safe.... except wrap them in bubble wrap... theyve got to have a life and experiences... motorcycling to some who loves it is the best feeling in the world..... ride on... bring your kid pillion... and fuck the begrudgers and nay sayers.....
Thanks , great answer and a great and well thought reply . Full stop and an end of topic answer, genuinely thanks .
Old 12th August 2017, 12:08 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37411 from Dublin
57 posts since Jun 2017
Motorbike: Aprilia Tuono 1000
Modifications: Bazzaz

I keep my bike in company's car park. Not using it much (don't have time) so when I got chance I was going for spin on a lunch break... After 3rd time I've received email from general manager to stop using my bike while at work and while in company's uniform... Few days later I spoke to him about something else and he returned to my bike, started talking something about how motorbikes are dangerous etc...

It won't stop me from anything... But some people just doesn't understand...
Old 12th August 2017, 12:27 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32015
410 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbr 600f

Originally Posted by Zwer
I keep my bike in company's car park. Not using it much (don't have time) so when I got chance I was going for spin on a lunch break... After 3rd time I've received email from general manager to stop using my bike while at work and while in company's uniform... Few days later I spoke to him about something else and he returned to my bike, started talking something about how motorbikes are dangerous etc...

It won't stop me from anything... But some people just doesn't understand...
Ask him if it's okay to use your car, bus, push bike, etc.
What a joke
Old 12th August 2017, 01:51 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37411 from Dublin
57 posts since Jun 2017
Motorbike: Aprilia Tuono 1000
Modifications: Bazzaz

Originally Posted by Chickenhawk
Ask him if it's okay to use your car, bus, push bike, etc.
What a joke
Ah... I have company's car 24/7 so he doesn't get why I have to use my bike if I have a car... Also he is the one who can tell me to stop keeping that bike there so I have to be quiet...
Old 12th August 2017, 08:25 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,689 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

Lots of good replies on here in fairness, yes i agree, fuck the begrudgers, kids these days cant even play in the mud ffs.
I had my kids up on the back of the bike from an early age, never a bother tg, the eldest lad has his own bikes now so it must have rubbed off, i did get a few comments from people but not that many tbh, other kids at school were jealous tho!, and school headmaster purposely came out to talk to me one day while i was waiting for the young lad, wanted to know all about the bike and how he really liked it, cool dude, just coming up to retirement too.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:56 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21260 from Co. Wicklow
1,287 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: er-6n
Modifications: a few on the way

There's a very bad anti motorbike attitude in this country from the general public. Lot of people see them as dangerous then see no issue with texting or using smart phone while driving.
Best one lately is the rise in cyclists flying around the roads. Few mates are into it and over the year's they've said they'd never get a motorbike as they're too dangerous yet are happy enough to go pedalling around the mountains on a sunday morning. Lyrca vs leather at 60kph, I know which id be choosing.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:34 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
1,801 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Originally Posted by Paranoid android
A tricky topic, i and i assume most on here love bikes and that's why we have this forum . lately we have had some terrible news involving fellow bikers on the roads and i see and have been asked at work etc , why i have a motorbike and worse why do i bring my kids on bikes .just curious is this a valid question from Joe public ? Am i wrong ...etc bikes dangerous etc
You in an ad agency? taking a survey like
Old 12th August 2017, 10:09 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,025 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: 2003 Yamaha FZS600 (foxey

Originally Posted by Redgate
Lyrca vs leather at 60kph, I know which id be choosing.
I do both and the only time I got up to 60kph on a pedal bike was coming down Mamore Gap - 15% gradient. It was proper scary but 99.99% of the time I am doing under 25kmph on the pedal power. I agree with what you are saying, but that statement is very "post-fact", "fake news"
Old 12th August 2017, 10:13 AM
Supporter

942 posts since Jan 2016

Originally Posted by The comb over kid
You in an ad agency? taking a survey like
Old 12th August 2017, 10:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21260 from Co. Wicklow
1,287 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: er-6n
Modifications: a few on the way

Originally Posted by positron
I do both and the only time I got up to 60kph on a pedal bike was coming down Mamore Gap - 15% gradient. It was proper scary but 99.99% of the time I am doing under 25kmph on the pedal power. I agree with what you are saying, but that statement is very "post-fact", "fake news"
Plenty of lads clocking 60 around here, had one overtake me in the work cage only 20 mins ago
Old 12th August 2017, 11:50 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
711 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Same as this. I've never been asked why. The only comments I ever get are "I wish the missus would let me have one"

Would you not oblige
Old 12th August 2017, 12:18 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
9 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

Most of the public view bikers as maniacs, driving fast, splitting lanes and don't understand why we drive the way we do. For example someone asked me why bikes plough off away from traffic lights. Simple answer, I don't want to be caught up in the traffic light grand prix with the guy texting in the land rover, and the stupid bitch in her Audi doing her make up. Id rather be far away from them.

I find stuff like this , the general public don't think of. I know I didn't prior to getting a bike. I find some motorcycling techniques could be percieved as aggressive (as above) and as such how you would ride a bike vs driving a cage are worlds apart. And this is what the general public don't get. Therefore, they try imagine how they could drive a cage in a similar way to a bike, they obviously can't and therefore reckon we all must be mad.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:49 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
1,801 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Originally Posted by faz1 View Post
Would you not oblige
Hes not usually backward about coming forward, alright
Old 12th August 2017, 10:42 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35672
258 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Gsxr 600 K7

Originally Posted by Paranoid android View Post
Was only asking members here , how do they deal with the negative public view of motorbikes , nothing else , that's all .. only a question
What negative opinion? I don't care what others think tbh

However I am gona get shit for this but I do have a problem with people brining kids on bikes.i won't carry a pillion let alone a child. Yes they are dangerous to fuck, all you have to do is drive it to realise that, car drivers are clowns.

Would never say it, how other people ride their bikes is their problem but I think bringing kids on them is fucking retarded
Old 12th August 2017, 10:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 19332 from Dublin
960 posts since Nov 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM SMT 990,BMWs
Modifications: Akra cans, remap,

Originally Posted by Paranoid android View Post
Excellent and good to hear , going in the morning to Donegal with my 10 year old , anything I should know to make journey better for him and more enjoyable?
Christ, how cool would this be when your a kid, going back to school after the hols, teacher asking what you did for the hols 'oh I went up to Donegal on the back on my Dads Ducati Diavel'!!
Old 12th August 2017, 11:09 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
11,090 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by hornethead View Post
Christ, how cool would this be when your a kid, going back to school after the hols, teacher asking what you did for the hols 'oh I went up to Donegal on the back on my Dads Ducati Diavel'!!
I'm all for kids telling the truth, but maybe he should change the story a bit and say he was on something a bit less... Ducati.
Maybe say he was on a Harley, or something else with a bit more street cred than a Ducati.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:15 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,158 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Fucsake me daughters have more balls than half the twats on this thread .
Old 13th August 2017, 12:15 AM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
441 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750
Modifications: none yet

my missus was always asking me "wtf would you ride a bike you have 2 kids at home and what if you crashed would you just not get a second cage" my answer was always sure i could get hit by a bus crossing the road. So when things became financially difficult the bike had to go. She was only too happy to see the back of it. So bikeless for a few years tormenting myself looking at bikes on done deal.

A few months back i floated the idea of getting a bike for going back to school and again it was ah don't. But when i broke down the cost of running the bike vs a second cage she had no way to argue.

So long story short yesterday i went out for a spin came back with the biggest smile on my face and she said i won't ever understand why you drive that yoke but it's good to see the smile on your face.

So i suppose my point is some people will never understand why you ride a bike but once you do that's all that matters

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
conscience, motorbikes, public

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed