Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bike Sheds (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246869)

DMG 29th November 2018 02:11 PM

Bike Sheds

Looking for some advice re Bike sheds, wood versus steel?? (intend placing on an existing concrete paving out the back)

Suggestions, sizes and where to buy?

Thanks.

RTV 29th November 2018 02:43 PM

Re: Bike Sheds

I have a steeltech one, can't say enough good things about it.

Only bad thing is how long they take to deliver, took about 2 months.

Wood is fine but you'll need some type of insulation to avoid condensation.

Airmax95 29th November 2018 03:37 PM

Have a 16*12 Ft wooden shed with double doors
Love the size and look of it but maintenance can be a pain
Had to replace the roof after a few years with a metal one
And have to paint it a few times during the summer
If I had my time over again I would deffo go steeltech
Father and brother both have steeltech and can’t fault them

manbearpig 29th November 2018 04:23 PM

[quote=Airmax95;3558851]Have a 16*12 Ft wooden shed with double doors
Love the size and look of it but maintenance can be a pain
Had to replace the roof after a few years with a metal one
And have to paint it a few times during the summer
If I had my time over again I would deffo go steeltech
Father and brother both have steeltech and can’t fault them[/quote]

Would the wooden one not be better for a bit of a mancave?

Something like the cabins im looking for - bikes and tools on oneside and beerfridge and soundsystem on the other

RTV 29th November 2018 04:38 PM

[quote=manbearpig;3558853]Would the wooden one not be better for a bit of a mancave?

Something like the cabins im looking for - bikes and tools on oneside and beerfridge and soundsystem on the other[/quote]

Why would a metal one not be OK for a mancave? I could spend days inside mine... in fact, I call it the "time machine".

Airmax95 29th November 2018 05:25 PM

[quote=manbearpig;3558853]Would the wooden one not be better for a bit of a mancave?

Something like the cabins im looking for - bikes and tools on oneside and beerfridge and soundsystem on the other[/quote]

It all depends how you kit out the inside
I was just on about the maintenance of wood versus steel :thumbsup2:

NODSTER 29th November 2018 05:42 PM

Our local men's shed hopefully will be purchasing a new steel shed as part of our expansion (a clean dust free environment for arts and crafts and for painting, plus a small kitchen area) We're looking at 9m x 5m, although I think the limit for a residential site without planning permission is 25 square metres. We've visited steeltech and found them the most expensive, so check out some others around the country - might be worth while checking out a few of the other suppliers.

[url]www.admansteelsheds.ie[/url]

[url]www.markssteelsheds.ie[/url]

eirehead 29th November 2018 05:45 PM

I find condensation to be an issue in my steel shed. It's a Yardmaster so presumably not all steel sheds are made equal. Something to keep in mind.

Doolittle 29th November 2018 06:35 PM

Steel will get you a better discount on your insurance than wood, which is a big factor.

Not a recommendation, just have noticed them in passing: [url]https://www.clanesteelgardensheds.i[/url]

scudster 29th November 2018 06:54 PM

I built a 10ft by 10ft steel shed with used/seconds insulated panels a few years back. My only regret is i didnít make it big enough. Insulated panels are a great job and zero condensation although the longer the panel needed the dearer they are per foot.
I built mine from scratch using 50mm box as the frame and 100mm insulated panels and you could dance on the roof itís that sturdy. Cost me about a grand all in.
How big are ya thinkin of makin it?
As Doolittle mentioned above a steel shed counts towards insurance discount, timber sheds donít.

moose loose aboot the hoose 29th November 2018 10:08 PM

Built this this year

16ft x10ft total cost €2600

[url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/rq9RYKPENQmiMvDr9[/url]

DMG 30th November 2018 09:50 AM

Thx for all the replies, I'm only looking to get a shed big enough to hold the bike....already have a garden shed for mower and stuff) what's the minimum size u can get? Steel looks the way to go!!

RTV 30th November 2018 10:36 AM

[quote=eirehead;3558859]I find condensation to be an issue in my steel shed. It's a Yardmaster so presumably not all steel sheds are made equal. Something to keep in mind.[/quote]

100% that's the biggest difference. Adman might be a little bit cheaper at base price than steeltech but by the time you match it up to what steel tech offers as base prices are exactly the same.

Steeltech has the anti-drip interior which also acts as a basic form of insuation and you also have to do the base with insulation as well.

So far, no condensation whatsoever on mine. I went with a 6x4m and it has plenty of space for 2 bikes, tools, bench and plenty of space to work around it.

Jaskin71 30th November 2018 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Building my shed at the moment. The only problem i have is short days and weather :censored:

So far its great fun except I fell down from the roof :bag:

Im trying to use any cheap materials i can get because everything going from my bike budget. Let say 90% of the shed is done and all costs so far stops at 330e including beers :headbang::headbang:
And I had to take down the wall and build some gate as well :smileee:

Im sure I will appreciate my cave after finish ( tv,fridge,xbox,sofa READY!!))

johnny1 30th November 2018 12:36 PM

Steeltech all the way

manbearpig 30th November 2018 12:42 PM

[quote=RTV;3558889]100% that's the biggest difference. Adman might be a little bit cheaper at base price than steeltech but by the time you match it up to what steel tech offers as base prices are exactly the same.

Steeltech has the anti-drip interior which also acts as a basic form of insuation and you also have to do the base with insulation as well.

So far, no condensation whatsoever on mine. I went with a 6x4m and it has plenty of space for 2 bikes, tools, bench and plenty of space to work around it.[/quote]

How much did it set you back?

addicted to rage 1st December 2018 06:53 PM

one of the lads here has a preformed concrete panel shed its amazing cant remember the name of the company. they supply and fit them

RTV 3rd December 2018 09:24 AM

[quote=manbearpig;3558897]How much did it set you back?[/quote]

List price, no discounts at the time. Check their website for current pricing I'd say.

Popcorn750 4th December 2018 03:42 PM

Some nice sheds, I've asked santa for a cement mixer so I can get the base down and start building mine up, want to go steel frame with block surround and insulate the interior and wood panel the exterior wall with pallet planks

renniks 4th December 2018 03:55 PM

[quote=Popcorn750;3559131]Some nice sheds, I've asked santa for a cement mixer so I can get the base down and start building mine up, want to go steel frame with block surround and insulate the interior and wood panel the exterior wall with pallet planks[/quote]

I got an electric mixer off Adverts for Ä150 - did the pad for my workshop with it. Very handy yoke to have, and worked out way cheaper than renting one

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS