Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bike Mags (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246499)

-alan- 3rd November 2018 04:59 PM

Bike Mags

As in the paper / pictures and words type..

Pretty much got to the point where I'm fed up reading crap online (here excepted of course..) I used to like particularly like some of the big US magazines - like Cycle/Cycle World.

Had a trawl through the shelves of the local Easons today there, but not much worthwhile I could see - mostly fairly crappy UK based ones.

Did any of the good US ones survive into the online era, and is there anywhere you can still buy them - or are there any other decent English language ones worth hunting down ?

allsorts&oddjobs 3rd November 2018 05:11 PM

Re: Bike Mags

i like motorcycle mechanics myself as it covers the bikes of my yoof, lots of early jap stuff.

johnny b 3rd November 2018 06:36 PM

Practical sportsbikes is good most of the time.
They cover 80s 90s 00s stuff.

croaker 1000 k1 3rd November 2018 07:47 PM

[quote=johnny b;3556612]Practical sportsbikes is good most of the time.
They cover 80s 90s 00s stuff.[/quote]

great mag

biker.fakey 3rd November 2018 08:53 PM

Havenít bought a mag since TwoWheelsOnly stopped, loved Jamie Whithams random thoughts and stories, and his home garage/workshop articles, also niall mackenzies reviews and riding tips and advice were spot on

Nothing worth buying anymore

CatchMe 3rd November 2018 09:17 PM

I think mcn sport is good, covers roads, bsb and wsb, hard to find it in the shops though

sidegrinder 3rd November 2018 09:24 PM

I've not seen a good mag in years, I used to buy "on two wheels" "AwoL" "Custom Bike", "The Horse" and "Street Chopper" before they went all Hipster and focused more on the "moc toe platform boot" than good bikes.. oh and "Streetfighter," that promised a reboot but it never happened..

iano 3rd November 2018 09:58 PM

[quote=biker.fakey;3556618]Havenít bought a mag since TwoWheelsOnly stopped, loved Jamie Whithams random thoughts and stories, and his home garage/workshop articles, also niall mackenzies reviews and riding tips and advice were spot on

Nothing worth buying anymore[/quote]

Agree
That was a great magazine

Blueb6 4th November 2018 11:29 AM

I stupidly picked up bike buyers guide a few days ago while waiting in line in a shop, what a mistake it's a load of shite and full of advertising and fuck all worth reading, never bought it before and never will again.
Stay well clear of it

Bimmer_e90 4th November 2018 02:53 PM

MCN & Ride magazines are the best of the UK based magazines for me but they can be hit & miss at times...

My First Suzuki 4th November 2018 03:56 PM

It's horses for courses really. I get Classic Motorcycle Mechanics & Classic Bike Guide every month because I'm an ancient bollix & I like to be reminded of the bikes that were around when I had hair :bag:

ascalon 4th November 2018 06:55 PM

Performance Bikes and Practical Sportsbike are all that I'd even consider buying.

Dub Duke 5th November 2018 10:55 AM

MIght be worth buying online versions of magazines. Could be cheaper if e.g. US magazines.

Practical Sportsbike is thin but a good mag.

motoxyogi 5th November 2018 12:41 PM

+1 for PB and Practical Sportsbikes.
Used to read TWO but then I discovered the above and Bike.
Thought they had much better content.

tomtwix 6th November 2018 05:21 PM

[quote=My First Suzuki;3556677]It's horses for courses really. I get Classic Motorcycle Mechanics & Classic Bike Guide every month because I'm an ancient bollix & I like to be reminded of the bikes that were around when I had hair :bag:[/quote]

I havent much hair either but I dont buy any....just have a read in Tescos:rolleyes2:

If Im really interested in a particular copy its usually "RIDE":woots:

black pudding 6th November 2018 05:45 PM

Practical sportsbikes is all I buy covers a lot of 80s 90s yokes but I've noticed it has been getting considerably smaller lately

Dirtyshirt 8th November 2018 04:10 PM

Ride used to be OK, now its just PB lite. Hardly a month goes by without at least one article boasting about how the british built triumph is the best bike ever made. Also British roads are better than anywhere else in the world, and if you decide to go foreign then the best thing you can do is zip dahn to dovah, blast accross to the ring and as fast as you can zip back to dovah.

Also BSB is the best sport in the world. Unless WSB is being won by some british guy.
Also here is some expensive bit of kit that gets best buy but is out of the procerange of most normal people.

silver fox 8th November 2018 05:59 PM

[quote=Dirtyshirt;3556962]Ride used to be OK, now its just PB lite. Hardly a month goes by without at least one article boasting about how the british built triumph is the best bike ever made. Also British roads are better than anywhere else in the world, and if you decide to go foreign then the best thing you can do is zip dahn to dovah, blast accross to the ring and as fast as you can zip back to dovah.

Also BSB is the best sport in the world. Unless WSB is being won by some british guy.
Also here is some expensive bit of kit that gets best buy but is out of the procerange of most normal people.[/quote]

Totally agree:thumbsup2:

H1500 9th November 2018 01:46 PM

I dunno lads ...... I still like a good ride on a Friday night .... Or any night for that matter😂😋😂😋😂😋

me2 9th November 2018 09:49 PM

[quote=H1500;3557015]I dunno lads ...... I still like a good ride on a Friday night .... Or any night for that matter😂😋😂😋😂😋[/quote]So when ya say that to de wife, she graciously hands the magazine to ya. What do ya tell her when she asks, "how was that for you dear?"?:lbhbh:

Classic motorcycle mechanics, but of late - only when there is an article I really want to see.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS