Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [newbie] Chain wax general question (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246828)

n2o88 26th November 2018 12:11 PM

[newbie] Chain wax general question

Hi all, brand new rider here, this is possibly a silly question, please bear with me :D

Yesterday I've done my first cleaning&lubing on my motorcycle's chain (it's a 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650, the sport-tourer one).

I've cleaned the chain first with the WD40 Chain Cleaner. Then, after cleaning the rest of the bike, I've applied this WD40 Chain [B]Wax[/B] (for wet conditions says the can).
I've read that with wax you're supposed to apply that after a short ride, so that the chain is warm, but I did the cleaning first, so I couldnt. Instead, i've put the wax on and left it sit overnight.
This morning I noticed that the chain appears dryer than before, which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong in the process.

- am I supposed to go on a quick spin right after applying the wax, to warm it up?
- is it normal that the chain appears "dry" on the touch, with wax?
- is wax good for all sort of chains?
- do you guys have any experience with that particular wax or any suggestions in general?

Thanks in advance :)

efanton 26th November 2018 12:51 PM

Re: [newbie] Chain wax general question

wax will look drier than oil.

yes it is better to put it on a warm chain to help it penetrate between the links, but I have never found it essential to do so. If you put liberal amounts of wax on when the chain is cold it will spread once you go on your next ride, but some of it will be lost and flicked off the chain before it gets a chance to penetrate.
Its more important to wax or oil regularly, and inspect the chain more frequently during the winter months

Wax is recommended during winter months because it is less likely to get washed off in wet conditions, the disadvantage is that it doesn't penetrate the links as well as regular chain oil which is why they recommend applying to a warm chain.

frozen 26th November 2018 01:13 PM

Wax or oil wont penetrate an o ring chain, it's just to protect the outside

Weevil 2.0 26th November 2018 02:08 PM

do it in small quantities but often. Small bottles help to keep them handy under the seat or in a tankbag. my current bike has a center stand so lubing takes few seconds every few days, no problems there.

efanton 26th November 2018 03:50 PM

[quote=frozen;3558598]Wax or oil wont penetrate an o ring chain, it's just to protect the outside[/quote]

I wont penetrate the O-ring, but it will get between where the links over lap.
Thats really where you want the chain oil or wax.

myfirstyamaha 26th November 2018 08:25 PM

Theres no silly questions when learning about bikes,
Everydays a school day

n2o88 26th November 2018 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful

I'll try to lube it more often and give the wax a chance for the next few times. I've got this central paddock stand which is very convenient. Though, living in an apartment with the bike secured in the underground parking is less than ideal for cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks again!

custom900 26th November 2018 09:30 PM

Scottoiler. Google it and get out yer credit card.

green grass 26th November 2018 10:04 PM

[quote=n2o88;3558659]Thanks everyone, that's really helpful

I'll try to lube it more often and give the wax a chance for the next few times. I've got this central paddock stand which is very convenient. Though, living in an apartment with the bike secured in the underground parking is less than ideal for cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks again![/quote]

I hope ya have 3 chains on it..

scarebus03 26th November 2018 10:58 PM

It should be fine, the wax looks dry always when left parked. It does have a tendency to fling off and is a pain to clean off. I used it for a while then went back to the Castrol chain lube.

RobbieBeGood 26th November 2018 11:18 PM

[quote=green grass;3558661]I hope ya have 3 chains on it..[/quote]

And the rest! Seriously though, underground car parks are a thieves paradise in some respects. Make sure you lock it to something immovable with a couple more locks for good measure! Take up as much slack so they don't trail on the ground if possible. An alarmed disc lock can help and a bike cover you can thread a chain through to secure is a good deterrent. Make it a real pain in the ass to remove and you'll be a.o.k :thumbsup2:

blk150 29th November 2018 01:55 PM

[quote=n2o88;3558659]Thanks everyone, that's really helpful

Thanks again![/quote]

Put a tracker on the bike if you can (you can get good ones cheap on Ebay). I spoke to a nice lady from carole nash at a bike show a couple of years ago and she said between 70-75% of bikes that are stolen in Dublin alone where from underground car parks.

n2o88 2nd December 2018 11:21 AM

I actually do have 2 chains and an alarmed disc block. Still not feeling to safe and was exploring options for a tracker. Ultimately, if they want my bike I know they'll have it :/

james f 3rd December 2018 09:31 AM

Just make sure the chain is bone dry after washing before you put on chain wax/oil. You don't want to seal in moisture. The aul fella's leaf blower comes in a treat for drying it off :)

- 4th December 2018 01:07 AM

[quote=custom900;3558660]Scottoiler.[/quote]

+1 on the recommendation for fitting a Scottoiler. Benefits are corrosion protection, less frequent chain adjustment fuss and bother and extended chain life.

[URL=http://s202.photobucket.com/user/GPZ900R/media/C-PIX-C/C%20Stuff/ScottoilerFitted_zps5feuxepc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/GPZ900R/C-PIX-C/C%20Stuff/ScottoilerFitted_zps5feuxepc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS