Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Do insurance companies have to insure you if you switch bike (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246915)

seano 4th December 2018 02:04 PM

Do insurance companies have to insure you if you switch bike

I'm kind of stuck in a rut at the moment, I made the mistake last year of getting insured as a named rider under my dad for the sake of cheaper insurance not realising no insurer counts named riding experience. I'm looking for something to start out on my own insurance, that will also be handy at trackdays and I'm thinking an RC390 only they are impossible for me to insure as no one will even quote me. I'm thinking of two things, either insure a 125 and change insurance (do they have to quote me if I change bike once insurance has started?) or I know with policy last year main rider had 3rd party cover on any bike but this may not apply to me being only 19. It's annoying I rode all summer on a Tiger 800 and last winter on a bros 400 and now can't get insurance on a smaller bike because I haven't got my name on the piece of paper that matters. Has anyone any experience doing something similar? Carole nash's policy wording seemed way too good to be true, 3rd party cover on any bike the main rider is insured to ride that isn't in his/her name. Sorry if post is a bit long.

kwackquack 4th December 2018 02:13 PM

Re: Do insurance companies have to insure you if you switch bike

Get a Bros for the road again and a decent track bike for that

renniks 4th December 2018 02:18 PM

They don't have to quote you if you change bike mid way through a policy.
Think about it: You wouldn't expect them to cover you if you started your policy insuring a GN125, then after a few months you bought a Kawasaki H2R and tried to change over cover to it!

dukeNblade 4th December 2018 02:22 PM

"3rd party cover on any bike" relates to "NOT OWNING" regardless of what the paperwork says. They would not honor any claim once they found out the true owner.

RTV 4th December 2018 02:25 PM

Correct, I've changed bikes mid term and had to pay a difference. The classic, ring before you buy applies 100%.

Holy Moly 4th December 2018 02:43 PM

If you were riding around on a tiger 800 before now, you were not insured, regardless of the named rider thing. Unfortunately you have begin with the handy yoke for roads and buy anither bike for the track to trailer there and back, as already mentioned.

sharpbikes 4th December 2018 04:20 PM

nope they dont have to cover you on another bike because you already have a policy on a different bike. recently went from a cbr1000rr to a r1 and struggled to get insurance on the r1 (no fecking clue why), in the end i pushed them and they gave me a reasonable quote for changing to the r1 but only because i had been with them for years and had good ncb. each new bike is a new quote, only difference is the policy is already there so they continue to run the same policy till expiry and charge you for the rest of the policy on new bike.

cracker boy 4th December 2018 06:20 PM

You don't mention what sort of a licence you have........have you a full A licence ??

seano 4th December 2018 07:11 PM

A2 licence, sharpbikes pretty much answered my question anyway. I think it is cheaper though to switch the bike insured instead of start the policy off with it. It was 650 for me as named rider on the bros 400 with neither main rider or me with ncb which looking back was reasonable, and another 700 to switch to Tiger in May, so i got just over 6 months of riding, but the renewable went up to 1900 even though there was now a 1 year ncb. But judging by what sharpbikes said if I went down this route with the rc390 I probably wouldn't get insured on it. It's a pity because there's one on dd at the moment which would suit me perfectly, set up for track but also has the road kit.

Markomurray 4th December 2018 07:14 PM

With your cover you can ride another bike third party but the bike has to be insured and cannot be insured by yourself or in your name

Vjmc.Cork 4th December 2018 07:17 PM

[quote=dukeNblade;3559120]"3rd party cover on any bike" relates to "NOT OWNING" regardless of what the paperwork says. They would not honor any claim once they found out the true owner.[/quote]

The other bike also has to be insured by the owner :thumbsup2:

seano 4th December 2018 07:24 PM

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3559166]The other bike also has to be insured by the owner :thumbsup2:[/quote]

Ok cheers, I knew it couldn't be as simple as putting it in someones elses name and riding around on it.

cracker boy 4th December 2018 09:49 PM

Was the Tiger 800 restricted ??

ciderking 4th December 2018 09:55 PM

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3559166]The other bike also has to be insured by the owner :thumbsup2:[/quote]

Can't speak for the other companies but had war with Carole Nash a few years back over this. They failed to show my in the policy book where this is mentioned. Eventually after much bullshit with an underwriter he told me the other bike must be roadworthy. A roadworthy vehicle does not need insurance - a road legal vehicle yes but not roadworthy. Eventually he conceded.

I can't find my current policy book but it's definitely the case on the book I have found :thumbsup2:

ciderking 4th December 2018 10:01 PM

I've seen cases where insurance companies have contacted the previous seller to identify the person they sold it to. So as stated it's not always good enough to just register it in someone else's name

seano 4th December 2018 11:51 PM

800 was restricted, still a hoot.

corkgsxr 5th December 2018 08:05 AM

I went from a gsxr600 to a s1000rr and they would cover it but it was only 3 months and sed piss off after that. Would not quote

Motomong 5th December 2018 11:03 AM

Insurance companies in Ireland do whatever they want

proinnsias 5th December 2018 12:03 PM

As others have said
* No, there is nothing forcing insurers to cover you if you change bike midway through the policy
* Your renewal will be based on what you're riding currently
* Any policy, named rider, riding other bikes or otherwise is always dependent on the bike being roadworthy and you having a valid licence for the bike in question

Take it easy, bide your time etc
Insurers and underwriters see 19yo on a "fast bike" and, well, no matter how sensible you personally might be, they have no way to know, bar what you show them!

P

LarryDuff 6th December 2018 07:12 AM

[quote=dukeNblade;3559120]"3rd party cover on any bike" relates to "NOT OWNING" regardless of what the paperwork says. They would not honor any claim once they found out the true owner.[/quote]

have you proof of this?
or is it just a theory of yours?

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS