Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cbr F3 F3 Speedo wuestion (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=240308)

C.B.R 13th September 2017 01:46 AM

Cbr F3 F3 Speedo wuestion

I have an cbr 600 f3 with an f2 engine fitted.
F3 had an electronic Speedo sensor
F2 Has a speed cable

So can anyone tell me is there any way I can get the f3 Speedo to work (with an f2 engine fitte)

I have the Speedo sensor for the f3

Thanks for help

spray____ 13th September 2017 09:31 AM

Re: Cbr F3 F3 Speedo wuestion

Most bikes with mechanical speedometers have a cable running to the front wheel that turns gears inside the speedometer.

Most bikes with an electrical speedometer have a wire that runs to the back of the transmission, and sends a signal from the rotation of the output shaft.

Easiest thing to do would be to get an aftermarket gauge. A lot of them come with a magnet that goes on the wheel and a sensor that goes on your fork to measure rotations.

You could probably create this type of thing yourself to work with your existing F3 gauge, but you'd need to know a bit about electronics. Any idea what the F3 speedometer is getting for a signal?

DavyH 13th September 2017 08:06 PM

F3 uses a hall sensor that runs off the gearbox...cheapest and easiest solution is to get an aftermarket Digi dash, alternative is clocks,loom and front wheel off an f2 and possibly other parts like forks and discs and calipers to make it all work. From memory the 01 or so hornet 6 ran off the front sprocket electronically,might be another option.

sidegrinder 14th September 2017 12:13 AM

Aftermarket koso digital clock, speed sensor fitted to front fork, magnet in disc bolt- job done

doctorchopper 14th September 2017 10:42 AM

I'd say he's trying to do it on the cheap, for the price of those koso digital clocks you'd get a whole f3 engine

sidegrinder 14th September 2017 12:29 PM

doing it on the cheap? then use the gps on the smartphone , fit a 12v socket to the bike. Nav, comms, music , speedo all in one

spray____ 14th September 2017 01:23 PM

That or a cycling computer. You can pick them up on fleabay for a tenner. Just make sure the speed does triple digits.

allsorts&oddjobs 14th September 2017 03:09 PM

[quote=C.B.R;3496788]I have an cbr 600 f3 with an f2 engine fitted.
F3 had an electronic Speedo sensor
F2 Has a speed cable

So can anyone tell me is there any way I can get the f3 Speedo to work (with an f2 engine fitte)

I have the Speedo sensor for the f3

Thanks for help[/quote]

I would assume there are two ways to do this, either go electronic or cable, either way you will have to change something, if you go electronic you will be keeping your clocks and wiring so you will have to fit the sensor and trigger ( usually a magnet ) from the f3 engine, check where and how they were mounted to the old engine to see if its feasible.
if you go the cable route you will need to change your clock for a cable operated one and also fit the cable, it might be attached to the gearbox output and if so your ok, if not you might end up changing front wheel to have a speedo drive,
dunno which is cheaper/easier, depends on the bike.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS