Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Looking for decent waterproof boots and gloves (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=245632)

Honda boi 12th September 2018 07:58 PM

Looking for decent waterproof boots and gloves

Well I'm on the lookout for a pair of boots and gloves.
My old ones are falling apart and the water was attracted to the things.
Is gore Tex the best kind of material for waterproof.
Have about €150 to spend on gloves and €200 on boots.
Found a couple on motorcycleshop.ie that are gore Tex within my budget ..
Is there better material I should be looking out for?
The ones I found were mostly richa and tcx.

VJMC 12th September 2018 08:43 PM

Re: Looking for decent waterproof boots and gloves

TCX gore tex boots are good and you can get Rukka winter gloves at reasonable money on flea bay (or you might)

swanny 12th September 2018 09:03 PM

I've had great luck with Held goretex gloves - last pair from fcmoto.de

proto 12th September 2018 09:32 PM

Using TCX Gortex myself and I second them, comfy and never leaked.

Richa Arctic gloves which never let water in, but the velcro is going after a couple of years.

cracker boy 12th September 2018 11:44 PM

[quote=Honda boi;3551714]Well I'm on the lookout for a pair of boots and gloves.
The ones I found were mostly richa and tcx.[/quote]

What size boot are you???

Check the for sale section!!

Sleazy Rider 13th September 2018 03:32 AM

Another vote for TCX from Cotters at good prices and you can try them On, not like online where you can be caught out.

RTV 13th September 2018 10:08 AM

Can't go wrong with TCX boots, been using them on a regular basis for the past 3 years and they're still as good as new, never a single drop inside them.

I use the X-Blend boots, they're not even goretex I don't think and again not a bother and I've been through some wet, wet trips.

Spending some extra monies on Goretex globes would probably be a good choice. Bear in mind that some companies have their own version of goretex which are as good but obviously not called goretex.

Mr Snuffleupagus 13th September 2018 11:01 AM

Cannot fault the TCX....
Have a pair of Goretex race boots,they have seen lots of road in all weather....never leaked a drop......and so comfortable too.....
They are at least five years old and still dry.....just getting worn out a bit now.....nearly time to invest again
I will buynig TCX again....:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

KTMkenny 13th September 2018 12:34 PM

Use the TCX AIRTECH EVO GTX XCR What a mouthful.

used for 18 months daily in all weather. Never leaked, cool in summer, thicker socks make them perfect for winter.

Would buy again.

Bon Scott 13th September 2018 03:47 PM

[quote=Honda boi;3551714]Well I'm on the lookout for a pair of boots and gloves.
The ones I found were mostly richa and tcx.[/quote]

TCX Explorer GORETEX are superb. I'm actually getting a new pair next week.

€160 or 180 in Cotters.

Jaded 13th September 2018 10:38 PM

Try on the tcx boots as they are small fitting .youll probably have to go up at least a size

Honda boi 14th September 2018 08:24 AM

Thanks guys.
Was expecting to be called a cheap skate and to spend twice as much for a decent pair.:lbhbh:
Tcx explorer goretex seems the best bet I see .

Anyone have a link to them boots on cotters site I can't seem to find them online?
Was thinking these gloves
[url]https://www.cottermc.com/richa-cold-protect-gtx-goretex-black.html[/url]

RTV 14th September 2018 08:38 AM

[quote=Honda boi;3551834]Thanks guys.
Was expecting to be called a cheap skate and to spend twice as much for a decent pair.:lbhbh:
Tcx explorer goretex seems the best bet I see .

Anyone have a link to them boots on cotters site I can't seem to find them online?
Was thinking these gloves
[url]https://www.cottermc.com/richa-cold-protect-gtx-goretex-black.html[/url][/quote]

They might not have them in stock, but if you give them a ring they surely can order them for you. Alternatively, if you know your size just buy online. TCX will match your shoe size just fine (it does for me anyways)

REDLINE-0 14th September 2018 11:39 AM

TCX goretex quality hit and miss.I've two pairs one sports one enduro both goretex .enduro left boot like a sieve in very heavy rain right boot 100% waterproof.
Bought online tough ti**y.
If going for tcx recommend cotters then at least you have somewhere to deal with if you have a problem.

paulyDub 14th September 2018 12:15 PM

If you use only 1 pair of gloves, pick something you can wear yr round, then throw on heated grips for the very cold mornings

Honda boi 14th September 2018 01:55 PM

I liked the idea about going in and trying the stuff on but seen the tcx boots and gloves are cheaper on motorcycleshop.ie.
PayPal are doing free return shipping up to €30 so if it doesn't fit I'd be able to send it back.
May get a helmet aswelll if return shipping is covered !!

jic44 16th September 2018 05:37 PM

ive had 3pairs of tcx boots and have mixed reviews. 1pair were going well and met their end in a crash and did their job well. another lasted about 6months and the zip went and toe slider fell off and a pair of mx boots over 300quids worth literally fell to bits in 2or3 spins in a field with non existant after sales service. ive a pair of richa a year now and only just starting to look tired with daily use

RTV 17th September 2018 08:24 AM

[quote=jic44;3552032]ive had 3pairs of tcx boots and have mixed reviews. 1pair were going well and met their end in a crash and did their job well. another lasted about 6months and the zip went and toe slider fell off and a pair of mx boots over 300quids worth literally fell to bits in 2or3 spins in a field with non existant after sales service. ive a pair of richa a year now and only just starting to look tired with daily use[/quote]

Did you buy those straight from TCX or a shop? If you went through a shop I'll recommend you that you reach out to them, a lot of companies don't deal too much (or at all) with end customers and they rather have their retailers to reach out to them and even so, sometimes there's even a distributor in the middle for RMA and stuff like that.

I also bought a pair of Richa boots and within a year the "leather" started to crack all over the place, they still work OK but they look like they're at least 6 years older than the TCX where they're actually 2 years younger and I only used them every now and then.

dePeatrick 17th September 2018 12:07 PM

[quote=RTV;3552075]Did you buy those straight from TCX or a shop? If you went through a shop I'll recommend you that you reach out to them, a lot of companies don't deal too much (or at all) with end customers and they rather have their retailers to reach out to them and even so, sometimes there's even a distributor in the middle for RMA and stuff like that.

I also bought a pair of Richa boots and within a year the[B] "leather" [/B]started to crack all over the place, they still work OK but they look like they're at least 6 years older than the TCX where they're actually 2 years younger and I only used them every now and then.[/quote]Yep, discovered this years back:

[B]Types of Leather[/B]
Full Grain or Top Grain Leather – ( ” the best ” ) ...
Corrected or Embossed Grain – ( ” 2nd best ” , full grain) ...
Split Suede – ( “functional and inexpensive leather hides” ) ...
Nubuck Sueded Grain – ( “look but don't touch – very sensitive leather”) ...
Reconstituted, Bonded or Fibre Leather – ( “Recycled, particle board” )

All of these can be branded Leather, Full grain will see you out and probably a few generations of you as well, the worst is no better than cardboard. :thumbsup2:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS