Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Poxy Ducati single side swing arm nut...... (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=238341)

Japcati 17th May 2017 05:43 PM

Poxy Ducati single side swing arm nut......

The nut is fuckin welded on me thinks.
Anit no budging the bastid.
Could feel my back starting to give way,so said no more.
Tried a can of WD40,a 3 foot breaker bar and a special 46/41mm socket to suit.
Looks like its a trip to a motorbike shop and an air impact gun job to get the rear wheel off.

Apart from burning the bike,anyone got any ideas?:bikerie::lbhbh:

gixer1100 17th May 2017 05:50 PM

Re: Poxy Ducati single side swing arm nut......

had a problem with one on a bike before
go to a tyre shop,one that does truck tyres and
they'll have a air gun and will take it out for you....
mine wouldn't move with the air gun I had myself...

gixer1100 17th May 2017 05:52 PM

oh and bring ur socket with you
cos as you know there fairly big

Japcati 17th May 2017 05:58 PM

Thanks for that.

jmorris 17th May 2017 06:12 PM

Possibility it is treaded the other way- clockwise to open, anti clockwise to tighten- prevents the torque of the axle from loosening the nut as you drive? Worth a try!

batman_oh 17th May 2017 06:13 PM

I'll sell you a Ryobi Impact wrench I bought when taking mine off but don't want now :lbhbh:

eyore 17th May 2017 06:15 PM

[quote=jmorris;3474411]Possibility it is treaded the other way- clockwise to open, anti clockwise to tighten- prevents the torque of the axle from loosening the nut as you drive? Worth a try![/quote]

Bad plan:woots:.........................its a right hand thread.:rolleyes2:
Man up Japcati and put an extension on the breaker bar,:thumbsup2:

Japcati 17th May 2017 06:17 PM

Im gonna give it one more go,sprayed the nut with some of that Lidl anti rust spray and am will use a satelite dish pole as a lever,and also pray a little.:unsure2:

eyore 17th May 2017 06:18 PM

[quote=Japcati;3474415]Im gonna give it one more go,sprayed the nut with some of that Lidl anti rust spray and am will use a satelite dish pole as a lever,and also pray a little.:unsure2:[/quote]

Suppose ya will unplug the satellite dish first.Health and safety :thumbsup2::biggrin_old:

Jofass 17th May 2017 06:53 PM

The torque settings are beyond belief on ducati sss's... get someone to sot on the bike while you do it, be prepared to stand on the bar...!

Vjmc.Cork 17th May 2017 06:55 PM

Have you tried hitting it with your purse?
:lbhbh:

Japcati 17th May 2017 07:05 PM

Success,that anti rust spray combined with a few smacks of a lump hammer and the satelite dish pole did the trick.:smileee:
Cabletied the rear brake on too.

Now to send the wheels off for painting.

Frankkilty 17th May 2017 07:11 PM

Has it got locktite on it? Perhaps apply some heat first to melt it if it has...

Japcati 17th May 2017 07:14 PM

[quote=Frankkilty;3474442]Has it got locktite on it? Perhaps apply some heat first to melt it if it has...[/quote]

Didnt see any on it,it was just siezed on or absolutely torqued the fcuk on.:lbhbh:

eyore 17th May 2017 07:18 PM

[quote=Japcati;3474445]Didnt see any on it,it was just siezed on or absolutely torqued the fcuk on.:lbhbh:[/quote]

176Nm:woots:

Japcati 17th May 2017 07:26 PM

[quote=eyore;3474446]176Nm:woots:[/quote]

Crazy,but Ducati must have that spec of torque for a reason.

iano 17th May 2017 07:32 PM

[quote=Vjmc.Cork;3474433]Have you tried hitting it with your purse?
:lbhbh:[/quote]

Lmao

woodsman 17th May 2017 07:54 PM

Should've got your husband to have a go at it.:lbhbh:

iano 17th May 2017 07:59 PM

Probly yer lederhosens are too tite

PADDYOT 17th May 2017 08:36 PM

Had this very same problem trying to get a new tyre fitted to my yoke a couple of years ago. A common enough issue apparently, they over torque the shit out of them at the factory (I'm talking 140 odd nm!)

I'd brought the bike to the lads in RPM. After an hour Pento came out and explained the issue: It wouldn't budge.

After trying the usual air gun, followed by an extension bar, then a heat gun, no joy.
We then settled on a plan, whilst I was sat on the bike holding it steady the two lads went at it again, this time with a 6 foot scaffolding pipe on the end of the extension bar (I'm not exaggerating). Bastard thing was stuck solid. They guys didn't want to try any more force for fear of breaking the bike or injuring someone.

After much head scratching, it was decided to go to the local Truck DOE test centre just outside Drogheda to see if they had the machinery capable of getting the nut loose. I rolled up, got some very strange looks as I explained to the lads there my predicament. A minute later a lad comes out with the biggest fucking rattle gun I'd ever fucking seen, it was twice the size of a large fire extinguisher..

"You'd better sit on the bike and hold it steady because this thing could flip your bike over backwards - we use it on the truck wheels that are REALLY stuck"

RAT TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT for a good thirty seconds before the bastard nut loosened. Threw the dude a tenner, popped back to RPM and got the new tyre on.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS