Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Crash Camera - do you? (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246928)

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 11:22 AM

Crash Camera - do you?

Do any of you use a crash camera, not just to document the odd spin out or to show how quick you can go in a straight line but for the purpose of documenting your daily commute if an accident happens (with or without your involvement).
I do, I find it useful given that it was helpful in a conviction against a ar*ehole drunk driver who slammed into me. Another driver had it in their car. Its also for piece of mind to know if anything does happen then the camera doesn’t lie.

I do find that my daughter puts it on her bicycle sometimes to record her wheel going round & round..or its tied to the dog to get his view on the world.

oroura25 5th December 2018 12:01 PM

Re: Crash Camera - do you?

Did you see the video of the incident where the taxi knocked the lad off his bicycle at the Five Lamps in Dublin? He had a camera front and rear which banished any ambiguity of accounts.

That said, the UK dashcam websites exhibit a lot of self righteous lads thinking they're God's gift to proficient motoring.

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 12:08 PM

I did see it, I've seen a few Irish dash cam footage, its helpful. Isn't it AXA that give a discount for dash cams but then there is this rubbish about data protection.
I seen one of a taxi driver being a sadistic scumbag chasing a cyclist down the road near Mountjoy Sq, even getting up on the footpath but someone caught it on a dash cam. I'm sure he was prosecuted in some way.
Useful.

RTV 5th December 2018 12:52 PM

I do run with a gopro on my helmet at all times. It's almost a must if you commute... but I don't play vigilante. I don't go around screaming you'll be on youtube and saying the reg out loud...

It's just in case anything should happen (knock on wood).

ridelikeaturtle 5th December 2018 01:04 PM

I do on the bicycle, front and rear (Cycliq Fly12 and Fly6), at all times. After a friend of mine woke up in the hospital, with his most recent memory being about 50km away from where he was actually knocked off the bike, I consider it extremely important to have evidence of what happened, in the case of an accident.

I purchased a Z-Edge S4 dual dashcam for my wife's vehicle. 1080p front and rear. In the work van, I have two dashcams, one front and one to the left side.

(I'm bordering on paranoia with the dashcams. Maybe slightly more toward "paranoia" than "bordering".)

I have an Innovv C3 mounted on the ZRX, and it works really well, but surprisingly (given my love of dashcams for the cages and cycles) I rarely run it when on the ZRX. I should either become religious with using it with a portable power source, or hook it directly into the bike's electronics, to turn on and off with the bike (like my other dashcams are). I'm sure if I took the motorbike out more often, I would.

kwackquack 5th December 2018 01:11 PM

I have one in the front of the cage and another one to go in for the rear, just cheap 25 euro ones but they're surprisingly good quality.
I bought a good bullet cam for the lid that I will start using when I get the bike back on the road, considering permanently wired front/rear ones as well for the bike

Jack stowage 5th December 2018 01:43 PM

I love my Go pro with the head mount...specially when she's looking up at me....:lbhbh:

ENGLISH 5th December 2018 02:16 PM

Gdpr

allsorts&oddjobs 5th December 2018 02:32 PM

[quote=Jack stowage;3559229]I love my Go pro with the head mount...specially when she's looking up at me....:lbhbh:[/quote]

ya pervert..................

any footage?

and i dont mean of her feet....

ridelikeaturtle 5th December 2018 02:34 PM

[quote=ENGLISH;3559230]Gdpr[/quote]

* Private person
* Non-enclosed, public area
* "Looping" recording, not permanently stored
* "Dashcams" are not classed as CCTV, as they are not fixed and not monitoring a specific area, and are otherwise not specifically covered in GDPR legislation

... but if you're really concerned about GDPR, I would recommend seeking legal advice. :bikerie:

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 02:39 PM

So I'm not in a minority, they are used often enough by people for the simple reason of proof of an accident, they are necessary in a claim society.
You also get to document the complete morons that drive cars using their free rice crispy packet licences.

ridelikeaturtle 5th December 2018 02:53 PM

[quote=Popcorn750;3559234]So I'm not in a minority, they are used often enough by people for the simple reason of proof of an accident, they are necessary in a claim society.
You also get to document the complete morons that drive cars using their free rice crispy packet licences.[/quote]

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2: No, not a minority at all. Dashcams are only becoming more widely used.

I envision a case - and as we're all aware, becoming more likely all the time - where I'm disputing someone's version of an event. An objective third party - a video recording - would be priceless.

I don't expect this sort of evidence to always be admissible in a court of law, or to be relied upon absolutely in all cases. But it would certainly be nice to have in any negotiation process where there is a dispute over who did what.

Otischop 5th December 2018 02:55 PM

Yep, gladly so too, was filtering last night at 23kph just on the broken white line, no cars on my right, young lad came out from behind a car, looked left but not right, nearly ended up on the petrol tank, he picked himself and his bike up, asked him was he ok? he said yeah fine, "don't worry bout it", off he went, could of been a different story though... Just wondering now, filtering is a bit of a grey area right? But was I totally in the wrong?

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 03:30 PM

[quote=Otischop;3559236]Yep, gladly so too, was filtering last night at 23kph just on the broken white line, no cars on my right, young lad came out from behind a car, looked left but not right, nearly ended up on the petrol tank, he picked himself and his bike up, asked him was he ok? he said yeah fine, "don't worry bout it", off he went, could of been a different story though... Just wondering now, filtering is a bit of a grey area right? But was I totally in the wrong?[/quote]

We're all responsible for our own actions, regardless of the outcome.
If he used his common sense and looked in both directions he would of seen you.
On the other hand are you wrong for filtering, I'd be a hypocrite if I said you were, you seen him and didn't end up hurting you both.

Otischop 5th December 2018 03:48 PM

[quote=Popcorn750;3559238]We're all responsible for our own actions, regardless of the outcome.
If he used his common sense and looked in both directions he would of seen you.
On the other hand are you wrong for filtering, I'd be a hypocrite if I said you were, you seen him and didn't end up hurting you both.[/quote]

Yeah I'll just be a bit more vigilant on the commute... Rattled me to say the least but we were both grand i.e no harm done...

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 03:53 PM

[quote=Otischop;3559239]Yeah I'll just be a bit more vigilant on the commute... Rattled me to say the least but we were both grand i.e no harm done...[/quote]

Exactly, he learned a lesson as well, motorbikes hurt!

Popcorn750 5th December 2018 04:07 PM

[quote=ridelikeaturtle;3559233]* Private person
* Non-enclosed, public area
* "Looping" recording, not permanently stored
* "Dashcams" are not classed as CCTV, as they are not fixed and not monitoring a specific area, and are otherwise not specifically covered in GDPR legislation

... but if you're really concerned about GDPR, I would recommend seeking legal advice. :bikerie:[/quote]

That settles that eh.

Alkers 5th December 2018 04:30 PM

Don't use anything but would be interested in getting a setup that records on a continuous loop and only saves the footage if you ask it to or it detects a shock or something - does this exist?

ridelikeaturtle 5th December 2018 04:37 PM

[quote=Alkers;3559242]Don't use anything but would be interested in getting a setup that records on a continuous loop and only saves the footage if you ask it to or it detects a shock or something - does this exist?[/quote]

It seems the Innovv C5 has a G-shock setting. But it's not inexpensive.

thos 5th December 2018 04:43 PM

I've got the Innovv K1, front and rear, hard-wired.

New model is the K2
[url]https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2[/url]

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS