Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wheres biking going ? (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=171548)

Fatboyslim 18th March 2012 09:52 AM

Wheres biking going ?

Just chattin one of the lads last night about where bikin is goin at the moment. Sports bikes v adenture v tourer/sports tourer.
The roads are busy with bikes but the trend seems to be definitely goin in the direction of adventure and tourer bikes.
The young lads 17 - 21 age group are buyin cages cos the bike insurance is killin them and then they have the cage for chaufferin the bird around.
Any of the boys on sports bikes that i meet are the same age as myself...the wrong side of 40.
I know the sales of GS's are massive along with all the other adventure bikes.
I talked to racer Michael Rutter two years ago at the NW200 and he said that if he was only to have one bike it would be a tourer /adventure bike.
I wonder in 5 to 10 years what its goin to be like..Are sports bikes goin to be track day blasts or will they make a comeback...:bikerie::bikerie:

jimgoose 18th March 2012 09:55 AM

Re: Wheres biking going ?

Well I can't see how the cage insurance isn't killing them even worse. Young wan around the corner got quoted €3,800 for some little one-litre shitbox lately, and I imagine it'd be worse for a youngfella.

Mate of mine changed a stunning 2010 Triumph Bonneville for some sort of BMW Super-Adventure thing lately. Those things, along with supermotos, are getting HUGELY popular. I'm the wrong end of 40 too, and I love sportsbikes. Must be some class of a generation thing alright! :lbhbh:

Interceptor 18th March 2012 10:06 AM

It would be interesting to see how many new licenses were issued for bikes each year. I don't know anyone who has started biking in the last year, all of my non-biking mates consider them dangerous and uncomfortable.

If I had to have just one bike it would be a big trailie. I must buy a GS and see what all the fuss is about. Or a KTM990Adv.... Yum

'cptr

Trotter Independent Trading 18th March 2012 10:17 AM

Have to say iv got the cbr at the moment but I'm getting very tempted by some of the supermotos out there. I think one of them is next :woots:

07yzfr1 18th March 2012 10:18 AM

[quote=jimgoose;2651132]Well I can't see how the cage insurance isn't killing them even worse. Young wan around the corner got quoted €3,800 for some little one-litre shitbox lately, and I imagine it'd be worse for a youngfella.[/quote]

The courts passed a law lately saying its sexist to give women cheaper insurance, so instead of averaging out the quotes, the hungry cunts just put womens insurance up to the same as mens.

with the cost of go go juice going up and up and sportsbikes being thirsty creatures and the fact that your licene could be lost in 1 afternoon on one of them doesn't help either.

no to mention supermotos are easy to stunt and easier to insure for a young fella(for now)

Blagadán 18th March 2012 10:25 AM

Aside from the whole adventure image thing that the wanna be bikers are looking for thanks to boorman and Mcgregor, and all the accessorising this hobby offers... there really are a lot of merits to riding a big ol trailie even for arsing the backroads in ireland... Especially if you are on the other side of 40. :ninja:

I haveta say, since I picked up the "93 Africa twin last year, the other bikes in the shed hardly get a look in. :bag:

The trailie just works better on the bad irish roads.

the toenail cutter 18th March 2012 10:26 AM

[quote=Trotter Independent Trading;2651141]Have to say iv got the cbr at the moment but I'm getting very tempted by some of the supermotos out there. I think one of them is next :woots:[/quote]

if your used to the speed of a 600rr you will kill a super moto in a month the engins are gutless an africa twin engin would have longer legs but i hear the breaks are weak enough on them . big singles are fair slow they are working hard at 80 mph and your killing them at 90 :thumbsup2:

a street fighter / stunter may be the way to go for you ?

vroom 18th March 2012 10:27 AM

Have to disagree with ye on insurance, that's how i got into biking. 1litre cage was 3500 cheapest quote when i was 18, so got moped was 600 quid.
If it weren't for that s wouldn't love bikes as much dont think ill ever own a cage love de bikes wayyy to much now :cool3:

Trotter Independent Trading 18th March 2012 10:34 AM

[quote=the toenail cutter;2651147]if your used to the speed of a 600rr you will kill a super moto in a month the engins are gutless an africa twin engin would have longer legs but i hear the breaks are weak enough on them . big singles are fair slow they are working hard at 80 mph and your killing them at 90 :thumbsup2:

a street fighter / stunter may be the way to go for you ?[/quote]

Maybe owning both is the way to go:biggrin_old:

cork bikeboy 18th March 2012 10:42 AM

[quote=Blagadán;2651146]
The trailie just works better on the bad irish roads.[/quote]

Any softer sprung bike:thumbsup2: another reason i got sick shit of the daytona and got the sprint, tryin to live with the daytona on our roads was a cunt more then a joy after a while.

Siren 18th March 2012 10:46 AM

I started biking a year ago determined to go through the first year or two being crucified with insurance until I was quoted 320 for the bandit because it was factory restricted- delighted I was. I'm 28 and dreaming about the day I pick up a gixxer or a blackbird or a zx9. Maybe it's something bikers must go through, the speed phase before they buy a different style bike. I hope when I get there the sport bikes will still be about :)

jimgoose 18th March 2012 10:51 AM

[quote=Siren;2651160]I started biking a year ago determined to go through the first year or two being crucified with insurance until I was quoted 320 for the bandit because it was factory restricted- delighted I was. I'm 28 and dreaming about the day I pick up a gixxer or a blackbird or a zx9. Maybe it's something bikers must go through, the speed phase before they buy a different style bike. I hope when I get there the sport bikes will still be about :)[/quote]

Maybe it stems from being a product of the late '80s/90s, but this oul' bassid is still obsessed with FZRs/VFRs/ZZRs and ould Ile Biler Gixxers, and likely to stay that way! :biggrin_old:

the toenail cutter 18th March 2012 10:52 AM

[quote=vroom;2651149]Have to disagree with ye on insurance, that's how i got into biking. 1litre cage was 3500 cheapest quote when i was 18, so got moped was 600 quid.
If it weren't for that s wouldn't love bikes as much dont think ill ever own a cage love de bikes wayyy to much now :cool3:[/quote]

after 14 years of bikes being my only means of transport my hatered of frost over came my love of motorcycles and i went over to the dark side . the insurence was still huge for q 30 year old . that was 12 years ago i still kept my bike my bike is worth 8 or 9 times what my other vehicle is . in that time i have enjoyed bikeing more cos now its a leasure activity/obsession but i dont have to ride on frosty roads anymore . i have choped and changed and had all sorts of bikes the best of the lot being the 1340 harley i kept that one nothing else soothes the soul like that baby i dont just ride it i make love with it i enjoy every mile . my woman said its not just rideing on a bike its hypnotic .:cool3:

Fatboyslim 18th March 2012 10:55 AM

Thats another important one..apart from motorways which are useless for biking, the roads are pretty crap. I had a lovely mint condition low miler Africa twin and 5 minutes after sellin hit I regretted it , and still do .
Have the ktm sm now for up the mountains etc . Its grand but I would prefer a GS Adv. I always felt i am too tall for the Sm.:thumbsup2:

Siren 18th March 2012 11:00 AM

[quote=jimgoose;2651162]Maybe it stems from being a product of the late '80s/90s, but this oul' bassid is still obsessed with FZRs/VFRs/ZZRs and ould Ile Biler Gixxers, and likely to stay that way! :biggrin_old:[/quote]

:thumbsup2: Maybe you're right, and the brothers influence down through the years also, I can't ever see myself buying anything else.

So there'll be at least one biker who will be about when I get on my
sporty :biggrin_old:

jimgoose 18th March 2012 11:04 AM

[quote=the toenail cutter;2651164]after 14 years of bikes being my only means of transport...[/quote]

Yer not wrong. Twelve years in my case. Mark Twain's observation on Work versus Play springs to mind:

"[I]Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.[/I]" :thumbsup2:

Mick-R1 18th March 2012 11:05 AM

i dont think theres a trend with bikes TBH, more what your into, i cant stand the africa twins and the likes of those, im more into sports bikes, and im partial to a really nice cruiser/chopper too, id also grab a nice monster whatever category they fall into too, but those big bulky yolks, or the road going dirt bikes just dont do it for me at all, so even if the whole world was on them i dont think i would be

jimgoose 18th March 2012 11:10 AM

Can we all at least agree that the 1800 Goldwing is the Elton John of motorbikes? It's not that there's anything particularly ghay about them, but I always thought that if the 'Wing were a person it'd be the type that'd play a diamond-encrusted Steinway on stage while wearing a Donald Duck outfit. :lbhbh:

Fatboyslim 18th March 2012 11:17 AM

[quote=jimgoose;2651183]Can we all at least agree that the 1800 Goldwing is the Elton John of motorbikes? It's not that there's anything particularly ghay about them, but I always thought that if the 'Wing were a person it'd be the type that'd play a diamond-encrusted Steinway on stage while wearing a Donald Duck outfit. :lbhbh:[/quote]

+1 :lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh:
Lovely to look at, but thats where it stops for me. Same as those big Harley Ultra glides...whats the point...Ok you are fuckin loaded...Now move on :lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh:

hawkman 18th March 2012 11:53 AM

an interesting discussion this,
like a lot of others ime also the top side of forty, ive never had a" full on "litre sport bike, because i dont see the point of them, for solely road use.
dont get me wrong, ime not knocking them, totally the opposite i love them,
but to me , with only one bike they dont make sense.
the way i look at it is , what use can you get on a daily basis, from a possible 190 bhp bike , with a cramped riding position, yer arse pointing for mecca, and if you want to bring home a loaf from the shop , yed nearly want to distribute the slices around your pockets. add on top of that the state of the irish roads, lets face it most secondary roads in ireland are not sport bike friendly,. then ye have all the potential hazzards trying to kill ya, from sheep, cow shit, tractors, not the harley type, blind cagers, diesel spills, flying fag butts from cages, the list goes on,. this was my thinking when i parted with the blackbird last year, and bought a varadero 1000,.
ok, so all the risks are still there, bike this bike changes your way of thinking,
warp speeds are now totally pointless, secondary roads are now as comfy as a motorway. with a bit of luggage on the bike and i think it suits it,. you could do the weekly shop, and above it riding position is spot on,. in comparsion to the blackbird , it feels like a magic carpet,. aah i suppose ime getting old.:thumbsup2:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS