Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   ZXR 400 overheating (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=170265)

Irish_Elite 28th February 2012 03:39 PM

ZXR 400 overheating

It's over heating when I'm in heavy traffic, and has a small coolant leak, when I get a bit of speed the temperature goes down?

Any ideas??

---
I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?te52m5[/url]

Irish_Elite 28th February 2012 03:57 PM

[quote=Irish_Elite;2630851]It's over heating when I'm in heavy traffic, and has a small coolant leak, when I get a bit of speed the temperature goes down?

Any ideas??

---
I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?te52m5[/url][/quote]

And the fan doesnt seem to kick in I forgot to add.

---
I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jjq5ne[/url]

swanny 28th February 2012 04:40 PM

Re: ZXR 400 overheating

The fan switch is at the front of the rad and very prone to corrosion so that might be worth checking. short the wire from it to ground and the fan should come on. Also - they blow head gaskets pretty often so it migh well be that - mine had both (no fan definitely helps cause the blown gaskets)

Irish_Elite 28th February 2012 04:44 PM

Cheers I'll try that out... Watch this space :)

---
I am here: [url]http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3twd4l[/url]

theliam 28th February 2012 06:50 PM

would you not turn off the location thing on that? same with face-book, i dont get why people publish their exact location... anyone looking at the forum knows where your bike is now

Irish_Elite 28th February 2012 08:03 PM

Didn't notice that it was on. Think it's off now, and that's where my job is. Secured lock up :)

paddylav 29th February 2012 10:29 AM

I have a zxr400 and mine also overheats in heavy traffic, and my fa does kick in alrite, they overheat very easy in town

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 10:52 AM

[quote=paddylav;2631968]I have a zxr400 and mine also overheats in heavy traffic, and my fa does kick in alrite, they overheat very easy in town[/quote]

So you wreckon it's a common thing?? I just am afraid ill damage the bike badly...

Crazy Horse 29th February 2012 10:56 AM

Are lower temp stats available for town riding?

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:04 AM

[quote=Crazy Horse;2632005]Are lower temp stats available for town riding?[/quote]

I'm not sure , I'm absolutely baffled with what to do

ridelikeaturtle 29th February 2012 11:11 AM

I'm not convinced opening up the thermostat early would solve the problem. Maybe cleaning out the radiator and replacing the coolant would be a better option?

You mentioned a coolant leak (in the first post). What's that about? Lower the pressure in the system, and the boiling point lowers... fix that leak.

Is it boiling out of the overflow bottle? Does it sound like a kettle?

Is there any cross-contamination between your coolant and oil?

I ask these things because I had an H1 ZXR400 a few years ago, and the head gasket was leaking in such a way as to allow hot exhaust gases into the water jacket, super-heating the coolant. No coolant was contaminating the oil (or vice-versa), and no coolant was leaking. But it'd get hot and boil over (out the overflow). Hopefully that's not the problem you've got here, and fingers crossed it's just a thermostat problem, old coolant, new radiator cap, etc.

dobo 29th February 2012 11:15 AM

That's what you'd expect it to do...if you have a coolant leak and the fan isn't kicking in, of course it's going to heat up in traffic :unsure2:

I used to have a ZXR750 and it would heat up fairly lively in heavy traffic too, my fan just kicked in and took it back down to temp :thumbsup2:

Would ye not just take the rad off and have a proper look / clean..you'll need to fix the leak anyway like, and the fan could just be a bad earth or something..just source a rad and fan from a breakers if needs be, no?

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:20 AM

[quote=ridelikeaturtle;2632033]I'm not convinced opening up the thermostat early would solve the problem. Maybe cleaning out the radiator and replacing the coolant would be a better option?

You mentioned a coolant leak (in the first post). What's that about? Lower the pressure in the system, and the boiling point lowers... fix that leak.

Is it boiling out of the overflow bottle? Does it sound like a kettle?

Is there any cross-contamination between your coolant and oil?

I ask these things because I had an H1 ZXR400 a few years ago, and the head gasket was leaking in such a way as to allow hot exhaust gases into the water jacket, super-heating the coolant. No coolant was contaminating the oil (or vice-versa), and no coolant was leaking. But it'd get hot and boil over (out the overflow). Hopefully that's not the problem you've got here, and fingers crossed it's just a thermostat problem, old coolant, new radiator cap, etc.[/quote]

I'm going to take it a part and have a better look over the weekend!

There is no oil in the coolant or vice versa.

The leaking coolant seems to coming out of the overflow pipe. Dripping slowly out... Not a huge amount, and of course when the bike starts to overheat it starts to flow out.

There is no fan to help cool it down at all... Then I get a bit of open road and have to give it some welly to get cold air in.

Crazy Horse 29th February 2012 11:29 AM

There have been many makes of bikes in the past that disliked stop/start riding in towns, but the manufacturers kept it quiet. Enquire at a dealership if the fan control switch, (goes on at a certain temp), for your year bike has a replacement. They may just say 2 are available. If not, then it seems your problem lies elsewhere.....hopefully not the head gasket.

dobo 29th February 2012 11:30 AM

Is the coolant level alright? Like is it losing loads of coolant and there's just not enough in there or enough flow to keep it cool?

I'd be inclined to first fix the leak, clean the rad and flush the system...not an expert with what could be throwing the fan off its game but would try just the switch as a quick and dirty fix...and keep an eye on eBay for a breaker ZXR just in case :biggrin_old:

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:36 AM

[quote=Crazy Horse;2632054]There have been many makes of bikes in the past that disliked stop/start riding in towns, but the manufacturers kept it quiet. Enquire at a dealership if the fan control switch, (goes on at a certain temp), for your year bike has a replacement. They may just say 2 are available. If not, then it seems your problem lies elsewhere.....hopefully not the head gasket.[/quote]

There has to be something I can do...the fan control switch should go on a certain temp but it's not I've checked that all out... May hook up an independent switch that I can myself control.

chopper 29th February 2012 11:37 AM

my bike overheats ............ it has a coolant leak and the fan doesnt work ........
cmon ta fuck like !!!!!!!!!

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:38 AM

[quote=dobo;2632058]Is the coolant level alright? Like is it losing loads of coolant and there's just not enough in there or enough flow to keep it cool?

I'd be inclined to first fix the leak, clean the rad and flush the system...not an expert with what could be throwing the fan off its game but would try just the switch as a quick and dirty fix...and keep an eye on eBay for a breaker ZXR just in case :biggrin_old:[/quote]

I'm going to do all that the weekend and also make sure the fan actuall does work and it's not just the switch that fecked!!

I know somebody that has parts there so I'll most Likely be onto him.

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:40 AM

[quote=chopper;2632069]my bike overheats ............ it has a coolant leak and the fan doesnt work ........
cmon ta fuck like !!!!!!!!![/quote]

The leak isnt bad it's like a small few drips every so often from the overflow

chopper 29th February 2012 11:40 AM

[quote=Irish_Elite;2632046]

The leaking coolant seems to coming out of the overflow pipe. Dripping slowly out... Not a huge amount, and of course when the bike starts to overheat it starts to flow out.

.[/quote]

if the rad was filled fresh and the bike started up how long befor the small drips from the overflow? . what temp too?

chopper 29th February 2012 11:42 AM

is there an expansion tank on the bike?

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:42 AM

[quote=chopper;2632076]if the rad was filled fresh and the bike started up how long befor the small drips from the overflow? . what temp too?[/quote]

It happens even when the bike is cold. Doesn't need to be started!

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 11:43 AM

[quote=chopper;2632079]is there an expansion tank on the bike?[/quote]

Yes there's an expansion tank on it

chopper 29th February 2012 11:55 AM

[quote=Irish_Elite;2632080]It happens even when the bike is cold. Doesn't need to be started![/quote]

thats not making sense .

lets try start over ....
is the leak from the over flow hose thats coming from the expansion tank ? or is there an actual hole in the rad where the overflow is connected , i presume the overflow hose from the rad is going into the expansion tank ? .

exactly where is the coolant coming from loike?

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 12:02 PM

[quote=chopper;2632099]thats not making sense .

lets try start over ....
is the leak from the over flow hose thats coming from the expansion tank ? or is there an actual hole in the rad where the overflow is connected , i presume the overflow hose from the rad is going into the expansion tank ? .

exactly where is the coolant coming from loike?[/quote]

From what I can see its coming from the over flow hose that's coming from the expansion bottle.

I've still to take a decent look at it.

I'm just trying to get people's ideas at what to look for or expect.

I've not got a whole lot of money to spend on it.

chopper 29th February 2012 12:07 PM

[quote=Irish_Elite;2632108]From what I can see its coming from the over flow hose that's coming from the expansion bottle.

I've still to take a decent look at it.

I'm just trying to get people's ideas at what to look for or expect.

I've not got a whole lot of money to spend on it.[/quote]

thats not good , sounds like its pressurising too much, first sign of the headgasket woes . straighten the bike up , take cap off rad , start bike , look for little bubbles coming up from the engine and apearing out at the rad cap . if ya see them then the head gaskets gone . if yer not sure what yer doing spin down some time and ill take a look at it foc

Irish_Elite 29th February 2012 12:17 PM

[quote=chopper;2632122]thats not good , sounds like its pressurising too much, first sign of the headgasket woes . straighten the bike up , take cap off rad , start bike , look for little bubbles coming up from the engine and apearing out at the rad cap . if ya see them then the head gaskets gone . if yer not sure what yer doing spin down some time and ill take a look at it foc[/quote]

I appreciate that Chopper, I think I might just spin down on Saturday. I'm
Not the best when it comes to bike engines can only do the basics.

ridelikeaturtle 29th February 2012 12:19 PM

[quote=Irish_Elite;2632144]I appreciate that Chopper, I think I might just spin down on Saturday. I'm
Not the best when it comes to bike engines can only do the basics.[/quote]

I remember fiddling with the thermostat housing on that bike for @20mins... talk about your chinese puzzle.

Irish_Elite 5th March 2012 08:30 AM

All sorted thanks to
Chopper, had a look over it and it was fan switch that's fecked, took his advise and drained the system cleaned off the back of the fan switch with some wet and dry paper, still didn't work. Ordered new switch for it. In the mean time went to southside an bought a switch for 2 quid and hooked that up. Turned the fan on when I got into traffic and it works a treat.

Happy out

Olaf Maxwell 5th March 2012 07:04 PM

I didnt read all the posts but remember you must use coolant mix, not just water. Coolant is way more efficient and has higher boiling temperature. Also, do check both the switch as they can go wrong on all motors. The suggestion of shorting it is good, just brinf a wire to and see if fan kicks in. If you havent time to replace the switch just wire a temporary one that you can switch on yourself.

A lot of head gasket failures come from leaks not being repaired causing overheating. Not everone tells you about the need for the coolant to be right. Not a bad idea to remove and clean out the rad every few years too, does make a difference.

Irish_Elite 5th March 2012 07:11 PM

[quote=Olaf Maxwell;2637936]I didnt read all the posts but remember you must use coolant mix, not just water. Coolant is way more efficient and has higher boiling temperature. Also, do check both the switch as they can go wrong on all motors. The suggestion of shorting it is good, just brinf a wire to and see if fan kicks in. If you havent time to replace the switch just wire a temporary one that you can switch on yourself.

A lot of head gasket failures come from leaks not being repaired causing overheating. Not everone tells you about the need for the coolant to be right. Not a bad idea to remove and clean out the rad every few years too, does make a difference.[/quote]

Ah it's sorted mate but thanks for the input :)

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS