Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What a Kick in the NUTTS (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246827)

The Road Runner 26th November 2018 11:42 AM

What a Kick in the NUTTS

Just home after spending almost nine weeks in hospital , bike accident,....and the first call this morning was to my bike insurers.......I have fully comp cover, never made a claim in over 30 years or more, and was told when i asked about my gear that had to be cut off me at the scene, oh you are not covered for any motorcycle gear or helmet......approx 2,500 for me to replace .....Feeling very hard done by i have now asked for previous recordings of renewal phone conversations.

I cant remember it being offered as an extra, i thought fully comp covered everything..........if it was never explained to me verbally, do i have a case....or am i just fucked......

dukeboy2 26th November 2018 11:52 AM

Re: What a Kick in the NUTTS

I know when I recently switched the Carole Nash they offered me an extra option to cover my gear in the event of a crash (which I didn't take).

I've only recently switched to a fully comp policy after 10+ years of third-party fire+theft.

I've always assumed fully comp only covered the bike unless the policy explicitly stated that it also covered your gear.

Nine weeks in hospital sounds pretty grim. Hope you are not left with any long term injuries. Get well soon!

The Road Runner 26th November 2018 12:22 PM

[quote=dukeboy2;3558581]I know when I recently switched the Carole Nash they offered me an extra option to cover my gear in the event of a crash (which I didn't take).

I've only recently switched to a fully comp policy after 10+ years of third-party fire+theft.

I've always assumed fully comp only covered the bike unless the policy explicitly stated that it also covered your gear.

Nine weeks in hospital sounds pretty grim. Hope you are not left with any long term injuries. Get well soon![/quote]

Cheers, i will be back on a bike in a few months, very lucky really, im not with carole nash ......i dont think i was offered an extra policy for gear......:thumbsup2:

SUGS 26th November 2018 12:52 PM

[quote=The Road Runner;3558579]Just home after spending almost nine weeks in hospital , bike accident,....and the first call this morning was to my bike insurers.......I have fully comp cover, never made a claim in over 30 years or more, and was told when i asked about my gear that had to be cut off me at the scene, oh you are not covered for any motorcycle gear or helmet......approx 2,500 for me to replace .....Feeling very hard done by i have now asked for previous recordings of renewal phone conversations.

I cant remember it being offered as an extra, i thought fully comp covered everything..........if it was never explained to me verbally, do i have a case....or am i just fucked......[/quote]

speedy recovery .. :thumbsup2:

Check your insurance docs - should be detailed there but most offer separate cover on gear & lid ... albeit with an excess.

Ianasauras 26th November 2018 12:58 PM

Unfortunately if it's not stated that it's covered in your documents then it probably isn't. However, if your accident was caused by a third party you could claim off them.
Good to hear you're alright now.

efanton 26th November 2018 01:05 PM

[quote=Ianasauras;3558594]Unfortunately if it's not stated that it's covered in your documents then it probably isn't. However, if your accident was caused by a third party you could claim off them.
Good to hear you're alright now.[/quote]

This ^^^

If your were not at fault make sure you claim for your gear, you are entitled to full compensation if it was the fault of somebody else

blk150 26th November 2018 02:01 PM

Yeah think it should be in the small print there somewhere. I was offered it as an extra for 16 euro a year but didn't bother.

Glad you out of the hospital lad, good luck with the recovery.

My First Suzuki 26th November 2018 02:02 PM

I was in the same situation when I wrote myself off a few years ago. I had fully comp with CN but the clothing cover was extra & I hadn't taken it up. Everything that I had been wearing was totally wrecked & to make it worse all of the gear was only one year old. Lesson learned :bag:

Phatty McFatt 26th November 2018 03:19 PM

Bleedin' cnuts.. Prompted by this thread i looked at my documents from CN. I have always had the personal injury and gear optionals on my policy. Seems that when i last changed the bike they conveniently forgot about those in the new papers they sent- shows as "not purchased" on the list of available stuff. Gotta get on the phone

efanton 26th November 2018 03:54 PM

[quote=blk150;3558604]Yeah think it should be in the small print there somewhere. [B]I was offered it as an extra for 16 euro a year but didn't bother.
[/B]
Glad you out of the hospital lad, good luck with the recovery.[/quote]

Significantly more than that now. think I had to pay 50-60 this year to cover helmet, gloves, boots, leggings and anything else I was wearing. Thought it was expensive to be honest, but I cant afford to replace 1500+ worth of gear if the worst happened.

bushman 26th November 2018 04:23 PM

glad you're on the mend! Perhaps your house insurance might cover your gear?

thecrutch 26th November 2018 04:27 PM

[quote=efanton;3558622]Significantly more than that now. think I had to pay €50-€60 this year to cover helmet, gloves, boots, leggings and anything else I was wearing. Thought it was expensive to be honest, but I cant afford to replace €1500+ worth of gear if the worst happened.[/quote]

same as this
with axa or carole nash, it was always extra on the my policy, costs about €50/60 for the year,

the op can claim it off the 3rd party, hopefully you're on the road soon

cracker boy 26th November 2018 09:00 PM

I had an accident last year and it wasn't covered with Principal but they offer ot now as an extra (€50).......I took it up this year on renewal.
If you wear pricey gear, it's a no brainer.... the add-on also covers personal injury to yourself in the case of a fully comp claim.

StarBoy 26th November 2018 10:50 PM

Jeez, hope you're ok Henry. As regards the gear, I know it's a balls but maybe it did it's job and saved you. Anyways get better soon. Best Regards.:thumbsup2:

chopper 27th November 2018 10:10 AM

Even if you get the extra cover i think you need to be able to show when you purchased the gear and for how much .

me2 27th November 2018 11:49 AM

[quote=chopper;3558688]Even if you get the extra cover i think you need to be able to show when you purchased the gear and for how much .[/quote]Would that give ya a book value on how much they pay? Noting Lid's are date stamped items!

Speedy recovery R.R.

Sleazy Rider 27th November 2018 02:10 PM

Gear is covered as standard when fully comp with Axa up to 1500 I think

Dinefred 28th November 2018 09:35 PM

Made sure I had it in writing that my gear is covered this year. A small off can wreck a good dianese water[roof set up, with a top helmet aswell your looking well over a grand to replace.
Beiing able to get up and walk away from the bike is always a bonus.

fran 1st December 2018 07:38 PM

Yes C N when finished haggling with you then drop the bomb of adding your gear for about 65. Ends up making your Insurance expensive but as has been said if you are unlucky to have a crap off and destroy your gear then it might pay. Often wonder how good they would be to replace your gear with like for like. Hope I never have to find out.

The Road Runner 3rd December 2018 06:49 PM

Has ayone here had to claim on their own fully comp policy with the underwriters ZENITH.... UK....Principal ireland broker........Were you treated fairly........recently a member had his bike transferred very underhandedly to northern ireland by some crowd......i dont know who the insurer or underwriter was in that case, but it didnt go well for the op.....can anyone remember or link that thread.....just to be fore warned........as i am at the total loss of gear......i cant afford any losses on the bike also.......i do have no claims bonus protection....

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS