Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   A2 to A Progressive Access (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246554)

f4fwildcat 7th November 2018 11:07 PM

A2 to A Progressive Access

Just want to know if anyone has gone through the process of getting the A learner permit after holding a full A2 license for 2 years.

I've been looking at the NDLS website and I'm assuming that I'm going to be following what they wrote on documentation needed for adding a category to a learner permit. I've not seen anything else in terms whats needed to get the permit. If anyone has any experience of this and could give me a more definite answer than whats on the NDLS site that would be brilliant.

The link below is what I've found in terms of adding the category, I'd assume I'm going to be fine with what they wrote or is there more I need to consider?

[URL="https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/learner-permit.html#to-add-a-category-to-a-learner-permit"]https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/learner-permit.html#to-add-a-category-to-a-learner-permit[/URL]

tadhgR 8th November 2018 09:49 AM

Re: A2 to A Progressive Access

First you'll have to get an A category learner permit, then once you have the progression module with an instructor you call back into the NDLS center to get upgraded to the full A. You don't need to do a second test as you passed it already

f4fwildcat 8th November 2018 11:12 AM

That I understand but to get the learner A permit, what do I need is just whats mentioned above at that link in terms of documentation or is there anything else?

proinnsias 8th November 2018 01:02 PM

[quote=f4fwildcat;3556951]That I understand but to get the learner A permit, what do I need is just whats mentioned above at that link in terms of documentation or is there anything else?[/quote]

Same as you did for the learner A2 - eye test and theory test might still be okay depending on how long ago it was.

Of note, to do progressive access, you must have held the A2 for a minimum of 2 years

Taraxius 10th November 2018 02:53 AM

Dont need to do theory test or eye test, just walk into the NDLS, and fill out the paperwork for it. I just done it last month, A2 to A, Prov. A, lgbt, Back with lgbt cert to swap for full A

f4fwildcat 11th November 2018 07:39 PM

Thanks for that, just wanted to be sure as I'm not to keen to be going back and forth with this. I just want to go in hand them the paperwork and have the license sent to me without any extra hassle.

frozen 11th November 2018 08:27 PM

I'm in the middle of this at the moment. Went in with my full A2, nothing else, filled out a form in there to apply for an A provisional, told the people at the NDLS centre about 15 times I was absolutely sure this is how it works, and then paid the money and received the A permit in the post a week later.

I am doing the upgrade module over a few days, did one day already and out for the next day of it tomorrow

Taraxius 12th November 2018 06:10 PM

[quote=frozen;3557247]I'm in the middle of this at the moment. Went in with my full A2, nothing else, filled out a form in there to apply for an A provisional, told the people at the NDLS centre about 15 times I was absolutely sure this is how it works, and then paid the money and received the A permit in the post a week later.

I am doing the upgrade module over a few days, did one day already and out for the next day of it tomorrow[/quote]

Upgrade module is only one day? :wassat:

frozen 12th November 2018 06:38 PM

[quote=Taraxius;3557344]Upgrade module is only one day? :wassat:[/quote]

Its 11 hours doesn't have to be 1 day, I did the cones stuff one day and the rest of it today.

Did the same for the lgbt too, did it over 4 days I think, great way to do it.

Was able to send off for the A today too in the NDLS centre, :thumbsup2:

Taraxius 12th November 2018 06:40 PM

[quote=frozen;3557348]Its 11 hours doesn't have to be 1 day, I did the cones stuff one day and the rest of it today.

Did the same for the lgbt too, did it over 4 days I think, great way to do it.

Was able to send off for the A today too in the NDLS centre, :thumbsup2:[/quote]

Ah alright fair enough, I just done it all in the one :lbhbh:

f4fwildcat 12th November 2018 10:48 PM

Thanks for the help, went in today with the learner permit forms and a copy of my passing the driving test and whatever other proof they needed. You need to bring both license and learner permit if you still have one in use. Got it sorted so just have to wait for it to arrive in the post and then on to doing the module. Thanks again help.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS