Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fuel consumption up post service (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246063)

Dub Duke 10th October 2018 09:20 AM

Fuel consumption up post service

I serviced the R6 - air filter (piper cross - previous std), new plugs, oil, oil filter + chain and sprockets.

Bike sounds a bit raspier with the piper air filter, is smoother - probably plugs mainly and is going well.

I've noticed that the fuel consumption is down circa 10% - thought maybe the heavier traffic heading into town post summer, but measured on weekends too.

Would the new air filter take in more air, meaning more fuel??

Maybe needs a remap? Any relevant (and/or funny) thoughts?

Dub Duke 10th October 2018 09:21 AM

Re: Fuel consumption up post service

Micron exhaust also on the bike - but was before the service too.

renniks 10th October 2018 10:05 AM

[quote=Dub Duke;3554105]
Would the new air filter take in more air, meaning more fuel??

[/quote]

Not a mechanic, but to me I can see the logic in this - if more air gets in through the new clean filter, then the air sensor / ecu would see that, and send a matching larger amount of fuel.

I'm sure the resident spanner-spinners will be along to call this twaddle!!

Interceptor 10th October 2018 10:52 AM

Is the gearing the same? Did you fit exactly the same sprocket when you changed them?

Dub Duke 10th October 2018 11:40 AM

[quote=Interceptor;3554120]Is the gearing the same? Did you fit exactly the same sprocket when you changed them?[/quote]

Good question - yes - exact same sprockets front and back, same gearing.

sharpbikes 10th October 2018 11:50 AM

either way a remap is always worth a shot on a bike with modified air filter and exhaust, more ponies and better efficiency......

Dub Duke 10th October 2018 12:17 PM

[quote=sharpbikes;3554124]either way a remap is always worth a shot on a bike with modified air filter and exhaust, more ponies and better efficiency......[/quote]

Agreed. I want to ensure there isn't an issue with the bike before the remap is all.

sharpbikes 10th October 2018 12:23 PM

[quote=Dub Duke;3554129]Agreed. I want to ensure there isn't an issue with the bike before the remap is all.[/quote]

any error on dash?

Dub Duke 10th October 2018 01:15 PM

[quote=sharpbikes;3554130]any error on dash?[/quote]

No error and is running well bar the extra thirst. Getting something like 20 kms less to a tank on average.

damienga15de 10th October 2018 01:25 PM

new air filter, more air getting in more fuel being used.

damienga15de 10th October 2018 01:27 PM

And you have gone from standard to a high flow

sharpbikes 10th October 2018 02:18 PM

[quote=damienga15de;3554146]new air filter, more air getting in more fuel being used.[/quote]

not necessarily, if its closed loop injection it will give the same fueling as always with more air meaning lean mixture. if it has an 02 sensor or airflow sensor and can self adjust the fueling then yes it would be due to the air filter

Weevil 2.0 10th October 2018 02:32 PM

Fuel can have winter additives in it. my consumption always increases in the winter and I know that additives changed depending on seasons.

10bob 10th October 2018 07:11 PM

Maybe you’re giving it more throttle?😁

Valiant Thor 10th October 2018 08:14 PM

[quote=Weevil 2.0;3554164]Fuel can have winter additives in it. my consumption always increases in the winter and I know that additives changed depending on seasons.[/quote]

never knew that :thumbsup2: I just thought it was the increasing petrol price as we buy it in coin not volume ie, 10e, 5e etc and the higher price means less fuel

Dub Duke 11th October 2018 07:29 PM

[quote=Weevil 2.0;3554164]Fuel can have winter additives in it. my consumption always increases in the winter and I know that additives changed depending on seasons.[/quote]

Very interesting. Anyone else notice this?

Weevil 2.0 12th October 2018 11:10 AM

From [URL="http://www.sp3h.com/blog/107/"]this article[/URL]
[quote]We are talking about diesel but what about gasoline?
For gasoline fuel, the impact of consumption is the same, but the reason is different and based on safety. In order to avoid explosion risks due to evaporation of the lighter molecules in the gasoline (example: during refilling tanks), the EN228 standard impose to limit the “vapor pressure” propriety. This proprietary determines the facility by which lighter components can evaporate (and potentially cause an explosion). This is why it is strictly forbidden to smoke in gas stations!

The petroleum refiner have to create a less volatile fuel, so in fact heavier, in order to reduce the chances of evaporation.
In winter, as it is colder, the standard is less strict so the producers can add more lighter molecules.

As a conclusion, diesel composition changes in winter in order for cars to start even under cold temperatures, and gasoline composition changes because of security reasons. But the result is the same: A car will need more fuel in winter.[/quote]

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS