Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's the best comfy/performance bike? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=239423)

RTV 17th July 2017 09:57 AM

What's the best comfy/performance bike?

My fellow bikers,

I'm entertaining the idea of switching the R6 for something a bit more upright/comfy in the near future, so I wonder what would you guys recommend to go for?

I would like to keep about the same power/performance but with a more compliant ride, so Sport Bikes are out of the question which probably leaves me with naked ones??

I love the R6, best looking bike in my book and that insane high revving engine gets me everytime, but it's just the position that kills me after a few hours.

- What's the matter McFly, are you chicken?
Yes, I definitely am... so digital nanny would be welcome as well (ABS, TCS, etc).

What say you?!? :bikerie:

Cheers,
Rami

SnozzleSnout 17th July 2017 10:12 AM

Re: What's the best comfy/performance bike?

Mt09 tracer?

vinnym 17th July 2017 10:41 AM

Z800, Fz8?

Duke RR 17th July 2017 10:43 AM

there is no best......all them a re capable in their own right. So it comes down to personal preference.

MT09 Tracer, hasnt put a foot wrong since its launch, but the styling is not for me, something the way the air intakes are moulded, i just dont like it. Its sold in huge numbers everywhere.....maybe worth a look.

IMO , if you like the R6 character, you should look at the FZ8 / Fazer 800. I had one on loan for a while, comfy, superb handling, a huge midrange spread of power. No brainer. Bags of fun and plenty quick. Go the UK, clean ones over there for around 4k stg, worth the punt. Second gen had adj suspension, you wont be disappointed.

the landshark 17th July 2017 10:44 AM

Blackbird

marktspud 17th July 2017 10:58 AM

Vfr800

Veridian 17th July 2017 11:10 AM

Go with the FZ6 or FZ8. Note that because you'll be way more upright on these bikes the wind will be a lot more of an issue as you can't tuck down as much. If you do a lot of long distance travel on motorways this is something to consider.

RTV 17th July 2017 11:17 AM

[quote=SnozzleSnout;3486648]Mt09 tracer?[/quote]

[quote=Duke RR;3486656]there is no best......all them a re capable in their own right. So it comes down to personal preference.

MT09 Tracer, hasnt put a foot wrong since its launch, but the styling is not for me, something the way the air intakes are moulded, i just dont like it. Its sold in huge numbers everywhere.....maybe worth a look.

IMO , if you like the R6 character, you should look at the FZ8 / Fazer 800. I had one on loan for a while, comfy, superb handling, a huge midrange spread of power. No brainer. Bags of fun and plenty quick. Go the UK, clean ones over there for around 4k stg, worth the punt. Second gen had adj suspension, you wont be disappointed.[/quote]

[quote=vinnym;3486655]Z800, Fz8?[/quote]

MT09 is definitely on top of my list for the moment (but the regular one, not the tracer). I'll have to see if there's anyone in Cork that has it for a test ride. The sound of the triple is savage and it has all the electronic gizmos coming at a pretty nice price.

Z800, excellent suggestion! I'm really not familiar with the Kawa lineup and for what I've been reading it's ticking all the boxes, 4 cyl, 14k rpm redline, good looks, I'll definitely look more into it.

[quote=the landshark;3486657]Blackbird[/quote]

[quote=marktspud;3486658]Vfr800[/quote]

Big ol' girls! Nice bikes, but Sport tourers is not really what I'm after.

Nice one lads!

Duke RR 17th July 2017 11:46 AM

[quote=RTV;3486663]MT09 is definitely on top of my list for the moment (but the regular one, not the tracer). I'll have to see if there's anyone in Cork that has it for a test ride. The sound of the triple is savage and it has all the electronic gizmos coming at a pretty nice price.

Z800, excellent suggestion! I'm really not familiar with the Kawa lineup and for what I've been reading it's ticking all the boxes, 4 cyl, 14k rpm redline, good looks, I'll definitely look more into it.

Big ol' girls! Nice bikes, but Sport tourers is not really what I'm after.

Nice one lads![/quote]

the only issue id have with buying the naked MT09 is the lack of range. The tank has a 14 ltr capacity., Now Yamaha reckon you'll see 150 mls, but id imagine if you were heavy handed that could easily drop to 100/110 mls on a tank. Not the end of the world. The aftermarket screens do work on them so yeah a fun bike for sure. Rode one myself across the water, liked it. Was a Yamaha UK fleet bike, stood the abuse they gave it....with demos / launches etc with 15k on the clock. worth a look yeah. Again, worth shopping around. Used ones here are nearly the price of a new bike for the extra 1000 euro, so shop around.

batman_oh 17th July 2017 01:54 PM

For fun/not commuting I've never being on anything more enjoyable on our roads than my old 990SMR. The Superduke is all round a better bike and basically combines close to full on superbike performance with all day comfort, ease of use, wheelies from walking speed and general kuntish behaviour.

But KTM's aren't for many as they have their quirks and the odd issue -although the SMR had zero problems up until I sold it with 33000km and many years of abuse.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything else, but normal doesn't appeal to me :lbhbh:

Vjmc.Cork 17th July 2017 02:12 PM

ZX10R.
I'm told they are surprisingly very comfy,especially on a long run.

kwackquack 17th July 2017 02:20 PM

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3486698]ZX10R.
I'm told they are surprisingly very comfy,especially on a long run.[/quote]

a ZX12 even, probably be a bit cheaper than a ZX10 too

johnny b 17th July 2017 02:31 PM

Z1000sx

RTV 17th July 2017 02:59 PM

[quote=Duke RR;3486670]the only issue id have with buying the naked MT09 is the lack of range. The tank has a 14 ltr capacity., Now Yamaha reckon you'll see 150 mls, but id imagine if you were heavy handed that could easily drop to 100/110 mls on a tank. Not the end of the world. The aftermarket screens do work on them so yeah a fun bike for sure. Rode one myself across the water, liked it. Was a Yamaha UK fleet bike, stood the abuse they gave it....with demos / launches etc with 15k on the clock. worth a look yeah. Again, worth shopping around. Used ones here are nearly the price of a new bike for the extra 1000 euro, so shop around.[/quote]

Small tank wouldn't be an issue really... for big touring I would use the GS. It would be mostly for commuting and the good old blast through country roads. I would normally stop for coffee at some point anyways :)

[quote=batman_oh;3486691]For fun/not commuting I've never being on anything more enjoyable on our roads than my old 990SMR. The Superduke is all round a better bike and basically combines close to full on superbike performance with all day comfort, ease of use, wheelies from walking speed and general kuntish behaviour.

But KTM's aren't for many as they have their quirks and the odd issue -although the SMR had zero problems up until I sold it with 33000km and many years of abuse.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything else, but normal doesn't appeal to me :lbhbh:[/quote]

While I do love the supermotos, I don't think I'm there yet.

I do love the superdukes, but I'll go for a 1290 and I can't afford those :unsure2::lbhbh:

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3486698]ZX10R.
I'm told they are surprisingly very comfy,especially on a long run.[/quote]

[quote=kwackquack;3486700]a ZX12 even, probably be a bit cheaper than a ZX10 too[/quote]

[quote=johnny b;3486702]Z1000sx[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendations but if I change the R6 I wouldn't go for another sportsbike. And don't know why, but I'm not a fan of the ninjas, purely from a looks perspective.

Cheers,
Rami

knightrider 17th July 2017 03:29 PM

[quote=Duke RR;3486656]

IMO , if you like the R6 character, you should look at the FZ8 / Fazer 800. I had one on loan for a while, comfy, superb handling, a huge midrange spread of power. No brainer. Bags of fun and plenty quick. Go the UK, clean ones over there for around 4k stg, worth the punt. Second gen had adj suspension, you wont be disappointed.[/quote]

I's second the fazer, great all-rounder and is exactly what your describing you want.

Dymag 17th July 2017 03:38 PM

[quote=kwackquack;3486700]a ZX12 even, probably be a bit cheaper than a ZX10 too[/quote]

if you like good gas mileage, stay away from Zx12's.
super comfortable yes. no doubt.great bike..yes

[B]but
[/B]
pure alcoholics...they guzzle petrol and i mean guzzle and combine that with small petrol tank........... the fuel gauge races the rev counter across the dash.....
and i should know i have one.......

RTV 17th July 2017 03:41 PM

[quote=Dymag;3486722]if you like good gas mileage, stay away from Zx12's.
super comfortable yes. no doubt.great bike..yes

[B]but
[/B]
pure alcoholics...they guzzle petrol and i mean guzzle and combine that with small petrol tank........... the fuel gauge races the rev counter across the dash.....
and i should know i have one.......[/quote]

:lbhbh::lbhbh:

green grass 17th July 2017 03:47 PM

If your budget would stretch....i think a brand new suzuki GSX-S 1000 is what you want.

Or if you want a euro machine a second hand
BMW S1000 r.

Both lovely bikes with plenty of ooooommmmppphhh and I think class looking. After an R6 it would be hard to stray too far for a sportbike.

biker.fakey 17th July 2017 03:52 PM

[quote=marktspud;3486658]Vfr800[/quote]

:thumbsup2: I used my vfr vtec for everything from track days to trips across Europe, loved that bike, can't say I've ever commuted on it though

RTV 17th July 2017 03:57 PM

[quote=green grass;3486725]If your budget would stretch....i think a brand new suzuki GSX-S 1000 is what you want.

Or if you want a euro machine a second hand
BMW S1000 r.

Both lovely bikes with plenty of ooooommmmppphhh and I think class looking. After an R6 it would be hard to stray too far for a sportbike.[/quote]

Oh, how would I love an S1000R and have an all beemer garage, but don't think I can afford it, I'll take a look thuogh.

It'll be difficult change the R6 that's for sure, just for the looks department alone. I seriusly think it's one of the most sexy looking machines out there, but some of the naked are pretty nice. But if I do make the change, I want to have an upright position instead of being on top of the front wheel and face on the ground on turns :)

Cheers!

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS