Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Most fun on the best roads? (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246930)

BigDiggity 5th December 2018 06:20 PM

Most fun on the best roads?

I知 moving to France next year, down by the alps... I知 trying to suss out what I知 going to get for thrashing around the mountain passes down there...

I知 caught in two minds... big belter or light weight sorta supertwin :devil:

The first thing that comes to mind is a supernaked, like a superduke or an MT10, both of which I test rode before and were savagely quick and fun but before you even know it... you池e out of 3rd gear your way over any speed limit.

Then I was thinking maybe the whole riding 全low bike fast approach, getting something like an MT07, remap, suspension upgrade and full system and you could end up having more fun and keep your license a whole lot longer.

Or would a mid size, 765/750 be the best of all worlds...

I値l be taking my GS down for touring, commuting and a bit of off road to tick all the other boxes.

Decisions decisions :shifty:

-alan- 5th December 2018 06:24 PM

Re: Most fun on the best roads?

Buy a few..

There's no road-tax or NCT to worry about down there, so source a decent multi-bike insurance policy (and a few trickle chargers) and you'll be able to run a small fleet of bikes handy enough.

Lucky bar-steward btw :)

Vjmc.Cork 5th December 2018 06:27 PM

250 2 stroke. :thumbsup2:

ridelikeaturtle 5th December 2018 06:28 PM

Congratulations on the move!

The Kawasaki Z1000SX is very popular over there. That'd be the bike I'd go for, if I were upgrading the ZRX.

BigDiggity 5th December 2018 06:52 PM

[quote=-alan-;3559255]Buy a few..

There's no road-tax or NCT to worry about down there, so source a decent multi-bike insurance policy (and a few trickle chargers) and you'll be able to run a small fleet of bikes handy enough.

Lucky bar-steward btw :)[/quote]

Cheers! I like the sound of this option... start with a little ripper and then get a big brute, then fill the gaps :lbhbh:

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3559257]250 2 stroke. :thumbsup2:[/quote]
Never tried one! Will have to give one a go... if the noise and smell is anything to go by... we値l get on just fine

[quote=ridelikeaturtle;3559259]Congratulations on the move!

The Kawasaki Z1000SX is very popular over there. That'd be the bike I'd go for, if I were upgrading the ZRX.[/quote]
Cheers, I致e a friend in work with one of them, been meaning to arrange a swap for a spin. Won稚 knock it till I try it but was thinking something more agile as I already have the touring/sports touring box ticked.

cracker boy 5th December 2018 07:38 PM

That new weird looking Honda CB1000R looks like it could be a bit of craic

gsxr100k7 5th December 2018 08:23 PM

Ktm 990 sm

bandit0 5th December 2018 08:32 PM

[quote=gsxr100k7;3559266]Ktm 990 sm[/quote]

Agreed or a street triple.

batman_oh 5th December 2018 08:41 PM

Alpine passes without big speed it would without doubt be a KTM 990SMR (original version for niceness) or the later one/990sm. Instant punch and easy to throw about. The Ducati hypermotard 939sp would appeal also.
Mt10 is quite large and not exactly nimble. The 1290 superduke would work well but it痴 overkill on slower stuff. More a yoke for going too fast everywhere but comfortably

BigDiggity 5th December 2018 08:52 PM

[quote=gsxr100k7;3559266]Ktm 990 sm[/quote]

[quote=bandit0;3559267]Agreed or a street triple.[/quote]

I had a go on a 990 duke, was good but felt a bit unrefined. Is the 990SM much different?

[quote=batman_oh;3559268]Alpine passes without big speed it would without doubt be a KTM 990SMR (original version for niceness) or the later one/990sm. Instant punch and easy to throw about. The Ducati hypermotard 939sp would appeal also.
Mt10 is quite large and not exactly nimble. The 1290 superduke would work well but it痴 overkill on slower stuff. More a yoke for going too fast everywhere but comfortably[/quote]

Fair point about the MT10, The only way it didn稚 feel blisteringly fast was going from one side to the other...

I致e always been a fan of the hypermotards but heard some horror stories about reliability? Ever had one?

joe williams 5th December 2018 09:26 PM

950 sm or the 660 sm.

VJMC 5th December 2018 09:29 PM

92 -98 fireblade is good fun a "slow" bike but if you get a well sorted one and correct one you will have fun and no depreciation, but up to you, otherwise buy a newer bike which wont be as much fun and have loads of depreciation, great decision to be making have fun, I believe things in France are tough for bikers now???? make sure you have the yellow vest so as you can partake in the riots

Admin 5th December 2018 09:47 PM

[quote=BigDiggity;3559254]I’m moving to France next year, down by the alps... I’m trying to suss out what I’m going to get for thrashing around the mountain passes down there...

[B]I’m caught in two minds... big belter or light weight sorta supertwin[/B] :devil:

The first thing that comes to mind is a supernaked, like a superduke or an MT10, both of which I test rode before and were savagely quick and fun but before you even know it... you’re out of 3rd gear your way over any speed limit.

Then I was thinking maybe the whole riding ‘Slow bike fast’ approach, getting something like an MT07, remap, suspension upgrade and full system and you could end up having more fun and keep your license a whole lot longer.

Or would a mid size, 765/750 be the best of all worlds...

I’ll be taking my GS down for touring, commuting and a bit of off road to tick all the other boxes.

Decisions decisions[/quote]

Trade the BMW and get a new KTM 1090 to do everything, it's quicker, lighter and more agile than the GS yet does everything it does incl. touring 2-up, 125bhp doesn't sound like much but they're a lot of fun (like a fast sv650 on backroads) and probably better off-road too.

No point in having too many bikes, double the expense with tyres, servicing, running costs etc. and only one of them gets used.

Vjmc.Cork 5th December 2018 09:59 PM

[quote=Admin;3559277]
No point in having too many bikes, double the expense with tyres, servicing, running costs etc. and only one of them gets used.[/quote]

Yer wrong there boss,the number of bikes you need is the number you have plus one.
Scientifically proven doncha know :thumbsup2:

Admin 5th December 2018 10:01 PM

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3559278]Yer wrong there boss,the number of bikes you need is the number you have plus one.
Scientifically proven doncha know :thumbsup2:[/quote]

yeah but harleys and bmw gs1200's don't really count in those equations :bag:

Vjmc.Cork 5th December 2018 10:06 PM

[quote=Admin;3559280]yeah but harleys and bmw gs1200's don't really count in those equations :bag:[/quote]

They are the exception that prove the adage "Less is more" :lbhbh:

-alan- 5th December 2018 10:24 PM

[quote=Admin;3559277]
No point in having too many bikes, double the expense with tyres, servicing, running costs etc. and only one of them gets used.[/quote]

Yebbut..take the fixed costs annual and hassle out of tax, and set up a multi-bike insurance policy (under French rates) and it gets a lot easier. Especially when the decent weather riding season is closer to 8 good months instead of our poxy 1 1/2 (if we're lucky..)

Admin 5th December 2018 10:43 PM

If you needed to have one bike in each country, or were constantly getting chases and wanted to throw the gendarmerie's off the scent, - fair enough, but on a tight and twisty back-road there would be few bikes that'd leave you sitting on the 1090, basic clocks, basic suspension, basic electronics but it all works as a package and definitely worthy of a test spin.

DavyH 5th December 2018 11:25 PM

[quote=Admin;3559288]If you needed to have one bike in each country, or were constantly getting chases and wanted to throw the gendarmerie's off the scent, - fair enough, but on a tight and twisty back-road there would be few bikes that'd leave you sitting on the 1090, basic clocks, basic suspension, basic electronics but it all works as a package and definitely worthy of a test spin.[/quote]

Agree, they're a little complicated.... But not overly,so no scary desmo style servicing, which could cost quite a few frogs legs and snails in wee wee land. Simple enough to be fun, and modern enough to be quick

Admin 5th December 2018 11:50 PM

No point in going overboard, there are lads riding around on sportsbikes who can't even get to within 60% of their performance capability on the roads and would be much more comfortable and relaxed on something with less power that was softer for bumps and could be driven to within say, 90% of it's overall capacity quite easily, and thus be ultimately quicker and safer while having way more criac bouncing off the limiter and tearin' around on a spin - but,..

Unfortunately, for some it's more a consideration of static/coffee shop/look at me strutting around like a rooster who's guilty by association with having the same 200mph motogp logos & other visually arresting connotations, where the 'ego' takes over and ultimately makes up their mind for them, as they try to matthew l饕lanc out some geriatric (who 'gets' it) that just left them sitting on the col d montagne :doh:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS