Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Confused with all the types of dirt bikes (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=245198)

seantobin43 14th August 2018 09:27 PM

Confused with all the types of dirt bikes

Hi

I thinking of buying a dirt bike because I often go off with my friends and we drive around woods and mountains.

So what I want is a 4 stroke bike between 250-350cc

Budget is 3000 and might stretch it to 4000

Also I only want to buy my bike from a dealer

Do it really matter if I buy a motocross or a enduro?

galway86 14th August 2018 09:30 PM

Re: Confused with all the types of dirt bikes

[quote=seantobin43;3549133]Hi

I thinking of buying a dirt bike because I often go off with my friends and we drive around woods and mountains.

So what I want is a 4 stroke bike between 250-350cc

Budget is 3000 and might stretch it to 4000

Also I only want to buy my bike from a dealer

Do it really matter if I buy a motocross or a enduro?[/quote]
Do you want a road registered bike with lights indicators and a numberplate or not

Vjmc.Cork 14th August 2018 09:59 PM

Buy a 2 stroke enduro.

seantobin43 14th August 2018 10:07 PM

No I don't need it to be road registered, I've no interest driving it on the roads because I've got a van and a trailer

Has to be a 4 stroke, I hate 2 strokes

Vjmc.Cork 14th August 2018 10:18 PM

[quote=seantobin43;3549141] I hate 2 strokes[/quote]

Oh dear......:wassat:

Holy Moly 14th August 2018 10:43 PM

[quote=seantobin43;3549141]
I hate 2 strokes[/quote]

Bussies... :lbhbh:

allsorts&oddjobs 14th August 2018 10:52 PM

Fuggin heresy,

Ahh luurve the smell of two stroke in the morning,

The two stroke tap dance is my favourite dance,

I have gotta get myself another two smoke.

seantobin43 14th August 2018 10:54 PM

Don't comment if your not going to help me :rolleyes2:

allsorts&oddjobs 14th August 2018 10:58 PM

Ah go away and buy a sense of humour, you're gonna need it.

seantobin43 14th August 2018 11:02 PM

I'm not buying a 2 stroke :lbhbh:

allsorts&oddjobs 14th August 2018 11:03 PM

You seem to have made up your mind anyway, you say it has to be a four stroke between 250 to 350cc and between 3 and 4 grand, what exactly do you need to know?, are you looking for specific bike reccomendations or what?

Honda crf250 is a known good bike.

galway86 14th August 2018 11:05 PM

For 3 grand you should have no problem getting an immaculate MX bike. I've only had experience with a yam wr450 and a BMW g450x . They're not full on MX bikes so can't comment on them,

Conor200 14th August 2018 11:47 PM

[quote=seantobin43;3549145]Don't comment if your not going to help me :rolleyes2:[/quote]

alot of that goes on here alright :doh:

chammer 15th August 2018 12:00 AM

[quote]I hate 2 strokes[/quote]
You've got no soul :devil:

Whether you go for mx or Enduro? Yes it makes a difference.

Mx bikes are designed for going fast around a track and not much else. They don't like tipping around slowly. Most 2 stroke mx bikes will foul the plug if you don't drive them hard enough.

Enduro may be better if you want to ride around woods and trails. They are good for general mucking about but not as good on track or jumping. The power delivery should be less peaky and the suspension less focussed.

I used to have an rm250 2 stroke and loved it. The way it hit the power band made a fireblade feel civilized :lbhbh: I've ridden a good few 2 stroke and 4 stroke mx bikes and 2 stroke is way more fun :lbhbh:
I'd consider an Enduro if I was buying another dirt bike for general mucking about.

Holy Moly 15th August 2018 12:03 AM

[quote=seantobin43;3549145]Don't comment if your not going to help me :rolleyes2:[/quote]

Not now anyways.

NODSTER 15th August 2018 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=seantobin43;3549141] I hate 2 strokes[/quote]

I heard that :nono:

paudy 15th August 2018 10:43 AM

i recently got a 09 klx 250, great wee bike, its road reg so handy for spinning to off road spots, didnt like the idea of leaving car with trailer or van at side of road, unfortunately of all the other people ive met off road, none of them seem that bothered by where their bikes or spares come from so, id be very wary of leaving a van lying around that lads might think theres tools or spares in, The klx is a great bike, there slow on road think i got 113 kmhr out of it but that feels fast in a field, 3000 - 4000 is plenty, should get you a fairly new yoke, the klx is very cheap to run and service, Its hard enough to get good off road bikes, their either not looked after or / and no history, and no traceability, got mine from bike dealer, dealer prices were cheaper than private when i was looking,

paudy 15th August 2018 10:51 AM

[quote=NODSTER;3549156]I heard that :nono:[/quote]

thats the problem with them, everyone can hear you on them,

doctorchopper 15th August 2018 01:28 PM

I you want a bike to go around the forests get a enduro bike, and if you want four stroke get one with electric start. CCM racing have a nice wr250, think its around a 2009, aluminium frame one, only thing is it has a lot of hours on it 200 and something. The problem with mx bikes is they are geared internally for the track, most of the older ones don't have e start and are hard to start when hot and stall easily in tight technical stuff as they have light flywheels. the suspension is stiff as they are setup for jumps so they will deflect off rocks and roots very easily. Now all these things (except e start ) can be sorted with time and money but its just easier to buy and enduro bike from the start.

doctorchopper 15th August 2018 03:32 PM

was just in ccm and its a 2009 wr250 with 240hrs on it, new akra pipe. sign said 2700 euro

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS