Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Quick action throttle - ffs (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=246804)

-alan- 24th November 2018 05:29 PM

Quick action throttle - ffs

Lads,

Changed the bike there. The new one has been fitted with a fast action throttle - about 1/4 turn of the twist grip from zero to wide-open.

I've a couple of hundred miles up on it, but dear gawd it's hard work. Coming into roundabouts, trying to ease off the front brake and gently back onto the throttle - about 1/4 mm too much, and the thing takes a buck-lep forward. Same coming out of T-junctions / garages etc - slip the clutch to move off, roll on a wee bit of throttle and next thing I'm kangarooing out onto the carriageway like a half-wit.

Tried using a taller gear for all the slow speed stuff, but it's still hard work - still too many occurrences of feeling the head thrown back when you get a bang more revs than what you expect.

Is there a knack to it/does it get better with more seat time - or is it just a case of like it or lump it, or just swallow the pill and put the damn thing back to standard ?

Bruce 24th November 2018 05:33 PM

Re: Quick action throttle - ffs

What bike is it?

-alan- 24th November 2018 06:16 PM

Daytona 675 - but with the throttle modded using bits off the Speed triple, which seems to be a common 'upgrade' on them.

kwackquack 24th November 2018 07:48 PM

I have had that on my 636 since I bought it in 2005
Few days later and you wont go back, personal preference and all that of course

allsorts&oddjobs 24th November 2018 07:53 PM

Youll probably get used to it, id give it another few miles before changing to standard.

-alan- 24th November 2018 08:09 PM

[quote=kwackquack;3558452]I have had that on my 636 since I bought it in 2005
Few days later and you wont go back, personal preference and all that of course[/quote]

I thought that might be the case, but I definitely aint got there yet.
Did ye have the same kind of bother at the start as I'm having ?

kwackquack 24th November 2018 08:32 PM

[quote=-alan-;3558456]I thought that might be the case, but I definitely aint got there yet.
Did ye have the same kind of bother at the start as I'm having ?[/quote]

Not really but yours is a triple and mine an inline4 so I'm not sure how they compare, fueling could play in on throttle response too

jp biker 24th November 2018 08:35 PM

White Daytona Dublin?

seano 24th November 2018 08:48 PM

For the people who are using one and find it better, why is it?

Jack stowage 24th November 2018 09:21 PM

[quote=seano;3558460]For the people who are using one and find it better, why is it?[/quote]

less action your wrist....saving it for more important things....:lbhbh:

-alan- 24th November 2018 09:26 PM

^ :lbhbh:

I'd have thought they'd be standard fitment on all Beemers if that were the case (cage and bikes alike..) :cool3:

-alan- 24th November 2018 09:34 PM

[quote=kwackquack;3558458]Not really but yours is a triple and mine an inline4 so I'm not sure how they compare, fueling could play in on throttle response too[/quote]

Could maybe be something to do with the map at part-throttle on the Daytona not being the same as the Street Triple perhaps.

jic44 24th November 2018 09:52 PM

have hopped from QA to standard throttle and back again manys a time in the same afternoon before and adjusted straight away without even noticing. id say your problem is elsewhere

Holy Moly 24th November 2018 10:21 PM

1/4 throttle is old school, need to install an on/off switch these days.

N11 EXPRESS 24th November 2018 11:05 PM

Canít see why anyone would want one unless your doing track days

-alan- 24th November 2018 11:39 PM

[quote=jic44;3558468]have hopped from QA to standard throttle and back again manys a time in the same afternoon before and adjusted straight away without even noticing. [B]id say your problem is elsewhere[/B][/quote]

The last 4 years riding a 670ib baste perhaps..:bag:

Gixxer 24th November 2018 11:49 PM

Change it back to stock. Job jobbed.

pedrosixfour 25th November 2018 12:16 AM

[quote=N11 EXPRESS;3558473]Canít see why anyone would want one unless your doing track days[/quote]

I'd like to get one for the ZRX as the travel between idle and wide open is more than I can manage without either starting at an awkward angle (and therefore returning to the same awkward angle on let off) or making it a two-part motion, which is a pain in the hole to be honest.

No point in only having 75% of the bike's potential to hand when a simple kit can offer all of it.

A more consistent handhold on the bars has to count for something, from a safety aspect, too. No?

-alan- 25th November 2018 12:52 AM

I wouldn't be 100% on the safety thing - probably the opposite in fact.

Googled a bit more about them on the 675 forum - basically it's a smaller diameter throttle off a different model (1050 or the Street Triple). Changes the gearing, but also seems to take up all the slack. The combination of the two makes the damn thing ultra sensitive to changes in throttle position.

[I]"Nobody ever mentions how much quicker it is to shift because of how short the throw is now. Great mod. Thats my favorite thing about it, clutchless shifting is a breeze with the smaller turn. But the ***** of it is bigger jumps on bumpy broken streets."[/I]

That's exactly what mine feels like - slightest change in pressure on the grip almost (never mind the movement) and you've got a fistful of revs, throws your weight back, and if you're not careful the plot gets worse. I honestly don't think you could do a slow feet-up full lock turn on the thing the way it is now without slipping the clutch in case things get out of hand.

I reckon with the 675s somebody discovered you could do it cheaply with another interchangeable part from Triumph, and it went viral as a 'cheap performance upgrade'. Not too many bothered to ask why - if it was so good - the factory didn't send them all out like that in the first place. It's a trade off between throttle feel and fine adjustment vs a quicker but much coarser response.

I reckon I'll give this one another couple of hundred miles, and if I don't get the hang of it, fkit, I'll put her back to stock :thumbsup2:

corkgsxr 25th November 2018 09:29 AM

I always found 1/4 turn improved things.

Never felt them too aggressive.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS