Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 3rd August 2017, 08:34 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 21453
18 posts since Apr 2010
Default Hornet 600

Hi lads, just got my hornet back from my mechanic. The engine oil and filter has been changed, spark plugs were changed along with engine coolant, brake fluid was topped up. Theres still a few bits needed:
Steering head bearings need changing
Chain and sprockets need changing
Two front brake discs need changing
Theres also a problem with the bolts that go into the pipes he said they're corroded and could be a few hours to fix. He doesnt have time to do it so I said id throw it up here and see if someone would be interested in buying it/be able to do the job and give me a rough price. Few pics of the bike and the bolts in the pipes are below.
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:40 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

18 posts since Apr 2010
Default Re: Hornet 600

Having trouble posting the pics will put them up as soon as I can
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 24311
1,912 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: 07 R1
Modifications: warp speed button

Why would he turn down work ?
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:01 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

He only has a couple of hours a week so i said id just take it back for now nd decide what i wanna do with it
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:06 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 25437 from cork
925 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: CBF600sa
Modifications: a few

That's strange but guess he does it part time.
Where abouts you based?

Last edited by Captain Louis Renault; 3rd August 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:11 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
1,629 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Originally Posted by Antwo
Hi lads, just got my hornet back from my mechanic. The engine oil and filter has been changed, spark plugs were changed along with engine coolant, brake fluid was topped up. Theres still a few bits needed:
Steering head bearings need changing
Chain and sprockets need changing
Two front brake discs need changing
Theres also a problem with the bolts that go into the pipes he said they're corroded and could be a few hours to fix. He doesnt have time to do it so I said id throw it up here and see if someone would be interested in buying it/be able to do the job and give me a rough price. Few pics of the bike and the bolts in the pipes are below.
I might be interested in buying it if the price is right and it's not beyond economical repair,I assume when you say corroded bolts you're referring to the exhaust? Are the pipes leaking? Interested anywsy
Old 4th August 2017, 12:35 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25594 from Kildare
489 posts since Mar 2011

Originally Posted by r1 sean
Why would he turn down work ?
Because it "could" be a pile of shite and the hours to sort out corroded studs would just not be viable.!!
Old 4th August 2017, 06:35 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

Yeah he does only do it part time he already has another job. Its the exhaust and theres nothing leaking. Im in Arklow in Wicklow. I still could end up getting it fixed but maybe it would just be easier to sell. Anyone welcome to come view it.
Old 4th August 2017, 07:45 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
1,629 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

What price have you in mind
Old 4th August 2017, 10:11 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

Im honestly not too sure its my first bike and im absolutely clueless about mechanics. Wouldnt know what price to put on it before the work is carried out . . .
Old 4th August 2017, 10:17 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
18,735 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by doohanno1
Because it "could" be a pile of shite and the hours to sort out corroded studs would just not be viable.!!
Old 4th August 2017, 11:28 AM
< < Team Red

Biker.ie Member No. 4265 from Dublin
17,473 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 749s 1098s 848evo 1199s

Originally Posted by Antwo
Yeah he does only do it part time he already has another job. Its the exhaust and theres nothing leaking. Im in Arklow in Wicklow. I still could end up getting it fixed but maybe it would just be easier to sell. Anyone welcome to come view it.

would you not give bray honda a call ? Close to you.....

Source the discs yourself on ebay or a reputable breakers and go from there.

tell whomever you give it to, you aint in a hurry to collect. Ive seen competetnt mechanics get bolts out handy enough. Steering bearings are easy enough too. The only time thing is the bolts in the exhaust headers ( assuming thats what you mean ).

Unless your getting out of biking and the bike is in a heap, sell it, but if its ok, keep it....if you sell it throw pics and details up, dont give it away.

all these prices are appx, dont give up hope. I could be miles off but i dont reckon too much ?

C&S: 200.00 appx if not cheaper
Discs: 100.00 ( used on ebay ? )
Steering bearings: 25.00 appx new
bolts & exhaust gaskets: 50.00 new appx
labour: 250.00 appx - time consuming possibly....how long is a piece of string....
Old 4th August 2017, 12:00 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,807 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

Firstly imo, get someone locally to have a good look at it, i mean an experienced biker not a shop that would have a vested interest in any work, most bikers who have been knocking about for a while could tell you if its worth doing or not, also they could give an idea of what its worth, dont just give it away, same biker will also be better able to judge how long more each item has left or if it needs to be seen to straight away, most lads will do this for free, maybe a coffee and biccie, maybe someone on here will oblige. Try to get someone who is a bit older and wiser rather than someone who is full of wind.
Most of what you are talking about is an easy fix bolt on bolt off job, get a manual and do some of it yourself at least, chains and sprockets are consumables that need doing now and again, ditto brake discs and head bearings. All common service items, corroded bolts can be a cunt but unless your pipes need changing just leave them alone and spray GT85 or similar on them regularly, do it when the bike is cold and eventually it will make it a lot easier to remove the bolts when necessary, it will smoke a bit when the engine is running and the oil gets burnt off, dont be alarmed by this.
Doesnt sound as if its necessary to sell it, remember your next bike might have the same issues in a short time. Better to fix what you have so you at least know that much is good for the next long while, frinstance brake discs should last a long time, ditto head bearings, c&s also if lubed properly.
Consider doing discs and c&s yourself, lots of how to videos out there, get a haynes manual as well and some basic tools, gotta start somewhere.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:09 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

Cheers for the advice lads. He said that to me about putting the spray on it after it cools down. Id have no problem holding onto it and paying to get it fixed would just rather have an idea on price. Ill see if i can get someone to give me a rough idea on price and if not i may try a shop.
Old 4th August 2017, 08:49 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27876
108 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: K1200S H1 500 R1100S FLHR
Modifications: Expansion pipes

Where abouts are you? I have been biking for ...... ahem ........ 44 years and if you are close by I can have look at it for you and give you and idea of what is worth doing
Old 4th August 2017, 09:24 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

Hey im in arklow in south wicklow, could drive it to you either if your not too far away would be great!
Old 12th August 2017, 11:07 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27876
108 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: K1200S H1 500 R1100S FLHR
Modifications: Expansion pipes

Hiya, I am away the mo. Back at the end of the month
Old 17th August 2017, 01:26 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

If i still have it/ havent got it fixed and u could have a look would be great. Fonna try do the discs and chain myself, anyone know wher i could get the front break discs for a 02. Doesnt seem to be much on ebay.
Old 24th August 2017, 11:44 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37592 from Wicklow/Clare
4 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: Cbf600s and Gsx600f

Hi Antwo, im new to the site (so hi to all!) but on bikes with years. Google Paddy Costello in kilbeggan. Ive had bits off him several times, huge selection of parts and good value, he will ship parts direct to you.
I split my time between wicklow town and county clare, would be happy to have a look and offer my 2 cents if its any help. I do most of my own car and bike work myself. Will be about next sunday and monday possibly if we can arrange something. Feel free to P.M. your details me if you want.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:32 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

18 posts since Apr 2010

Hi and welcome! Only seeing this now sorry. Cheers for reply I'll Google him and see what he has. Bought a chain and sprocket to do myself but apparently you need a specific tool to do it. What time Sunday would u be around?? I can't see where to message directly on this site

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
600, hornet

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed