Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   insurance discs for bikes ??? (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=243547)

Cylinderhead 14th May 2018 10:27 PM

insurance discs for bikes ???

Friend got pulled over at a checkpoint, the Ban Garda wanted to know why no insurance disc on the bike !! :wassat: Friend had to produce documents at the cop shop. Obviously a rookie error by the Garda involved, but got me thinking, why not have insurance discs for bikes ?

Beard-Face 14th May 2018 10:30 PM

Re: insurance discs for bikes ???

Cos theyd be robbed

Gixxer 14th May 2018 10:34 PM

Because science!

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4222/34944678051_2ee85da40e_o.png[/IMG]

acdc 14th May 2018 10:42 PM

[quote=Cylinderhead;3536651]Friend got pulled over at a checkpoint, the Ban Garda wanted to know why no insurance disc on the bike !! :wassat: Friend had to produce documents at the cop shop. Obviously a rookie error by the Garda involved, but got me thinking, why not have insurance discs for bikes ?[/quote]

usually, one call or a computer check and they will know

me2 14th May 2018 11:04 PM

ooh yeah, back to the stone age, that's the way forward.

kickstart 14th May 2018 11:07 PM

I carry a photocopy of my policy foled up with my licence. All the info is there Insurance company name,number, etc. They can do their own checks if they want. Save you haveing to go to the station to produce.

PADDYOT 15th May 2018 06:41 AM

Dont want to start Garda bashing because I think they have an incredibly hard job. However, not surprising but still scary that a Garda can make it all the way through the training at Templemore, then be tasked with manning a checkpoint (where the main job is to check vehicles) but without the most basic and rudimentary knowledge of the legal requirements for the vehicles that they are meant to be checking.

allsorts&oddjobs 15th May 2018 06:47 AM

think thats bad, mate of mine was stopped by customs (diesel checkpoint) driving a classic cage, number plate was old irish number but yer wan (yep female) wanted to impound the vehicle cos he was driving around on a 'foreign' reg, i kid you not.

bandit0 15th May 2018 08:06 AM

Wimmens.......

RTV 15th May 2018 08:52 AM

I've never been asked for insurance on check points to be honest. They always look at the tax disc.

I do have a copy of the policy on my phone just in case, but even if you are involved in a crash you have like 10 days or something like that to produce proof of insurance.

Maybe they suspected it was a robbed bike???

Weevil 2.0 15th May 2018 08:58 AM

Rules of the road state clearly there is no obligation to carry an insurance cert whilst riding a motorbike. However I was advised by Garda to carry a photocopy of it on me just for the sake of convenience to prove that I am not some kind of chancer. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I believe they dont have a magic database of tax AND insurance details for the vehicle/driver.

SUGS 15th May 2018 09:08 AM

[quote=Cylinderhead;3536651]Friend got pulled over at a checkpoint, the Ban Garda wanted to know why no insurance disc on the bike !! :wassat: Friend had to produce documents at the cop shop. Obviously a rookie error by the Garda involved, but got me thinking, why not have insurance discs for bikes ?[/quote]

Ya shouldda reminded her that you pay her wages .. !!

Normally carry a copy of policy with me - saves the hassle of having to go to my local cop shop(which tends to be closed more than open).

btw ... was she good looking and did you get her number..!

me2 15th May 2018 09:56 AM

[quote=SUGS;3536690]Ya shouldda reminded her that you pay her wages .. !!

Normally carry a copy of policy with me - saves the hassle of having to go to my local cop shop(which tends to be closed more than open).

btw ... was she good looking and did you get her number..![/quote]Why da fuck would ya, every heart to heart conversation would start with " ya have the right to remain silent...."
Granted that's good advice at the best of times....but still.

Though suppose there is the handcuffs if ya are into that sort of thing...be a pal, me number is 0876#[email protected]%91.

the landshark 15th May 2018 11:47 AM

[quote=Weevil 2.0;3536688]Rules of the road state clearly there is no obligation to carry an insurance cert whilst riding a motorbike. However I was advised by Garda to carry a photocopy of it on me just for the sake of convenience to prove that I am not some kind of chancer. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I believe they dont have a magic database of tax AND insurance details for the vehicle/driver.[/quote]

Theres no insurance database that the gardai have access to.
The only way they know your insurance info is from what you put in to the tax renewal.
Other than that they have to ring the insurance company and see if you are still insured.
There was a lot of young cagers getting insurance on the drip, paying the first instalment to get the cert and then bouncing the rest. Big headache for the law as they had to ring in every cert to see was it valid.

goodbob 15th May 2018 01:52 PM

Fuck em....they are incompetent. They don't even meet the minimum standards for performing their duties.

SUGS 15th May 2018 02:37 PM

[quote=me2;3536699]Why da fuck would ya, every heart to heart conversation would start with " ya have the right to remain silent...."
Granted that's good advice at the best of times....but still.

Though suppose there is the handcuffs if ya are into that sort of thing...be a pal, me number is 0876#[email protected]%91.[/quote]

..she could put that baton to good use ... yikes .. !

PJ 15th May 2018 02:48 PM

[quote=Cylinderhead;3536651]Friend got pulled over at a checkpoint[/quote]

Why did he stop?
Emoji's not working so I can't add the smiley face.

Gixxer 15th May 2018 03:01 PM

[quote=PADDYOT;3536678]Dont want to start Garda bashing.[/quote]
Why not? It's almost as much fun as Harley bashing. :lbhbh:

[quote=PADDYOT;3536678]I think they have an incredibly hard job.[/quote]

:lbhbh:

flinzer 15th May 2018 03:37 PM

They all e-mail copies to you now.
Just open your e-mail account on your phone & show it to them.

RTV 15th May 2018 03:56 PM

[quote=flinzer;3536759]They all e-mail copies to you now.
Just open your e-mail account on your phone & show it to them.[/quote]

Because if you're out on a ride, you're most likely not to have any phone service :lbhbh:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS