Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   BMW R1200 RT ABS Failure (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=184358)

SUGS 10th December 2012 06:03 PM

Re: BMW R1200 RT ABS Failure

Pretty bad service from BMW Motorrad however I would have assumed that they would or could have looked after you if all servicing was done via BMW authorised dealer. The servo assist was always a bad idea and I believe this was dropped in newer models. I'd imagine you would be better off switching the ABS off.

TBi 24th December 2012 01:24 PM

Brought the bike into Keary's and they diagnosed the failure. They were surprised it had failed after only 30k kms and put in for goodwill.

However lack of service history meant I was out of luck. I wrote an email explaining why i dont go to Kearys (the rip off i mentioned earlier in this thread) and that i got the bike regularly by a BMW trained mechanic.

When I change from this bike back to Honda (who don't have these issues and have good customer service) I'll send them a picture of me and the new bike. It's much harder to win new customers than keep old ones. BMW are doing a good job of getting rid of long term customers.

jogtuning 24th December 2012 09:11 PM

[quote=TBi;2879613]Brought the bike into Keary's and they diagnosed the failure. They were surprised it had failed after only 30k kms and put in for goodwill.

However lack of service history meant I was out of luck. I wrote an email explaining why i dont go to Kearys (the rip off i mentioned earlier in this thread) and that i got the bike regularly by a BMW trained mechanic.

When I change from this bike back to Honda (who don't have these issues and have good customer service) I'll send them a picture of me and the new bike. It's much harder to win new customers than keep old ones. BMW are doing a good job of getting rid of long term customers.[/quote]

I there if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you in the end.

mad maxx 24th December 2012 11:48 PM

That's why I won't buy the
Bring
Me
Workshop bikes

Always buy jap bikes ya can't go wrong

FJRLEE 25th December 2012 12:40 AM

So BMW Motorrad think that a 2 grand repair is OK on a 6 year old 'premium' priced bike with less than 20,000 miles - they should be ashamed. Is this what they mean in adverts that say "usual BMW quality", "legendary BMW quality".

Lack of an official service record is a pathetic (and probably illegal anti competitive) excuse as well. Any reasonable person would expect them to fix it free of charge and issue an apology. I would not let them away with this treatment and go after them through the Irish and European consumer offices.

magnav30 25th December 2012 07:11 PM

[quote=TBi;2879613]Brought the bike into Keary's and they diagnosed the failure. They were surprised it had failed after only 30k kms and put in for goodwill.

When I change from this bike back to Honda (who don't have these issues and have good customer service) I'll send them a picture of me and the new bike. It's much harder to win new customers than keep old ones. BMW are doing a good job of getting rid of long term customers.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for with Honda . I moved away from them this year because they wouldnt honour the warranty . Wouldnt touch BMW after having a few , on the advice of my mechanic .Good Luck

Olaf Maxwell 25th December 2012 08:55 PM

One tip I got with motors is that when you replace pads on an ABS brake system is open bleed valve and let fluid off. Dont push it back up to the resevoir.

Blanka 25th December 2012 11:05 PM

[quote=FJRLEE;2879903]So BMW Motorrad think that a 2 grand repair is OK on a 6 year old 'premium' priced bike with less than 20,000 miles - they should be ashamed. Is this what they mean in adverts that say "usual BMW quality", "legendary BMW quality".

Lack of an official service record is a pathetic (and probably illegal anti competitive) excuse as well. Any reasonable person would expect them to fix it free of charge and issue an apology. I would not let them away with this treatment and go after them through the Irish and European consumer offices.[/quote]

if you rode 20,000 miles in a straight line you'd probably make it around the world. would you expect them to replace a part on a bike that rode around the world? it's bad form and it makes their bikes look a bit shoite imo but i wouldn't expect them to replace a part for free after that sort of mileage

FJRLEE 26th December 2012 02:57 AM

ABS braking could be a matter of life or death - it is not a consumable. It should last longer than 20k miles (which is nothing). They should not quibble, and stand over their expensive products, instead of offloading/blaming the owner. At the very least they should make a significant contribution to the cost.

Something that fails so early was not fit for purpose.

chopper 27th December 2012 06:08 PM

[quote=FJRLEE;2880218]ABS braking could be a matter of life or death - it is not a consumable. It should last longer than 20k miles (which is nothing). They should not quibble, and stand over their expensive products, instead of offloading/blaming the owner. At the very least they should make a significant contribution to the cost.

Something that fails so early was not fit for purpose.[/quote]

its not that simple . theres a lot of court cases going on in states over people hitting cars and blaming the abs . nobody wants to back down and bmw will not recall and admit anything . its a farce , id say the average 12gs that set off around the world got dumped in a garage as soon as the abs fooked up.
btw . ive had several abs3 bikes in with the brakes gone and they were cured without replacing the unit .theres several diff faults with them but the bmw shops want to replace not troubleshoot em .
ans you can replace the fluids without the computer unlike the bmw techs will tell you, its just a routine to follow and it takes time.

Geezer1000 27th December 2012 09:54 PM

Ive the pressure fault on mine. Duffys said its a replacement job.

TBi 28th December 2012 04:04 PM

[quote=Unfazed;2872167]It seems absolutely crazy that an ABS failure leads to no brakes, surely if the ABS fails it should revert to "normal" braking.
Most if not all cars have a failsafe built in, if the ABS gives problems it shuts down and reverts to normal brakes. My last car had an ABS failure and when the light came on it reverted to normal braking. Sounds like a no brainer, I would rather crash due to brake lock up than at full speed due to no brakes.
Unfortunately it appears to be from a lack of maintenance in so far as not changing brake fluid regularly. Does anybody know if the brake fluid change appear as routine service on the owner’s manual and have the failures occurred within the specified change time?[/quote]

New Model does resort to standard brakes, just my model doesn't. I've had my brake fluid changed every two years and when i got it.

[quote=Porridge;2872093]

BMW won't admit that there is a "Complete Loss of Braking". The manual says "residual braking function is available"..... like tell that to my underpants!!! I guess there are way too many ABS Modulator failures, so it would cost them too much to do the right thing and have a recall.

Like you, I wrote to BMW to let them know about the Complete Brake Failure. Got a "Dear John, Too Bad, So Sad, don't bother us" response from their Customer Services Manager.[/quote]

The residual braking is hopeless. I'm happy i ripped the ABS out rather than keep working on a system that could fully fail at any time.

[quote=jogtuning;2879795]I there if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you in the end.[/quote]

About 300 to get it ripped out and new brake lines put in.

[quote=chopper;2880898]its not that simple . theres a lot of court cases going on in states over people hitting cars and blaming the abs . nobody wants to back down and bmw will not recall and admit anything . its a farce , id say the average 12gs that set off around the world got dumped in a garage as soon as the abs fooked up.
btw . ive had several abs3 bikes in with the brakes gone and they were cured without replacing the unit .theres several diff faults with them but the bmw shops want to replace not troubleshoot em .
ans you can replace the fluids without the computer unlike the bmw techs will tell you, its just a routine to follow and it takes time.[/quote]

There are options to get my ABS unit back up and running but my mechanic advised against it as they don't usually keep working for long afterwards.

[quote=Blanka;2880143]if you rode 20,000 miles in a straight line you'd probably make it around the world. would you expect them to replace a part on a bike that rode around the world? it's bad form and it makes their bikes look a bit shoite imo but i wouldn't expect them to replace a part for free after that sort of mileage[/quote]

I wouldn't mind so much if you still had braking when it goes, but when it goes you lose almost all braking and you don't know you've lost it until you squeeze the brakes. I would actually pay the €2000 if they put in the newer type ABS which doesn't lose power when it fails.

[quote=Geezer1000;2881062]Ive the pressure fault on mine. Duffys said its a replacement job.[/quote]

Mine was the same. There are ways to fix it but don't always last. Best bet is new replacement (fight for one especially if you have service history) or get it ripped out altogether.

Porridge 14th March 2013 05:47 PM

[B]Update:[/B]
As the 2006 Servo-Assisted FTE ABS version failure can result in [U]COMPLETE LOSS OF BRAKES[/U], the [B]National Consumer Agency [/B]took up the matter with BMW Ireland on the grounds of being a Safety Issue.

Positive Result:thumbsup2:

Product Safety
National Consumer Agency
4 Harcourt Road
Dublin 2
Telephone: 3531 4025539
Fax: 3531 4025582
w w w .nca.ie

HIGHSIDER 14th March 2013 05:50 PM

So what does this mean?

Product re-call? :unsure2:

Porridge 14th March 2013 06:05 PM

[quote=HIGHSIDER;2940143]So what does this mean?

Product re-call? :unsure2:[/quote]

BMW won't admit liability, but will replace the unit.
Apparantly there is some big legal Hoo-Ha going on in the USA related to it, so nobody is prepared to stick their head above the wall and admit a problem. And then there is the potential cost to BMW if they were to open the floodgates officially.

Pity owners have to go to such lengths to deal with Sh!t quality issues like this, but it's comforting to know that if you shout loud enough, big business can't just fob you off, though they will try.

This process worked because there was a [U]genuine safety issue[/U], on a bike that had a [U]100% F.BMW.SH.[/U]

People should also be able to pursue a claim under the [B]Sale of Goods Act [/B]which has a general acceptance that non-consumable items such as Fridge-Freezers and Major Vehicular components should have an expected life of at least 6 years.

corrcullen 19th April 2013 11:20 PM

[quote=Porridge;2940152]BMW won't admit liability, but will replace the unit.
Apparantly there is some big legal Hoo-Ha going on in the USA related to it, so nobody is prepared to stick their head above the wall and admit a problem. And then there is the potential cost to BMW if they were to open the floodgates officially.

Pity owners have to go to such lengths to deal with Sh!t quality issues like this, but it's comforting to know that if you shout loud enough, big business can't just fob you off, though they will try.

This process worked because there was a [U]genuine safety issue[/U], on a bike that had a [U]100% F.BMW.SH.[/U]

People should also be able to pursue a claim under the [B]Sale of Goods Act [/B]which has a general acceptance that non-consumable items such as Fridge-Freezers and Major Vehicular components should have an expected life of at least 6 years.[/quote]

Replace the unit under what circumstances?

Frankkilty 20th April 2013 11:03 AM

BMW R1200 RT ABS Failure

[quote=corrcullen;2966363]Replace the unit under what circumstances?[/quote]

It's within a certain timeframe

corrcullen 20th April 2013 11:51 AM

[quote=Frankkilty;2966517]It's within a certain timeframe[/quote]

Any idea of the time frame?
The servo assisted RTs were 2005 and 2006, so they are all 6-8 years old at this stage.

Frankkilty 20th April 2013 07:03 PM

BMW R1200 RT ABS Failure

My GSA was was 7 or 8 when it tried to kill me two years ago and duffys tried to get me a new servo but Germany said no.

mmcgee 26th April 2013 10:35 PM

Where would I locate "Alan in Keary's", any contact details. Im looking for a good lad to service my gs

tonyb 13th August 2013 09:38 PM

Just seen your thread now I have the same problem, in my case the servo is not msking any noise ! its a 2006 with 11,000 km

Any ideas?
Kr tony
:smileee:

Kealan 13th August 2013 11:12 PM

Everyone is saying "the units fail / go / give up"...it sounds a bit like a fat washing machine serviceman standing with his finger in his bellybutton diagnosing it as "she's fucked"

Does anyone know which component actually fails? Has anyone tried reflowing the PCB in them if it's a bad solder issue?

tonyb 14th August 2013 02:55 PM

BMW R1200 RT ABS Failure

Has anyone got a defibrillator to hand ????
Just back from duffys and met with a sound chap called Sean , he gave me the bad news is servo gone and looking to replace with new one costing up on 2500 eu !!! Bike has only 11,000kms on it !
Need to lie down with the shock , any sane suggestions welcomed

Pissed off

Frankkilty 14th August 2013 02:58 PM

I feel really bad for you.

Have you give. Mark in platnium motorcycles a call? Perhaps he could do a servoectomy? Means you would have no abs though.

I still have no idea how BMW have got away with this.

Fledermaus 14th August 2013 03:22 PM

[quote=tonyb;3036888]Has anyone got a defibrillator to hand ????
Just back from duffys and met with a sound chap called Sean , he gave me the bad news is servo gone and looking to replace with new one costing up on 2500 eu !!! Bike has only 11,000kms on it !
Need to lie down with the shock , any sane suggestions welcomed

Pissed off[/quote]

Is the servo and ABS modulator the same unit,just by a different name?
If so,maybe a few second hand options here?
[url]http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=35&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_10_35_HA_70[/url]
:thumbsup2:

jimgoose 14th August 2013 03:28 PM

Am I missing something here? I do hope so. Nearly every piss-ant cage these days has servo-assisted ABS brakes, and they're as reliable as the day is long. How is it that the mighty Bayerische Motoren Werke can't do this on a motorbike without making a complete billocks of it?? :wassat:

chopper 14th August 2013 03:42 PM

Theres a guy in russia reconditioning them for 200 . I wouldnt mind getting a fooked one to have a look inside !

tonyb 14th August 2013 05:23 PM

Thanks for the support I honestly am fed to the back teeth with this, I bought the bike of a guy I knew whom had done very low mileage , as soon as I bought it, I brought it in to motoradd to get full service and fluids done , then after 6 months the servo /abs module acts up and they now looking for 2500 to fix it , it's hard to believe
,I am genuinely stunned at the cost of same, I realise I can bypass the system for 400 eu but if I wanted to sell on the bike this would have a major negative effect on the price, either way I am screwed ! I have been an advocate of BMW until this but , moreover it's scandalous that an know error on an abs system is allowed out there and BMW haven't had a recall or refit,

tonyb 14th August 2013 05:24 PM

[quote=Frankkilty;3036893]I feel really bad for you.

Have you give. Mark in platnium motorcycles a call? Perhaps he could do a servoectomy? Means you would have no abs though.

I still have no idea how BMW have got away with this.[/quote]

Thanks frank I will try him and see what's what , cheers :thumbsup2:

renniks 14th August 2013 07:37 PM

[quote=tonyb;3036996]Thanks for the support I honestly am fed to the back teeth with this, I bought the bike of a guy I knew whom had done very low mileage , as soon as I bought it, I brought it in to motoradd to get full service and fluids done , then after 6 months the servo /abs module acts up and they now looking for 2500 to fix it , it's hard to believe
,I am genuinely stunned at the cost of same, I realise I can bypass the system for 400 eu but if I wanted to sell on the bike this would have a major negative effect on the price, either way I am screwed ! I have been an advocate of BMW until this but , moreover it's scandalous that an know error on an abs system is allowed out there and BMW haven't had a recall or refit,[/quote]

Just out of interest, is the warning light flashing at 4 cycles/sec? I started to get this on my 1150gs a couple of months ago - rear disc is a bit loose, so my problem may just be down to that. My front brakes still work fine

rdryder 14th August 2013 10:13 PM

[quote=chopper;3036919]Theres a guy in russia reconditioning them for 200 . I wouldnt mind getting a fooked one to have a look inside ![/quote]

Think I have my one that packed in last dec, must have a gander for it, all yours if I can find it..

You are close re: russia
Well, in name only:lbhbh:
The crowd you are refering to is in Moscow, Idaho:woots:

Airman 14th August 2013 10:17 PM

maybe a no hoper but I've used these guys to repair all sorts of boards on equipment, tiny PCB's to etc (half the time the components are smaller than the solder tip)
if it's just a component problem, they may be able to diagnose it and repair.

[url]http://www.lektronix.ie/[/url]

not sure how much they'd charge to look [B]if[/B] you could send the board to them ?

rdryder 14th August 2013 10:19 PM

[quote=tonyb;3036996]Thanks for the support I honestly am fed to the back teeth with this, I bought the bike of a guy I knew whom had done very low mileage , as soon as I bought it, I brought it in to motoradd to get full service and fluids done , then after 6 months the servo /abs module acts up and they now looking for 2500 to fix it , it's hard to believe
,I am genuinely stunned at the cost of same, I realise I can bypass the system for 400 eu but if I wanted to sell on the bike this would have a major negative effect on the price, either way I am screwed ! I have been an advocate of BMW until this but , moreover it's scandalous that an know error on an abs system is allowed out there and BMW haven't had a recall or refit,[/quote]

Get modulator part number and check ebay..
Mine packed in on a k1200s, got one for e250 delivered to door from d U.S.
It was off a different model, cant remember which one tho, but once part number is the same , it,ll work.
All in cost under e400, not cheap but beats paying telephone numbers for a new unit:thumbsup2:

tonyb 14th August 2013 10:45 PM

[quote=rdryder;3037192]Get modulator part number and check ebay..
Mine packed in on a k1200s, got one for e250 delivered to door from d U.S.
It was off a different model, cant remember which one tho, but once part number is the same , it,ll work.
All in cost under e400, not cheap but beats paying telephone numbers for a new unit:thumbsup2:[/quote]

Mighty bit of advice I will try that for sure , thank you for that
Did you fit the module yourself ?

rdryder 14th August 2013 10:55 PM

[quote=tonyb;3037209]Mighty bit of advice I will try that for sure , thank you for that
Did you fit the module yourself ?[/quote]

joe duffys:thumbsup2:
e100 odd iirc

tonyb 14th August 2013 10:56 PM

[quote=renniks;3037050]Just out of interest, is the warning light flashing at 4 cycles/sec? I started to get this on my 1150gs a couple of months ago - rear disc is a bit loose, so my problem may just be down to that. My front brakes still work fine[/quote]

I hope that is all it is! I'm sure you will be fine but maybe be safe rather than sorry
:thumbsup2:

tonyb 14th August 2013 10:58 PM

[quote=rdryder;3037215]joe duffys:thumbsup2:
e100 odd iirc[/quote]

Cheers for that :thumbsup2:

renniks 14th August 2013 11:01 PM

[quote=tonyb;3037217]I hope that is all it is! I'm sure you will be fine but maybe be safe rather than sorry
:thumbsup2:[/quote]

Me too! I'll have to book it in with Platinum to get it seen to, and hope it isn't as serious as your pain

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS