Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   So you thought Harley riders were mostly a shower of w*nkers.. (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=245048)

-alan- 8th August 2018 10:41 AM

So you thought Harley riders were mostly a shower of w*nkers..

Seems you could be right..

[url]https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/07/harley-davidson-wont-be-saved-by-its-electric-motorcycle-plans/[/url]

[I]"HD turned its marketing in the early 80s to a toxic stew of machismo and white nationalism dog whistles. It fostered a culture of ugly male entitlement.

And it got a lot of white, middle-aged accountants and lawyers to buy into being weekend assholes, regardless of how careful they were to be useful members of society the rest of the week. The demographic of Harley Davidson riders are proud of having inefficient, incredibly loud and hideously expensive bikes. Wretched excess. Strong overlap with the rolling coal demographic".[/I]

:)

acdc 8th August 2018 11:14 AM

Re: So you thought Harley riders were mostly a shower of w*nkers..

[I][B]taking the weekend off to been a noisy asshole[/B][/I]:lbhbh::lbhbh:

Gixxer 8th August 2018 11:33 AM

The article is very true, and he's right that electric Harley's won't sell.
I commented on this thread [url]http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=244938[/url], and said Harley's are going extinct, and their new bikes won't sell, but it's harley riders that are going extinct. Harley Davidson simply can't find enough arseholes to keep them afloat, and this last-ditch attempt at branching into electric bikes and off-road bikes is just grasping at straws.
Once the fucking eejits sell up because their wives tell them to, the ones who bought a Harley after wanking over a picture of an alpha male character from Sons of Anarchy, that'll be it for Harley. It's all downhill from there.

pedrosixfour 8th August 2018 11:48 AM

[quote=Gixxer;3548596]It's all downhill from there.[/quote]

Surely that's a Harley's best chance of keeping up?

Gixxer 8th August 2018 12:08 PM

[quote=pedrosixfour;3548598]Surely that's a Harley's best chance of keeping up?[/quote]

:lbhbh:

oroura25 8th August 2018 12:21 PM

I sat up on one in my overalls in the showroom in Dublin and I looked super duper cool!

Sleazy Rider 8th August 2018 12:44 PM

[quote=oroura25;3548602]I sat up on one in my overalls in the showroom in Dublin and I looked super duper cool![/quote]

Was that not a Barney onsie ya were wearing?

-alan- 8th August 2018 01:15 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3548596]The article is very true, and he's right that electric Harley's won't sell.
I commented on this thread [url]http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=244938[/url], and said Harley's are going extinct, and their new bikes won't sell, but it's harley riders that are going extinct. Harley Davidson simply can't find enough arseholes to keep them afloat, and this last-ditch attempt at branching into electric bikes and off-road bikes is just grasping at straws.
Once the fucking eejits sell up because their wives tell them to, the ones who bought a Harley after wanking over a picture of an alpha male character from Sons of Anarchy, that'll be it for Harley. It's all downhill from there.[/quote]

Yeah - could be the beginning of the end.

Daft thing is, they realised this at least 15 years ago when they bought Buell and commissioned Porsche to help them move away from the trad air-cooled lumps with the Revo engine in the VRod - but eventually dropped both because the 'faithful' didn't like them. Sat on their hands and marked time until it's near as damnit too late.

Dub Duke 8th August 2018 10:10 PM

[quote=pedrosixfour;3548598]Surely that's a Harley's best chance of keeping up?[/quote]

:lbhbh::lbhbh:

Dub Duke 8th August 2018 10:12 PM

Time for turbo charging. Some success in the 70s charging old heaps!

grumpy1 8th August 2018 10:37 PM

Well I like em. Dont own one but still!!!!!I also like Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Triumph etc etc

Sleazy Rider 8th August 2018 11:19 PM

[quote=grumpy1;3548641]Well I like em. Dont own one but still!!!!!I also like Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Triumph etc etc[/quote]

It's nice to see someone admit to it. There is too much tractor bashing goes on.

Each to their own and all for each other.

As bikers we are all a minority and we should look out for each other.

NODSTER 8th August 2018 11:39 PM

I luv my Thaiumph twacktor :-p

pedrosixfour 9th August 2018 01:13 AM

I never said that I disliked them. In fact, they have a special hold over me in some ways because of childhood memories of the sound of a 1200 on approach, start-up and departing due a 50 year family tie to the marque.

There are several I'd like to own, from my uncle's 1970's soft tail (bought new in Oz when he lived there and brought back to Ireland in the early 80's), through to a slick bagger and a custom chopper with a nice stretch, just for the hell of it.

-alan- 9th August 2018 10:24 AM

[quote=grumpy1;3548641]Well I like em. Dont own one but still!!!!!I also like Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Triumph etc etc[/quote]

Hell - I'm on my 3rd (or 4th depending on how you count 'em), but could still end up going back for another spell with one of the proper big sofas.

Or a MkII Le Mans. You know how it goes :cool3:

Caffeine 9th August 2018 11:21 AM

They should start by moving on from those straight line shots.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS