Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Engine rattle after valve job (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246908)

stephenryan2525 3rd December 2018 11:05 PM

Engine rattle after valve job

Did my valves 2 days ago (first time) on a bandit 6 and been perfect until today where after I gave it a bit of a beating I now hear a rattle at idle. I've been told it's probably the cam chain/tensioner which got me thinking. We're supposed to rotate the crank clockwise when doing valves but I rotated them by the wheel anti-clockwise a little bit.
It's too coincidental that only now it's happening but it was running amazing for two days
So is my timing shagged?
Is it doing damage by riding until the weekend?

sharpbikes 3rd December 2018 11:17 PM

Re: Engine rattle after valve job

valves on them are meant to be ticky and sound like a type writer when set correctly, i assume thats not the noise, tensioner failure will cause a distinct slap at idle from the chains at slack and hitting the tensioner blade or the cam chain tunnel, when doing clearances on a b6 you dont need to remove the cams so i would be almost certain you didnt upset the timing.

turning anticlockwise isnt recommended when turning the motor over but ive yet to see it cause damage. i would assume its purely down to the fact the tensioner has failed at a coincidental time.

i have had bikes that have had tensioners ready to tick over onto the next notch on the tensioner before and rattled a bit but usually a good spirited ride gets the tensioner to click onto the next notch.

nednedned 3rd December 2018 11:23 PM

If you get a long screw driver. And put the handle to your ear and put other end on the engine at different points it will help to narrow down where the noise is coming from. I used to get abit of cam chain rattle until it warmed up. If it's tappets you did tighten valve lock nuts properly.

DavyH 4th December 2018 03:08 PM

Pull the valve cover off and check you haven't a rouge locknut hanging about in there

the landshark 4th December 2018 04:57 PM

Pull the clutch, if the noise goes away you need to balance the carbs.
Other than that use the long screwdriver method(or a mechanics stethoscope) to see what's rattling.

stephenryan2525 4th December 2018 05:36 PM

Hey guys! I gave it a very 'enthusiastic' throttling earlier hehe (see what I did there) and it didnt seem help. I've yet to get a screwdriver to it or open the blasted thing again but today I noticed it's never there when cold and it only starts after I do some relatively hard pulls.

Not sure whether to worry more or less about it now :wassat:

stephenryan2525 4th December 2018 05:39 PM

iirc it still rattles with the clutch pulled. The reason I did the valves to begin with is because I was advised to do that first before i balance the carbs

joe williams 4th December 2018 06:12 PM

Did ya change oil aswell ??

stephenryan2525 4th December 2018 09:07 PM

[quote=joe williams;3559156]Did ya change oil aswell ??[/quote]

No I didn't this time. The oil is only 1 month old

joe williams 5th December 2018 12:38 AM

[quote=stephenryan2525;3559185]No I didn't this time. The oil is only 1 month old[/quote]

Check clearances again

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS